logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Possible GOWK counter?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:11 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I know it's not perfect. And I know I haven't been around. And I haven't play tested this yet, but it at least seems like a possiblity.

--Possible GOWK counter?--
58 Boba Fett, Mercenary
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
10 San Hill
4 Gran Raider
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 9 activations)

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject: Re: Possible GOWK counter?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

While it's a good squad not sure if it'd be great against GOWK. While Dooku is a direct counter to GOWK, he still isn't competitive enough against everyone else. He has no defensive abilities against range, so while you run Dooku up to take on GOWK, he'll get slaughtered by Rex and Dash (while you're adjacent and with no cover, Rex needs 5s and Dash needs 7s).

Basically it would go like this:
your final activation you run up Dooku and Force Lightning 2 for 30dam on GOWK [GOWK = 90 HP, HBg=10 HP]
if you win init, you activate Dooku and double for 40 [GOWK=70 and his HBg is dead]
Rex activates, moves adjacent, and dishes 80 on you [Dooku = 50 HP]
Dash activates, moves adjacent, and dished 80 on you [Dooku = dead]

Say, Dash only makes 2 of his attacks since he needs 7s, then Dooku = 10 HP.
You activate Fett and try to get GOWK...he removes both shots with SSM. If he misses 1 then he's at 40 HP.
GOWK activates and kills you, you Riposte and GOWK is 20 HP.
Now GOWK probably runs out of LoS to recharge FP, leaving a probably full heath Dash and Rex to take on Boba (which won't be all that difficult)

---------------

What would you bring in for Reserves?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, a smart move would be to leave Dooku unactivated until the end of the round. You don't activate him first and let Dash get those 4 Opporutnist shots off.

With a squad like this, you'd have to play cat/mouse with the GOWK squad, letting Boba pick things off with Accurate as he's able to.

The other problem is, any solid player will do their best to make sure you can't just run up 6 squares and use Lightning at the end of a round. It's too easy to count to 12. So in most cases, what you'll be forced to do, is run Dooku up at the end of a round, then next init, use Lightning to take out R2 and put some damage on whatever he's next to. Honestly, I think killing Dash/Rex is MUCH more important for this squad. If you can eliminate Dash or Rex and leave Dooku with 40-60 HP still by that point, then you've got a solid chance at winning the game. GOWK needs 11's to hit Dooku at all, and then Dooku gets his Makashi saves against GOWK's attacks. You can't go after GOWK first, because as Jedispyder pointed out, Rex/Dash will tear you up in the meantime.

Now, the real problem is this...If you don't kill Rex REAL quick, he's going to put a fair amount of damage on Dooku over the course of two rounds, pretty easy. If you can keep Dooku in cover, that helps, and Rex needs 9's even without cover. But I've seen plenty of times where my opponent rolls 4 dice, and their all a 15 or higher, lol. Two rounds of pummeling from Rex and Dooku would be dead. So you'll have to be super careful about who you attack, and when.

I think this is probably one of the best Dooku of Serreno suggestions I've seen yet though.

Something else to consider though....how will it fare against the other builds that we already know are good GOWK counters? I think this would do OK against the Rebel Push squads, and San Hill in general is typically powerful against B&B. But I think this might end up struggling against the Vong. It would all come down to how well you roll your Makashi saves against the Jedi Hunter attacks.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:55 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Yeah,

I would slow play it and play cat and mouse and try to pick off Dash and Rex with Boba, if I could. Difficult to pull off.

And yeah, it hurt not having been around the game much in the last few months.

Just tried this squad against a GOWK squad, and did decent. What hurt me was I got San's Reserves (sep reserves don't help much) which gave my opponent 20 extra points on the scoreboard. Game ended with Dooku at 90 hp, my opponent's JWM at 40 HP and GOWK still strong.

I still think Makashi on a solid NR beat would help against the GOWK 'problem'.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jedi1972 wrote:
Yeah,

I would slow play it and play cat and mouse and try to pick off Dash and Rex with Boba, if I could. Difficult to pull off.

And yeah, it hurt not having been around the game much in the last few months.

Just tried this squad against a GOWK squad, and did decent. What hurt me was I got San's Reserves (sep reserves don't help much) which gave my opponent 20 extra points on the scoreboard. Game ended with Dooku at 90 hp, my opponent's JWM at 40 HP and GOWK still strong.

I still think Makashi on a solid NR beat would help against the GOWK 'problem'.

What did you bring in with Reserves, if you don't mind my asking? I would think that a BG droid for Dooku would be a prime reserves piece.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I brought in some low cost shooters to CF with Boba. The JWM is hard to hit in cover with GOWK's CE.

Yeah, I thought of the BGD AFTER I already brought the others out.