logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Imperial Cryptographer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Was just toying with the idea of giving the Imperials a piece that counters Disruptive, so this was the product :P

Imperial Cryptographer
Cost: 13

HP: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Encryption - Supresses enemy Disruptive within 6 squares.
Decryption - Allies within six squares may benefit from enemy commander effects that are applicable to them.

"They'll never crack this code."

Post subject: Re: Imperial Cryptographer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

i like it, i just think the cost should be higher if your going to let him have all the CE's in play, just run him with a Mas Amedda and eveyones got your CE's and theirs.

<(^^)> (>^^)> <(^^<) ^(^^)^
dance, kirby, dance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, Decryption is pretty strong. I think the way you worded it is OK though. Could cause some serious headaches though. I think the way you have it worded right now would mean that CEs like Dodonna or San wouldn't transfer to the Imperial Team. But how do you deal with CEs like Princess Leia's, or the Bothan Noble? Even if you change the limitation from 6 squares to something else, you'd still be able to boost it with Mouse Droids instead of Mas.

I think a better way to do it might be to make Decryption work like this: "At the start of the skirmish, choose one enemy Commander Effect. This character gains that Commander Effect until the end of the skirmish."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Quote:
"At the start of the skirmish, choose one enemy Commander Effect. This character gains that Commander Effect until the end of the skirmish."

i like this one better, you can only pick one to have so its much harder to have a totally "broken" team.

<(^^)> (>^^)> <(^^<) ^(^^)^
dance, kirby, dance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Unless I am seeing a reedited version I am not sure how decryption allows for mouse droids or Mas. As worded, it would not allow for San, Tarkin type CE's. Also a "rules insert" would be needed so that it is explicitly stated that the CE is read from the perspective of the Imperial player. Otherwise, CE's that state allies could be interpreted to not work even though this defies the intent.

The Bothan Noble interaction would be interesting (since this is an Imperial piece Princess Leia is moot). I would assume both players would get an immediate attack from the character of their choice. Lol, what could be really interesting is the Death Strike Ce's. One attack could trigger a back and forth interaction that wipes out both players squads!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:32 am 

Thanks for the feedback :)

I did consider tempo-control CE's, so I added the 'if applicable' part at the end of Decryption - A&E Leia's CE isn't applicable to Imps, so it's moot :P Likewise with follower/ally, Order 66, Mandalorian, Droid CE's, etc... Cryptographer's allies within 6 only benefit from CE's that are applicable.

Yup, deliberately made it possible to Boom/Relay CE's from the Cryptographer. Was pondering if his cost should be higher, and looks like feedback agrees :) Any 6-square CE's being Decrypted may be extended via Mas/Mice, that was the idea here.

I'm sort of in a mixed mind about letting only one CE pass through to the Imps... Might be more fun to just re-cost the Cryptographer and use multiple CE's through him :D

Or possibly, to deal with tempo-regulating CE's: "Allies within 6 squares may benefit from enemy CE's that are applicable to them, and which have a range restriction."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

According to the way it is currently worded. Mas or Mice would NOT extend the CE.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:13 am 

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
According to the way it is currently worded. Mas or Mice would NOT extend the CE.

Ah, nice one.

Missed the fact that Mas/Mice extend CE's from a commander - not a follower that is 'broadcasting' the CE's.

---

Anyways, here is an edited version of the Cryptographer:

Imperial Cryptographer
Cost: 13

HP: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Encryption - Supresses enemy Disruptive within 6 squares.
Decryption - When this character activates, select one enemy Commander Effect with a range restriction. Allies within six squares may benefit from the Commander Effect if applicable. The chosen Effect lasts until another enemy Commander Effect is selected, or if this character is defeated.

"They'll never crack this code."

Made Decryption limited to one enemy CE, and also made it usable only when the Cryptographer himself activates. However, he does have the option of switching CE's whenever he might need to, to make things slightly more interesting.

Should help to balance out the possibly unbalancing effect of having a CE 'stolen' from your squad.