logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Egypt Wars 2010, April 9,10,11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:43 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Egypt Wars is kicking off this year in early April, with at least 3 SWM tournies being run. Last year we had 17 players for the larger tournaments. I want bigger turn outs than that this year guys and girls.

So far teh events schedule looks like this:

Saturday, April 10, 9am(time?): Dynamic Duo
Saturday, April 10, 2pm (time?): 150pt tournament
Saturday, April 10, 7pm (time?): 100pt 2v2 team tournament

Team tournament:Im still trying to come up with the special rules for this thing. Ive been told there are rules in the book for a 2v2 match. if someone knows specifically where, please let me know, as so far, I cant find it lol.

DCI rules will apply for all the tournaments, all three of which, I will be running.

I havent yet talked to Jim or Scott from Castle Perilous about prize support, but Im sure we will get something good for the day.

Also, we will potentially have a 200pt tournament Sunday, April 11, at 2pm, if I get enough people to give me a "yes, I will come", instead of "I'll try". im more than happy to run it, but I dont wanna waste my time getting over there for no one to show.

If that 4th tourney happens, I will, as a bonus prize, pay the door entry fee for that day,back to the winner of the tournament( likely about $8-10). Not alot, I know, but its better than not getting it back lol.

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong area, but I didnt know where to post it.

Questions/ comments/ concerns/ "Yes, I'll come to a Sunday tourney" can all be posted here, or for a speedier response, emailed to sethgipson@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dis1/Seth

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

Post subject: Re: Egypy Wars 2010, April 9,10,11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Excellent - as it stands at this early stage, I'll be there for everything but the DD, and I'm gonna work on getting free for that one too... :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 pm 
Flim
Flim

Where is Egypt wars?

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:46 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

jew3 wrote:
Where is Egypt wars?

Carbondale,IL. Dennis and I have went the last three years. Good times.

Last edited by Dark_Jedi_21 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 pm 
Flim
Flim

6 hour trip, that might not happen. But we will see.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Wow, sorry bout forgetting the locale, lol.

As has already been said, Egypt Wars is in Carbondale Il (62918 I think is the zip if anyone needs it), and as far as I know, I think it will be held at the Civic Center again this year (same place as last year).

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Carbondale Civic Center
200 South Illinois Avenue
Carbondale, IL 62901

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Bump to get this back on the radar :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Here are my first draft for the special rules for the 2v2 team tournament.

1) All four players bring a map. All four roll for map choice, and the winning person decides which of the four maps the game will be played on. Opposing team dtermines which of their players will start in which corner of the map. The other team chooses a corner, then the first, leaving the map winning team with a player getting stuck with the last.

2) Initiative is rolled by all four players. The winning team decides which player on their team goes first for the turn. The second team chooses who of their team will go first, then player 2 from team 1, and player 2 from team 2. The initiative winner may still defer to the other team, if desired.

3) CE's saying "Followers" only counts to figures in that players squad. "Allies" counts for both that players and his/her teammates squad.

4) First team to 200pts wins the game. Regular gambit rules apply, but gambit may only be scored by one player from each team per turn.

5) Any sort of movement breaker (ie, towing, swapping, levitation, etc) only works for other figures in that players squad. No moving your teammates pieces.

Rounds would probably be made a little longer to cover for more people being involved.

LMK what you think. Suggestions? See anything that needs covering?

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Rule for Unique characters on the same team? (guessing not allowed)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:19 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Yes, sorry.

A unique character may not be used by more than one player on a team. So if your using Vader, he cant use Anakin, etc.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

KA-BUMP!
Woohoo! MOTF will be out just in time for this! :fight:

now, let's just hope it is good :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Got my packet in the mail a few days ago. $25 for the whole weekend!! $13 just for Saturday!! DAMN!!

I know it doesn't sound like a lot of money but that is double the price from past years. If I thought they were going to double the turn-out and support for the entire convention, I would be fine with it. SWM aside, the con has been a bit of a disaster four years running (and I have attended out of loyalty every year since 1996).

I'll probably come again this year but I'm disappointed in the huge price increase. Based on experience with SIU's SGS and Scott in particular, I'm not anticipating anything spectacular as a result of the 100% fee hike.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:37 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

That really is a shame on the price increase. Imagine if Gencon did that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Got my packet in the mail a few days ago. $25 for the whole weekend!! $13 just for Saturday!! DAMN!!

