logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Trying to work out a cool Black Sun squad...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Building a 200pt squad and trying to use Blck Sun pieces, so far I've got:

22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
08 Mas Amedda
36 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo x2
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
40 Prince Xizor
31 Arica

so, thats 7 activations/157pts, what should I do with the other 43 points?

Thought about:
(Mith)Thrawn, Czerka Scientist, Rodian Black Sun Vigo, Lobot CLO

not sure

WWJD

Post subject: Re: Trying to work out a cool Black Sun squad...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:53 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I wouldn't use Prince Xizor, I'd use Xizor so they get the +4/10. Prince Xizor does absolutely NOTHING for the TBSV (they don't have Stealth so they don't gain Accurate Shot). So that saves you 10 points.

Definitely use either Lobot or Lobot CLO. If you're using CLO mainly for Reserves don't forget Xizor has Reserves 20, which will allow any of the BSVs to come in (as well as a Czerka). You could bring in CLO as well to get Reserves 20+30 which would be great, but in cases like that don't forget Reserves count for Victory Points cause that's the main thing one forgets in those cases.

I'd also think about a Melee interference piece such as Jarael. She works like PB&J with the TBSV because not only does he allow her to get GMA but she also uses Shockstaff to try and activate someone for the TBSV's Opportunist 20.

A Czerka is great for the TBSV. Quad at +17 for 40? Yes, please!

You definitely need activation control, and if you go with a Thrawn then I'd go with a mix of Rodian Brutes (Swap) and Uggies (extra Door Control). You definitely need a large activation control to make sure you get off Opportunist.

I'm not exactly sure whether I'd use Arica or not. She's an ok piece, but she doesn't really fit with this squad. It appears she's there just to be there. I'd really take her out.

As for a RBSV....I definitely wouldn't use him in the core squad. He's too fragile at 40 HP for 24 points. His CE is only helping the fodder. If you want him and you're using Lobot CLO then you can bring him in as Reserves, but I'd really keep him back and not use him to attack until end of round. He would be +13 for 30 with Opportunist (if you're using mitthThrawn).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

The best 2 factions for Black Sun are Sith and Imperials in my opinion. 4 attacking Vigos is always nice in the imperials.. But with the sith the get massive force points to use for rerolls and extra movement.

I would go something like this in the Sith.

Black Hologram

30 Xizor
54 Twilek Black Sun Vigo x3
11 Sid Hologram
27 Lobot
13 Czerka Scientist
11 Human Bodyguard
8 R7 Astromech Droid
23 Jarael
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
9 Mouse Droid x3
5 Caamasi Noble

Reinforcement:

20 Bith Black Sun Vigo

Obviously there are many differrent variants you can go with for this squad, but this is what I typically run with.

Keep in mind that the Lancer, and Yoda on Kybuck completely kill this squad.. But it is still really fun to play.

Also you can go the republic Route with Flobi.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Unfortunatly I don't have the IE Xizor... :cry:

My thinking with using Imperials is that Tarkin gives the TBSVs an extra attack, so they can take better advantage of their GMA. Prince Xizor, cool as he is really isn't worth the points is he... See, I had Arica there becaue he gives her accurate, and Accurate Blaster Barrage is very appealing, but too expensive.

What about;

32 (Mith)Thrawn
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
08 Mas Amedda
36 Twilek Black Sun Vigo x2
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
13 Czerka Scientist
13 Jawa Scavenger
15 Lobot, CLO
23 Emperor's Shadow Guard
10 Caamasi Noble x2
08 Gran Raider x2
200/14 activations

I know it's a little lacking in power, but i think it could be a real annoying squad to face under the right circumstances. I think the shadow guards are great with Thrawn and the vigos, +12/30 damage, Evade, GMA. The Jawa is there to take care of any lancers I come accross.

Any better? I know it'll never be a tier 1 build ;)

WWJD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:50 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Here's a Seperatist Black Sun squad that I think has real promise. I still have to play test it but its got just the right amount of good stuff in it. I mainly wanted to play around with the idea of Whorm + Guri +Xizor. Here's what I came up with.

--Black Sun Operations--
30 Xizor
25 Guri
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
20 General Whorm Loathsom
36 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo x2
15 Whiphid Tracker
42 Aqualish Assassin x6
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 17 activations)

Xizor is already hard to hit and with Guri next to him, he definetly has survivability. Guri is great on her own. She can double twin for total of 80 dmg at +17 attack, and she has a good defense, HP and not to mention stealth. She is one of my two cunning attackers in this squad. Usually as a rule, in any squad I build I always put in a Cunning Attacker and in this case I have a cunning melee and my favorite cunning shooter, the Whipid Tracker, mostly because his cost fits just right in most of squads I build. The Whipid Tracker can safely sit behind your lines and shoot away with twin cunning for 60 dmg to any one target, so he's not bad. The TBSV's are beasts as usually with GMA twin opportunist at +17 attack. They can dish out 80 dmg easily. The AA's are just plain nasty for 7 points. You have GMA twin opportunist for total of 60 dmg at +15 attack. The BBSV is also a decent shooter and can hurt unactivated people with his GMA twin at +14 (maybe +18) attack for 60 dmg.This squad is just a damage dealing monster of a squad. And unlike most other Black Sun squads, it actually has a beatstick of sorts in the form of Guri. I like how this squad mixes melee in nicely with ranged, giving you lots of options. The only weak spot I can see is for your Mouse Droids to be taken out. Hopefully the opponent will have such a hard time taking them out, that they will get slaughtered by your minis before that happens. Disruptive is only a problem for the AA's and even then not to terribly be a problem since they can still do 20 dmg at +11 attack. The shooters shouldn't have to much trouble if they are positioned correctly.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

@Obikenobi - there are a couple issues with your build you will want to work out:

1) Guri may only bodyguard "Prince Xizor" (unless you have a house rule for that)

2) TBSVs cannot gain twin from Whorm as they are not followers

I do like the idea though :)

Personally, I would like to see a version of Xizor that combines the CEs of both existing versions, even if his point cost were pretty high. That would be amazing. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Prince Xixor is worth his points. Just don't waste them as many are prone to do. Unfortuantly other than some commanders there is only 1 BS follower with stealth that require accurate shot and he does not benefit from some black sun abilities, ala black sun the ability. If you do not have hte IE Xixor then go with what you have and toss in a Czerka and a couple of Keldor BH's. Also having a couple of Aqulish Assasins is nice too. Grenades 20 granted from Xixor is a great ability and from a stealth character that is only 7 points. I wouldn't complain.

Okay here's my take;

Prince Xixor 40 points
TBSV x 2 36 points
Arica 31 points
RBSV 24 points (possible reinforcements)
Tarkin Imperial Governer 22 Points
BBSV 20 points
CLobot 15 points (possible reinforcements)
Mouse Droid x2 6 points
Uggie Demo x 2 6 points

With the possible reinforcements you can really do a hurting to an opponent. This is also a way to spread around the Vigo's CE's by bring in a couple more mice, however those CE's are very limited in effect in this squad.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon