logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: PloBuck
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

After my fiance pulled Plo at out sealed event i just had to come up with something for him.

--PloBuck--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
40 Plo Koon, Jedi Master
33 Captain Rex
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Rodian Diplomat
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(199pts. 9 activations)

Yobuck basicly does what he does best and runs around whacking things for 20-40 damage at a time. Once he is done you swap him out for fodder or for Plo and set up Plo's Opportunist. I like the fact that its a good yobuck squad thats not centered on yobuck doing everything by himself as ive gotten into that habbit running skybuck. Here is your setup man and a good finisher.

Plo is a fantastic piece him and Wolf are the only 2 melee figs i can think of with built in Opp and with yobuck swapping out for him he can really get anywhere you need him really quickly. Its a great Technique to swap Plo in and if they Try to move away putting 30-40 Damage on them with a AoO.

Post subject: Re: PloBuck
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I played against David with this the other day on Vassal, and Plo was a very good companion to Yoda. In particular, I was using Ganner, Mara and Kyle, so his ability to provide extra damage without worrying about disruptive was very helpful. I think in the current meta, you will have to consider the NR disruptive tossing squads, so anything that can be useful on it's own for a good cost is a useful mini.

Plo is an excellent mini and opportunist on melee figures has been an underutilized concept by WotC, and hence, often ignored by players. It's quite an advantage actually, as AoO's get nasty, just like figures with twin. Plo also has good defense and hps for a secondary beat, and at his cost, you can ignore his CE or build around it, either way he's a good piece for the Republic swaps, especially with yodabuck.

Generally, the opponent will want to activate and do damage to yoda whenever possible because of swapping, and Plo with opp presents a nice counter to that strategy. I had to deal with tough choices in terms of damage yoda, but then set up Plo for opp with the NR. Yoda in particular is a nice combo with Plo, as he fairly quickly evens out the activation counts, so that activation control isn't very helpful in preventing his opp as many people think it would be. I think in terms of activation control, so many people get caught up in the pre-game and early round set up counts and forget how an actual game plays out. So what if round 2 Plo is still outactivated. You can still charge him in, base something key and hit it for 20. They want to take the AoO to get at yoda or whatever else? Go for it, that's 30 more coming. By the time the squads are engaged, yoda takes care of the garbage acts, so that opp becomes a legitimate threat.

Anyways, while Rex did little early in our matchup, as a finisher, he is solid, which is what he does primarily in this squad, especially against what I was running, and NR evade/levitate/disrupt squad. It's a good triple threat squad concept.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I really appreciate that Bill. I think Plo is one of the better minis from MOTF his stats are solid and double for 60 damage with opp is nice. He is overlooked because he is a commander with a Gimmicky Type CE so people look past him for pieces like the new vader or saesee tinn when really Plo is one of the more solid pieces.

Yobuck squads have become all about yoda's ability to do 30/60/90 damage with a ton of ce's on him with General Skywalker and Commander Ashoka. Playing those squads and then running into Disruptive really ruins yodas ability to do his thing and swap out. Having Yoda run around and be a pest is what he really does best i was able to keep bill and all of his NR jedi from advancing anywhere close to gambit with yoda/Plo and rex waited till he was needed but hung around as a threat.

In that game Plo also got a few crits and kyle missed 2 attacks i beileve.

That being said i really think this is a good team and regional worthy for me.

I will drop the noble for an extra ugg and a brute and push my starting squad to 10 acts with Lobot. Lobot is in there for Rebel Shanagigans that get pulled on me like quad-override lockouts and the like.

Any comments are appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:

Plo is an excellent mini and opportunist on melee figures has been an underutilized concept by WotC, and hence, often ignored by players. It's quite an advantage actually, as AoO's get nasty, just like figures with twin.

I don't know if its ignored. Thrawn + Vader SotJ is utilized a lot and ithorian/aqualish/St swarms where massive until strong disruptive controlled them.
Emperor Fel is an underutilised piece but thats cos he's difficult to work with, Low HP for cost and with MithThrawn his opportunist is redundant.
Wolf Shazen is a decent opportunist melee piece but the NR struggled to use him in the absence of movement Breakers. Ganner fixes that so he might seem some increased play.

Plo looks to be the best for cost out of wolf and Roan though with great stats and is in a faction with movement breaking out the ass.
Its a good build and there is really not much you can change (possibly take out lobot for other stuff like a couple of troopers. They would hamper other yobuck squads)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am 

Yeah, I also thought about changing Lobot or Rex for a couple of troopers. Probably Lobot. Maybe two Arfs and 2 Rodian Brutes for the replacement, but I think David likes the versatility of Lobot too much to drop him.

Now, a nice piece to use with this would be the Chiss Trooper as a reinforcement option. His own Opp and being a trooper would make him my go to reinforcement. Use him as the early swap in for Yoda, and watch your opponent try to figure out what to do with it :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Now that is a good idea bill chiss troopers were amazing in the MOTF sealed event i was in. I will def be using that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

fingersandteeth wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Plo is an excellent mini and opportunist on melee figures has been an underutilized concept by WotC, and hence, often ignored by players. It's quite an advantage actually, as AoO's get nasty, just like figures with twin.

I don't know if its ignored. Thrawn + Vader SotJ is utilized a lot and ithorian/aqualish/St swarms where massive until strong disruptive controlled them.
Emperor Fel is an underutilised piece but thats cos he's difficult to work with, Low HP for cost and with MithThrawn his opportunist is redundant.
Wolf Shazen is a decent opportunist melee piece but the NR struggled to use him in the absence of movement Breakers. Ganner fixes that so he might seem some increased play.

Plo looks to be the best for cost out of wolf and Roan though with great stats and is in a faction with movement breaking out the ass.
Its a good build and there is really not much you can change (possibly take out lobot for other stuff like a couple of troopers. They would hamper other yobuck squads)

Yeah, I've always liked Roan Fel and Wolf, but their respective costs make them hard to use. I like Fel's CE, but he needs more HPs or another Defensive ability (Parry, Evade, Deflect). I think IE Thrawn shows there was poor planning on Rob's part. If he knew IE Thrawn was going to grant Opportunist to Allies, then why bother giving Fel Opportunist? That would have helped lower his cost. Swapping and Opportunist certainly go well together (or any other movement breaker for that matter). I thought Rob planned about 2-3 sets ahead or so. Imperial Entanglements was the third set after Legacy. You would have thought there was some planning there.

As for Wolf, his Surprise Move can be solid for tying up the enemy's beat. They cannot move unless they want to give up a 30 damage Opportunist attack. People have always complained about him having Opportunist and Surprise Move, but I actually like the combo. Anybody can see Surprise Move and Cunning make an effective combo. That's obvious. Yet a good portion of players fail to understand the use of SM and Opp. I really would love to see a virtual Wolf Sazen with nearly the same stats, but a cheaper cost (around 30). Of course that's probably asking too much. I honestly think he could fill a niche in the NR with his Opportunist. He just needs to be more cost effective.

Back on topic with Plo, he is a great piece IMHO. You can build some fun Trooper builds around his CE (Clone Pilots, Chiss Troopers, Star Corps Trooper), but he does just fine by himself. One of my favorite rares from MotF.