I know it doesn't sound like a lot of money but that is double the price from past years. If I thought they were going to double the turn-out and support for the entire convention, I would be fine with it. SWM aside, the con has been a bit of a disaster four years running (and I have attended out of loyalty every year since 1996).

I'll probably come again this year but I'm disappointed in the huge price increase. Based on experience with SIU's SGS and Scott in particular, I'm not anticipating anything spectacular as a result of the 100% fee hike.

Yeah, the price increase is significant. I'm a bit disappointed with that.

I'm just speculating, but I would imagine it is due (at least in part) to the change of venue. I don't know how much space they have reserved at the Civic Center, but I have to assume that having part/all of the available space tied up for the entire weekend is costly. The SIU SGS probably got a deal on using the Student Center (in past years). Not sure if the City of Carbondale would give too much of a break on their space. My wife and I rent one section of the Civic Center ballroom that has the stage/piano for our music students' recitals. I think it costs us somewhere around $25/hour, and that is for probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the space at most. We also couldn't rent space on Saturdays without renting the entire ballroom for the day.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware (at this point) there is no additional fee for the SWM events, so IF that is indeed the case the $13 for Saturday gets you into 3 SWM events, which is not bad considering $5 seems to be the standard for typical weekly tournaments.

I don't know what the story is with prize support, but if yesterday's AppleCon charity event is any indication, Jim will throw some decent prize support in on top of anything Scott provides. (yesterday was... WOW awesome - thanks Jim!)

Perhaps Seth will have more details soon. I didn't think to discuss it with him yesterday.

PS - Isn't there an entry fee for pretty much every event at Gencon, on top of the "door fee"?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

swinefeld wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Yeah, the price increase is significant. I'm a bit disappointed with that.

I'm just speculating, but I would imagine it is due (at least in part) to the change of venue. I don't know how much space they have reserved at the Civic Center, but I have to assume that having part/all of the available space tied up for the entire weekend is costly. The SIU SGS probably got a deal on using the Student Center (in past years). Not sure if the City of Carbondale would give too much of a break on their space. My wife and I rent one section of the Civic Center ballroom that has the stage/piano for our music students' recitals. I think it costs us somewhere around $25/hour, and that is for probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the space at most. We also couldn't rent space on Saturdays without renting the entire ballroom for the day.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware (at this point) there is no additional fee for the SWM events, so IF that is indeed the case the $13 for Saturday gets you into 3 SWM events, which is not bad considering $5 seems to be the standard for typical weekly tournaments.

I don't know what the story is with prize support, but if yesterday's AppleCon charity event is any indication, Jim will throw some decent prize support in on top of anything Scott provides. (yesterday was... WOW awesome - thanks Jim!)

Perhaps Seth will have more details soon. I didn't think to discuss it with him yesterday.

PS - Isn't there an entry fee for pretty much every event at Gencon, on top of the "door fee"?

Let me address your "PS" first. Yes, there is an additional entry fee for every GenCon event beyond the badge. Comparing EgyptCon to GenCon is like comparing a Schwinn bicycle to a Lamborghini, though. The event fees are optional for judges to charge, not a requirement for running stuff at GenCon. In fact I have known some judges to eat the table-space cost themselves and run free games. So that said, let's move on to the other subject.

I can tell you exactly why the cost went up. It's because Scott took the event away from the SGS. When it was tied to the SGS, they - as a student organization - were able to have use of the student center for free. The only thing they had to contend with was what week it was available. So yeah having it downtown at the civic center, I'm sure that means there is more cost associated. It also probably doesn't help that the event can't attract sponsors and vendors due to five years of pure suckage. I remember it in its heyday, and it was incredible - especially for a town like Carbondale. The community there needs to realize it is NOT the Mecca of downstate IL. The hotels are too expensive and the taxes are too high. I thank God that I have had a friend like Jim Frasier living there for the last 5 years, because I could not really justify the hotel room fees any longer.

I'm sorry to be so down on Egyptian Campaign, I really think the people that run the events do a great job and I have always had a (mostly) great time playing the games and meeting the gamers there. My beef is with the staff, and to be honest, I don't care too much for Scott. I find him to be crass and rather unappreciative of the support from outside the local community. The Kentucky SWM crowd has probably made the 2-hour one-way drive to his store 4-6 times, not to mention the supoort of EgyptCon and Little Egypt Wars over the years, and he has yet to say, "thank you." It's a small thing, but still a thing nonetheless.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dennis,

No, I wasn't comparing Egypt Wars with Gencon. :shock: :lol:
I was just underscoring that $13 for three SWM events is reasonable, if that is how it turns out (and I believe it will).

