22 Grievous, Kaleesh Warlord
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
15 Raxus Prime Trooper x3
6 Rodian Brute x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 14 activations)

This is the best i can come up with for grievous for now. Triple opportunist for a possible 90 dmg as a tertiary attacker. The raxus gain spotter for +10 dmg should you need it (or can manage to get the right position). Vader is a big meta equaliser with riposte rage and Djem so. Add in opportunist and he can do 120 to any figure in the game. Hondo is a variable choice, both Rex 501st or zuckuss would work here. I prefer the possible 100 (120 with spotters) accurate cunning to compliment thrawns opportunist. Tarkin gives you some at home defence for your commanders and grievous's impulsive shot might work well against deep strikes going for your commander core.

i think this could work suprisingly well.

Last edited by fingersandteeth on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: WAP Warlord, Apprentice and Pirate
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:15 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Yep not bad. It's about all I could come up with for Grevious as well (using Tarkin). Can you fit in Nym instead of Hondo?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: WAP; Warlord, Apprentice and Pirate
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:26 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Its hard to switch up Hondo for Nym.

14 activations seems comfortable to me, i don't really want to go much lower but i suppose the disruptive security might let you do that. The 13 point swing is quite a lot to make up.

I think if you switch Hondo for Nym then you kind of have to rethink the basis of the squad. Perhaps Anakin, SA instead which gives you 7 points and then change the raxus for brutes. Thats losing quite a lot. Or you could drop all the raxus to brutes and drop 3 giving you 15 points and change a single brute to a raxus or something.

I don't think this really needs disruptive. Vader is gonna be off on his own and the guns are going to be swapping about. Grievous with opportunist impulsive might net you some good hits as Tarkin or Mas get creamed by Yobuck or the lancer so there is a certain amount of commander security so long as you make a good bunker.

A further point is that Nym doesn't get you that much more power. Hondo's big hit is early, does 100 at +14s. Nym maxes at 120 for +14s and the grievous spotters (which you lose for nym) can make Hondo as effective. So it just depends on how nessicary the disruptive will be. I think it will probably be more benficial for aggressive use than defensive (i.e. swap in to nerf evade etc).

Rex 501st is a decent alternative to Hondo. Gets you 120 dmg range with greater mobile. something to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I'd suggest the switch to 501st Rex.

He'll always have triple.. and always be +17/40, barring disruptive. And while Hondo benefits from Imp Gov Trakin and Thrawn, Rex also benefits from Anakin. Gets a little more use of your points (since you are paying for the CE).

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

so vaders CE is for allies?

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ruhk wrote:
I'd suggest the switch to 501st Rex. EDIT: doh, beat to it. :P

He'll always have triple.. and always be +17/40, barring disruptive. And while Hondo benefits from Imp Gov Trakin and Thrawn, Rex also benefits from Anakin. Gets a little more use of your points (since you are paying for the CE).

New Vaders cunning is only for non-unique 501st guys though so rex wont get it :(

I personally like Hondo here its really the only place ive found to put him in and him work. Swapping him around to pick off targets while your opponent is focused on vader can be really good as well. I accually like this grevious Opp triple at +13 isnt to shabby for 22 (i think thats his cost). I can see this doing well accually.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Vader's CE only applies to non-Unique 501sts, I think. Unfortunately.

But I would also probably go with Rex for a full competitive aspect. Triple for 90 minimum all the time will get you a lot more than Hondo will offer, IMO. Plus, you can get 90 per round with Rex and still keep him hidden, whereas Hondo has to be left exposed to do that (or swapped, leaving someone else exposed). You'll already be taking the chance of exposing Grievous anytime you use him, so you'll be utilizing your swap to get him in and out of trouble mostly anyways. So I think having your other shooter be able to protect himself will be much more useful.

Nice job with this Deri. Could definitely surprise some people with a build like this one. I may have to try it out at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

you guys don't value accurate much anymore?

Hondo is mainly a tech killer. R2 still gives the republic great advantages and Hondo is there to snipe him. He'll always be at +14 in this build and will always do +30 at least. Your big hit is Vader and should do most of the killing.

I like Rex and his place in this is a great addiditon (he was actually my 1st choice but bloomilk doesn't let you add him) but there are certain things that Hondo brings that is very difficult to get in a thrawn build, namely accurate power.

He can one shot kill Reeiken. I kind of think Hondo is a bit overlooked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Those are certainly excellent reasons to use Hondo instead. It would just seem to me that you might be better off with Rex overall, against a multitude of opponents. Hondo's Accurate certainly does give him an edge, and to be honest, I had sort of forgot about it when making my other comment. I like your point about being able to wipe out R2 or Rieekan with a single shot. Most people don't think about you being able to take out a 50 HP piece in one hit.

I'll give it some more thought.

Have you thought about trying to squeeze in a Weequay Pirate as well if you're running Hondo? They're a +12 for 20 all the time with Accurate as well. A good deal more powerful than the Raxus Primes. Not sure if one Pirate is worth two Raxus, but could be, if you value Accurate that much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Have you thought about trying to squeeze in a Weequay Pirate as well if you're running Hondo? They're a +12 for 20 all the time with Accurate as well. A good deal more powerful than the Raxus Primes. Not sure if one Pirate is worth two Raxus, but could be, if you value Accurate that much.

Accurate is nice but i'm not sure i want to reduce activation numbers for an incredibly fragile accurate shooter when you already have one.

The reason i like Hondo is because he's your Smuggler cannon in this squad, except he's cunning so you get the drop on other opportunist squads giving Thrawn something to utilise start of round. He brings in your accurate so you don't really need to bring in others. youcan have toom uch of a good thing particulally if you have to reduce swap numbers in order to get it.

A point to note about this squad. the commander effects are pretty crap. IMO they are there to allow the imperials to utilize their otherwise disadvantageous CE to give them a benefit (extra attack). I see their CEs as worthless and have no qualms about using them without the CE as i feel the extra attack makes up for their lack of CE use.

Rex brings in flight, greater mobile and nice dmg output so i havn't dismissed him (he is actually 80 HP as opposed to 70 also). I'm just wondering whether i need accurate in these builds or not.