logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Twin trouble
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have been playing around with some different Whorm builds. I will post them separately as i finish them, so let me know what you think. Two things to keep in mind, though. I have not played a tournament in ages, so im not sure what the meta is. I also do not have any mouse droids, so that is why they are not listed.

Tyranus LotDS 49
Whorm 20
human BG 11
Lando DS 18
Bossk, TH 29
Quarren assassin 13
R7 8
T-1 lifter 21
Togorian 12
Rodian trader 10
Ugs x3 9
200pts 13 activations

I just love the idea of Tyranus with twin. Win init you lightning. If you lose then you attack all out. The rest is shooting support so tyranus can wait as long as possible to engage. Without mouse droids it will take careful positioning to maximize the effects, but twin on the assassin, bossk, or lando cant be too shabby. I threw the togorian in just to use them. i love them and havent used one yet. The lifter is two fold. One is to give bossk a pseudo mobile. The other is to get tyranus out of a mess if neeed be. I originally used an ASP, but for the cost and HP, as well as the fact he can get the twin as well, made me switch to the T1. The trader was kinda the same as the togorian. I havent used one yet and love the idea of giving my ugs heal for everyone else.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject: Re: Twin trouble
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

wow, no thoughts at all? Id forgotten how helpful these boards are. :/

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:16 am 
Guardian of the Old Republic
Guardian of the Old Republic

Sithdragon13 wrote:
wow, no thoughts at all? Id forgotten how helpful these boards are. :/

Absolutely no reason to slam the boards becaue no one commented on your below average squad.

Honestly the squad isn't very good. Attempting to play whorm with no mice is akin to suicide, and you have a lot of low stat and exremely situational pieces like the togorian.

Guilting people into commenting is never an appropriate thing to do.

If you have that attitude keep it to yourself, no one owes you a response.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Honestly, most people aren't going to post on it, because there's a myriad of Whorm squads out there already, and IMO, fairly obvious things you could do to improve this squad.

What seems to be the favored builds for Whorm/Tyranus is to run probably Zuckuss, and then either something like Boba Merc or IG-86's. I really like Boba Merc with Whorm for the Double/Twin/Cunning.

The Quarren Assassin and Lando DS are certainly good options as well, but their attacks, even with the Cunning/Opportunist boosts, are so low that you'll have a rough time hitting Jedi in cover, or GOWK boosted JWMs, or things like that.

And I 100% agree with Joel, that Mice are an absolute necessity for Whorm squads. You need to be able to spread your squad out. You'll only get 1 set of Twin Attacks out of Tyranus before Whorm dies with this build, because as soon as you get that close to the enemy with Tyranus, they will find a way to get to Whorm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Honestly, most people aren't going to post on it, because there's a myriad of Whorm squads out there already, and IMO, fairly obvious things you could do to improve this squad.

What seems to be the favored builds for Whorm/Tyranus is to run probably Zuckuss, and then either something like Boba Merc or IG-86's. I really like Boba Merc with Whorm for the Double/Twin/Cunning.

The Quarren Assassin and Lando DS are certainly good options as well, but their attacks, even with the Cunning/Opportunist boosts, are so low that you'll have a rough time hitting Jedi in cover, or GOWK boosted JWMs, or things like that.

And I 100% agree with Joel, that Mice are an absolute necessity for Whorm squads. You need to be able to spread your squad out. You'll only get 1 set of Twin Attacks out of Tyranus before Whorm dies with this build, because as soon as you get that close to the enemy with Tyranus, they will find a way to get to Whorm.

THANK YOU! This is what i was looking for. I didnt have Zuckuss, but have since ordered him, so that is a possibility now. I know the mice would help, but my plan to try and play around them is to run tyranus up and not bring whorm in on him until after his lightning. As i said my biggest problem is that about all i play against is disruptive NR squads, so it hinders what i can test. People that know me know i like Jedi, but against disruptive, your CEs are toast. Maybe i will scrap whorm then, but otherwise all i have for now is Kota, and i dont know how he would fair competitively.

I do have a Tyranus/Merc squad, but that one is pretty straight forward. I also have one with Merc, Lando, Bossk and Jarael, but im not sure i like the lack of a front stopper like tyranus.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, Jarael is your front stopper in a squad like that. You just only use her as a last line of defense sort of thing.

NR Disruptive is certainly one of the toughest challenges, especially if they're running Dodonna as well. About the only way you can come out on top with that is to just pummel people at a distance as much as possible, and then use Tyranus for interference if Kyle finally comes close. Most of the time, I've found that the Whorm vs. NR match up is just a game of attrition and often goes to time, unfortunately. Same goes for fighting against Rebel to some degree, if they're running Rieekan and Disruptive. At least with the Rebels, it's easier to take down the Disruptive pieces, as Tyranus can kill any of them except R2PO with a single Lightning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I like to run a couple of different combos at 200 with Whorm.

