logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Meta Game Shift Post MOTF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:22 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

So it is coming up on Regionals and the last set will be out in a couple of weeks.

So since previews are coming up now and folks are getting a look. What do you think the Meta will shift to?

How much will this set effect it?

I see some of the new pieces will be what I call plug and play. Sassee and Plo are those types. But we also see with the new Vader there will be some exciting changes bringing Rex 501st commander into the Imps.

So what are your thoughts?

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: The Meta Game Shift Post MOTF
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think it's still a bit too early at the moment to say anything definitive, but with the few stats we have I see a few changes. I like Vader, Rex, Thrawn, and IG Tarkin; not sure how it does in practice, but on paper it doesn't seem bad at all. Might see that or something like it at Regionals. I don't really see Plo or Saesee shaking things up too much. Don't get me wrong, they're both solid pieces, but I don't think they fit into the current top-tier Republic builds, and they don't make anything better than that. I could definitely be wrong about that; and we still have a few Republic Jedi to see that might change that. I think that the Blood Carver Assassin and the Ng'ok will give Rebel squads with the Ithorian Commander a nice boost; a Ng'ok or two could potentially shut down Yobuck squads.

I don't think anything else we've seen so far will shake up the top tier. But, we still have a LOT of the set to see, especially in the way of uniques, so there's still a chance that this set could change a lot.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

There are some key pieces that we still need to see, but so far i dont see much changing other than some new fun squads popping up. I havent seen any must run pieces yet. The closest to that i would say would be Plo and his troopers. The 501st squads will show up, but i dont know how more competitive they will be that what has already been tried.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Way too early, and we haven't seen anything too earth shattering. Vader and Yoda are the closest. I definately can see working Yoda onto some of my NR squads.

Some interesting additions that will see play, but again, nothing earth shattering. Houjix and Ng'ok are definately the main playable dejariks so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Sithborg wrote:
Way too early, and we haven't seen anything too earth shattering. Vader and Yoda are the closest. I definately can see working Yoda onto some of my NR squads.

Some interesting additions that will see play, but again, nothing earth shattering. Houjix and Ng'ok are definately the main playable dejariks so far.

The Kintan Strider could be a good option for Exar squads. I know it's a narrow role, but it is one nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:03 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Jedi Healers are bringing doom and destruction to all of your squads! Nothing can stop them!
Hey, wait, what are these guys in white doing with that straightjacket??? No, not me, please!!!
(static sound from Ray's house)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Guardian of the Old Republic
Guardian of the Old Republic

Yoda FS with a god squad remake will be interesting.

Kyle BM + Mara with him will be interesting.

Meta could be really interesting with the Jedi Instructor. All the Republic Jedi with Mobile (as I listed in the preview thread) and the OR with Malak, Exile, and Battlemasters with Mobile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

joelker41 wrote:

Meta could be really interesting with the Jedi Instructor. All the Republic Jedi with Mobile (as I listed in the preview thread) and the OR with Malak, Exile, and Battlemasters with Mobile.

I like Jax and Dass with Mobile. Sure, they could gain that in the Rebel faction, but now they can do so in the Republic faction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I think it is still too early to tell. But as mentioned Yoda will allow for some minor tweaks to some NR squads, but again it seems mostly plug and play.

ANd it will be nice to have someone other than Palps bringing in the clones to the IMP's. Is it confirmed that it is only 501st clones or is it any O66?

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

dalsiandon wrote:
ANd it will be nice to have someone other than Palps bringing in the clones to the IMP's. Is it confirmed that it is only 501st clones or is it any O66?

Dean got 3 boosters and they read the cards verbatim during the SHNN. So it is just 501st clones only, and too bad he didn't have Execute Order 66 because that'd be awesome to be able to survive against Rex completely intact.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:10 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

jedispyder wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:

Dean got 3 boosters and they read the cards verbatim during the SHNN. So it is just 501st clones only, and too bad he didn't have Execute Order 66 because that'd be awesome to be able to survive against Rex completely intact.

Not really. Think about it. By him having O66, then it would completely defeat the arch type of the squad you are going to run him with. He would break his own squad.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:25 am 

Sithdragon13 wrote:
Not really. Think about it. By him having O66, then it would completely defeat the arch type of the squad you are going to run him with. He would break his own squad.

I don't see how it would break the "arch type of the squad" because it in facts goes along with it. You might be confused, "Execute Order 66" means "Cannot be targeted by characters with Order 66." So Vader would have his 501st with him and if he goes up against any other Clone Troopers then they couldn't attack him. Which would make sense, none of the clones tried to attack him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:47 am 
General
General

joelker41 wrote:

It might even be fun to play around with Mara Jade Skywalker in there, instead of Mara Jedi. Mara already has FR1 and Mettle, so was never a candidate for haunting. However, now with access to a Force Battery, you can make more use of Force Push 2, plus more often use Evade/Mettle.

Shado Vao and Kol Skywalker also benefit with their MotF2, by being able to spend more FPs. And then there are pieces like Kyp, Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo and Cade who can pull of their Force Powers more often. Jacen Solo being able to Unleash the Force on back-to-back rounds could be pretty scary!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:55 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Sithdragon13 wrote:
jedispyder wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:

Huh? How does he break his own squad? I don't get it? It seems to me that he would have access to a wider variety of clone units. However he does have the cheapest clone fodder figures available to him, again it is a very limited group of charcters that it works wiht. The new Rex, and two non-unique clone units, one is 14 points the other is 8. Maybe it is a good thing, this way you can still run old ROTS palpatine, it doesn't completly remove his value from play.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I really like the prospect of using him with Kyp. Haunt Kyle, and use the CE to grant Kyp a key FP5 before going savage. Zuckuss in the NR will be another very excellent target.

With the Rebels, I will use him with Force Push. You can haunt whomever, but the CE for extra pushes/evades will be wonderful for 200pt push squads. Granted it's only renewal one, but that equates to giving force pushers a 33% increase in force pushes per game. And considering you most often back them up with shooters and melee, that in the Rebel faction can easily be force users, there are a great number of combos out there.

Oh and Vader is absolutely awesome for his cost. And for those who care more about the theme aspect, he seems to be one of the most perfect renditions of a main unique done to date - and absolutely competitive to boot. Right off the bat, I want to try out a Vader, Tarkin, Opp Thrawn, 501st commanders, Rex squad. No 501st shooters, just the commanders :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I do really like Vader.

I think a solid squad with that one:

Thrawn
Mas
DV, SA
Rex 501st Comm
501st Clone Comm x2
Imp Gov Tarkin
R7
Rodian x2
Gran
Uggy
200 points, and 12 activations.

So far the others have only been so-so. Yoda is an interesting piece, but feels a tad expensive for what he does. The Jedi Combat Instructor will certainly see some play in both factions.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, I really like Vader. And really, without CW Rex, Rex 501st really looks interesting. Especially with Extra and Opportunist.
Another thing to think about the dejariks. Lots of HP for Pawn of the Darkside.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Sithborg wrote:
Another thing to think about the dejariks. Lots of HP for Pawn of the Darkside.

I didn't even think about that possibility. Hmmm, might be something to look into on a Sith or Sep squad.