logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

The faction might have had some use for some sort of spy piece...

Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator
Cost: 20

HP: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 10
Damage 10

Force Immunity
Melee Attack
Cunning Attack +20
Ooglith Masquer
Inconspicuous - This character may not be targeted by enemy characters unless he has already activated this round.

Post subject: Re: Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Without something like Crab Armor (which I agree doesn't make sense on this guy), I'm not sure it's worth 20 points. You can only do a max of 30 damage, though I do suppose Inconspicuous could be fairly powerful. I really like how you gave an incentive to activate him early in the round, which I think is cool.

The only other thing I would maybe add to him then would be something like maybe Thud/Razor Bug, or something like Blorash Jelly (Replaces Attacks: target enemy within 6 squares cannot move until the end of this round). Just to give some slightly different options so you don't always feel like you have to use them for Cunning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 am 
General
General

Might need to reword Inconspicuous so that it doesn't count as a legal target? Something like Diplomat.

As for that "extra something", it just feels like it needs a Villip ability? Something to make it sort of a spy-type piece?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 am 

Utinni!

Thanks for reminding me - forgot the Blorash Jelly :oops:

Jelly was the reason why I costed it as such, based on the effect as shown below...

---

Here's the suggested definition for the Jelly:

Blorash Jelly - Replaces attacks; one target enemy within 6 squares gains Emplacement until the end of the round.

---

Didn't want any of the stuck targets to move, OR be moved. So no Force Push/Repulse would affect the target, either.

Figured the Jelly wouldn't discriminate between allied/enemy movement.

@ Wedge772 - Decided to make him a sort of 'nearest enemy but not target-able' sort... And villip wording is still in the works, so... yeah :P

---

So as of now, the full stats would be like this:

Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator

Damage 10

Force Immunity
Melee Attack
Cunning Attack +20
Ooglith Masquer
Blorash Jelly - Replaces attacks; one target enemy within 6 squares gains Emplacement until the end of the round.
Inconspicuous - This character may not be targeted by enemy characters unless he has already activated this round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

But wouldn't gaining Emplacement allow me to move the piece where I wanted on my side of the board, as set by the Bacta Tank's precedent. (if Lobot CLO brings in a BT on a reserves roll I place it normally).

Simply letting it read the same as Zuckuss' Snare Rifle in wording would be sufficient, then at worst they can be swapped away.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ruhk wrote:
But wouldn't gaining Emplacement allow me to move the piece where I wanted on my side of the board, as set by the Bacta Tank's precedent. (if Lobot CLO brings in a BT on a reserves roll I place it normally).

Simply letting it read the same as Zuckuss' Snare Rifle in wording would be sufficient, then at worst they can be swapped away.

I don't see why it would do that. You "set up" the piece anywhere on your side of the board; after the came has started and the target has gotten stuck by the Jelly, you're WAY past the set up phase of the game. Gaining Emplacement shouldn't let you revert back to set up, so the only applicable part is that the target cannot move or be moved, which I think works nicely for this.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

hmm, but what about if my piece is on your side of the board?

Then by the ruling of emplacement, my figure would be in an illegal position, akin to trying to land in a pit, and then would I not be forced to reposition my character somewhere on my side of the board?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ruhk wrote:
hmm, but what about if my piece is on your side of the board?

Then by the ruling of emplacement, my figure would be in an illegal position, akin to trying to land in a pit, and then would I not be forced to reposition my character somewhere on my side of the board?

Ah, ok. I don't think that would be considered an "illegal" position, since there technically isn't anything in the definition of Emplacement that's says that a figure can't be on your opponents side; it just so happens that a combination of the Emplacement set up rules and the "cannot move or be moved" part make that traditionally impossible. It is spelled out that you cannot end movement in a pit. It isn't spelled out that a figure with emplacemnt can't be on the opponent's half of the board; it just happens to work out that way.

I think that the part of emplacement that requires the piece to be on your own side of the board only applies to set up. Any time after that it's technically legal to be on the other side, although traditionally impossible.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Well I guess what I'm getting it is the granting Emplacement appears to be a little complex to me, requiring this discussion to take place! :)

To me, if my piece got Emplace-d, and I was on the other side of the map.. I would feel I needed to move it to my side. Just like if my piece got Force Push-ed into a pit and made the save, I would feel that I needed to place him in the nearest adjacent square. :)

Maybe if it read as : Target character cannot move or change positions until the end of the round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Haha, after I wrote that last post I thought the same thing. If it were worded better, there would be no confusion at all. Just take the "cannont move or be moved" part of Emplacement and make that the definition of the Jelly, removing the set up part. There should be no confusion at all with that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:07 am 

LOL here's an edited version of the Vong Infiltrator :)

I worded the Jelly as forcing Emplacement onto a target due to my assumption that since set-up was done with, ignoring the side restriction for Emplacement would be the most logical thing to do.

But here's the cleared up version :D

Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator

Damage 10

Force Immunity
Melee Attack
Cunning Attack +20
Ooglith Masquer
Blorash Jelly - Replaces attacks; one target enemy within 6 squares may not move or be moved until the end of the round.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I like it a lot, I probably would have given it stealth as well to help it get into position for it's strike and it would allow it to work with Nom as he sent many spies out to cause a ruckuss

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:24 pm 

dalsiandon wrote:
I like it a lot, I probably would have given it stealth as well to help it get into position for it's strike and it would allow it to work with Nom as he sent many spies out to cause a ruckuss

True... Considered Stealth, but decided against it - didn't want another Nom Bomb piece :)

Gave it Inconspicuous instead, to try and make it more of a 'to activate or not' question :D

As for the swarming effect... Two of these might actually make a nasty combo if Inconspicuous and Cunning +20 are used right.