1 is similar to what has been suggested, a Tyranus, Boba Merc, mix. I won't go further with it here as you already know it.

2nd - I really enjoy running a mix of smaller threats. Zuckuss, Jarael, and a TBSV to back up Tryranus in Boba's place. The reasons are simple. Zuckuss is a royal pain with twin, and I'm glad you ordered one. I also have played a squad where I dropped Tyranus for Boba and went with 2 IGs as back up to them both. It works pretty well also.

3rd - Durge (Commander from CS). Try it. It's better than people think. Just fill in with whatever fun cheap pieces you want. I use a mix of things to give me extra options. I can tell you this, jedi don't like it when an 11pt Human Scoundrel momentums into you with twin and opp 20 :) - especially when I have two of them. Things like Mastiffs are cool, and some of the new Dejarik pieces will be cool as well with their low cost and high hps.

Now for competitive play, disruptive isn't the concern it seems to be in your testing. Disruptive is played in 200, but it is far from dominant, and far from being highly represented. I'd say a top level tournament might see 20% squads with it max. And even then, it's more of a battle of attrition than a real problem for you. With Tyranus up front (who is absolutely fine without twin) you can keep your shooters hitting with twin out of range. Sure, Kyle will take a while to finish, but you still have reposte and lightning, and trading Tyranus for Kyle is a win in your favor honestly.

One thing that I often do in those cases, is tie of Kyle with Jarael instead of Tyranus. Triple and activating (usually have Zuckuss as well) is more than enough to keep Kyle at bay. Then once he's activated, Tyranus runs right by, and goes after whatever else the NR squad has, Wedge, Han, etc. With Zuckuss and Jarael, it's really not that hard to work around NR disruptive any longer, as you can keep it in place about 50% of the time, if not more.

Also, MTB option for San Hill is still worth it with Tyranus and Whorm (even more so with Boba Merc in there as well). I always keep it in my bag just in case I want it. The best part is, your opponent's will never expect it, and are often unprepared for it. Winning init every round for the first 3-4 is more than enough for Zuckuss to keep Kyle right where you want him, out of harm's way, and let Tyranus wreck the rest of the squad. Hope that's helpful Scott. Whenever Bloomilk get's back up and working, be sure to check out my squads. I have probably 10-12 Whorm squads worth looking at to see what I am talking about. He's one of my favorite figures and the squads are generally very competitive with the top tier in 200.

Edit - just read the commentary above again. Missed the bashing the forums comment first read through. Come on Scott, no need to bag on the forums. You could post this on WotC and get your feedback instead. That only takes about 2 weeks to get one comment at the current moment. :) Honestly, it was about a day, and I didn't see your post. Life's been busy for me as of late, so I don't read everything like I used ta. Anyways, hope that was helpful, look forward to seeing your updated squad here as you look through the options given.

Also, forgot to mention, Dengar Hired Killer is awesome with Whorm. Twin synergizes so well with Final shot, it's not funny. Make sure you try that out sometime as well.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:37 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I'm not sold on the Togrian, mainly because he has such low HP and for Bravado to work you need to be adjacent. For 12 points in a Whorm squad I'd much rather use a Duros/Human Scoundrel so you can stay safely towards the back and get off the same amount of damage.

But as other stated, it is a necessity to use Mice in the squad. Since the Quarren Assassin is 12 points and not 13 (Quarren Raider is 13), I would think of removing the Rodian Trader for 2 Mousies and a Noble. Or if you meant to use the Raider instead of the Assassin and really want to use the Rodian Trader, at least switch 2 Ugs for Mice. The Mice are actually better combo with the Rodian Trader than the Ugs are (high def and a reason to actually keep them close).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:56 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Thanks for the info. It will help. Disruptive i know isnt played that much in tourneys, but my big problem is that is about all my friend plays so its hard to test play squads. Some squads i know would be fine against everything else but lose big time to disruptive.

@Jedi Spyder - Yes i meant the assassin at 12. The togorian was whimsy. Ill look at the smuggler. Also note that i do not have any mouse droids. Otherwise i would most definitely use them! :) the rodian trader was also whimsy to give my ugs something else to do.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm 

You...you...don't own any Mice? Jeez, I've never been that unlucky in pulling minis, lol. I wish you the best in finding some for a good price, hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle.

Even if you go up against Disruptive in the form of Kyle then you use Tyranus' lovely Force Pool against him and keep him tangled up so all your non-melee pieces can still get Whorm's CE away. It'd be a simple case of "guess I won't be moving Whorm up towards Tyranus just yet, lol"