logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Fighting 501st!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Here's my first shot at making something with the new Vader. I love the synergy between Vader/Trawn/Tarkin/Rex. Rex Tripling for 120 damage is nasty. Even the non-unique commanders are nice in this build. But is it a competitive squad? Should I take out the 2 Grans for an R7? Are the Clone Commanders worth it? They can double/twin for +14/20 each time with 2 squares of movement afterward, I think they're nice, thoughts?

46 Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
41 Captain Rex, 501st Commander
32 (Mith)Thrawn
28 501st Legion Clone Commander x2
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
8 Gran Raider x2
15 Rodian Brute x5

WWJD

Post subject: Re: Fighting 501st!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The Clone Commanders can only get the 2 extra squares of movement as long as they move at least 1 square during the rest of their turn. So, they can't use Double/Twin and then move 2. The best you could do is move out of hiding, shoot with Twin, then move 2 back into hiding. Not too bad though.

You definitely need some sort of door control. So, whether that means subbing out the Grans for an R7 or dropping 2-3 of the brutes for some Ugos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:13 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

This is almost identical to the squad I made for Vader right after he got spoiled, just different fodder choices. You have the 501st Commanders as 14 points, though; according to Bloo Milk, they're 15 points. I threw in 3 Brutes and 4 Ugnaughts in my version. Dropping 3 of the Ugnaughts (or 2 Ugnaughts and a Brute) for an R7 might be the way to go, though.

I really like the Clone Commanders in this squad. Use Rex's CE for a pseudo-Mobile with their Twin Attack, or swap them in for the Double/Twin. Or just get Vader up in your opponent's face and leave your Commanders out; if your opponent is attacking the Commanders, they aren't attacking Vader. This is definitely a squad I'll be trying out soon after the release.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Echo wrote:
This is almost identical to the squad I made for Vader right after he got spoiled, just different fodder choices. You have the 501st Commanders as 14 points, though; according to Bloo Milk, they're 15 points. I threw in 3 Brutes and 4 Ugnaughts in my version. Dropping 3 of the Ugnaughts (or 2 Ugnaughts and a Brute) for an R7 might be the way to go, though.

I really like the Clone Commanders in this squad. Use Rex's CE for a pseudo-Mobile with their Twin Attack, or swap them in for the Double/Twin. Or just get Vader up in your opponent's face and leave your Commanders out; if your opponent is attacking the Commanders, they aren't attacking Vader. This is definitely a squad I'll be trying out soon after the release.

Yeah, good catch, not sure how I got them to 14pts :) OK, here's a revised version

46 Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
41 Captain Rex, 501st Commander
32 Thrawn
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
15 501st Legion Clone Commander
15 501st Legion Clone Commander
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7
6 Rodian Brute x2
4 Gran Raider
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

is 12 acts enough?

WWJD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Since you've got both Cunning and Opportunist options in your squad, yeah, I'd say 12 activations is decent.