There is no need to apologize for showing a lack of enthusiasm about the event as a whole. I attended it for the first time two years ago (I think) as a SWM noob, (I remember playing matches with you and Jason) and I had expected more to be happening. Seems like the SWMinis players tend to have the most fun.

From my understanding, the SGS totally dropped the ball on planning last year, causing the usual Spring event to be canceled, and that is when Scott stepped in and took charge, resulting in "Little Egypt Wars" last Fall. I don't know the gritty details about what all went on, so my understanding may not be accurate, but it sounded like there was a lot of internal squabbling in the SGS. In any case, it is what it is now.

Scott can certainly rub people the wrong way at times. No doubt the Kentucky bunch deserves some appreciation from him for the support you guys have given over the years. It isn't that hard to say "thanks". :roll:

I hope our player group has left a better impression :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

swinefeld wrote:
Dennis,

I was just underscoring that $13 for three SWM events is reasonable, if that is how it turns out (and I believe it will).

There is no need to apologize for showing a lack of enthusiasm about the event as a whole. I attended it for the first time two years ago (I think) as a SWM noob, (I remember playing matches with you and Jason) and I had expected more to be happening. Seems like the SWMinis players tend to have the most fun.

From my understanding, the SGS totally dropped the ball on planning last year, causing the usual Spring event to be canceled, and that is when Scott stepped in and took charge, resulting in "Little Egypt Wars" last Fall. I don't know the gritty details about what all went on, so my understanding may not be accurate, but it sounded like there was a lot of internal squabbling in the SGS. In any case, it is what it is now.

Scott can certainly rub people the wrong way at times. No doubt the Kentucky bunch deserves some appreciation from him for the support you guys have given over the years. It isn't that hard to say "thanks". :roll:

My problems with Scott go way beyond SWM. That is short-term. When I think of Scott, I remember him as the jerk that yanked prize support at the 11th hour from the E-Con (slang for Egyptian Campaign for people who don't know) Magic events as the games were finishing up, and without telling anyone. The only reason he did it is because another vendor was selling 3 packs for $10 (as opposed to Scott's $3.69 per pack, regardless of quantity), and it ruffled his feathers that all the sealed tournament players went to buy their packs from another venue. So basically since Scott wasn't making money he just decided not to sponsor it. That would have been fine if he had made it clear up front, or if he had even told those of us playing in the sealed that he was doing that. Instead it was all a big secret and he just took his ball and went home. Only it hurt the convention - and the SGS didn't care because they hate Magic even more than some of the people around here do - and it hurt the events.

I have known Scott for about as long as I have been attending Egyptian Campaign, and I don't have a very high opinion of him. His coup de tat of the convention - and I do understand why he did it - doesn't really alter that opinion. Given the doubled fee, it actually just reinforces it.

To answer your other question, no I don't have a negative impression of the SWM Carbondale crowd. Quite the opposite. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Dennis,

My problems with Scott go way beyond SWM. That is short-term. When I think of Scott, I remember him as the jerk that yanked prize support at the 11th hour from the E-Con (slang for Egyptian Campaign for people who don't know) Magic events as the games were finishing up, and without telling anyone. The only reason he did it is because another vendor was selling 3 packs for $10 (as opposed to Scott's $3.69 per pack, regardless of quantity), and it ruffled his feathers that all the sealed tournament players went to buy their packs from another venue. So basically since Scott wasn't making money he just decided not to sponsor it. That would have been fine if he had made it clear up front, or if he had even told those of us playing in the sealed that he was doing that. Instead it was all a big secret and he just took his ball and went home. Only it hurt the convention - and the SGS didn't care because they hate Magic even more than some of the people around here do - and it hurt the events.

I have known Scott for about as long as I have been attending Egyptian Campaign, and I don't have a very high opinion of him. His coup de tat of the convention - and I do understand why he did it - doesn't really alter that opinion. Given the doubled fee, it actually just reinforces it.

To answer your other question, no I don't have a negative impression of the SWM Carbondale crowd. Quite the opposite. :)

Well, that tells me quite a bit. I've nothing further to say on that subject, as it isn't helping this thread ;)

Back on topic, I do hope you guys decide to come up for the SWM events. It's anyone's guess what the future holds for SWM up in our area.

I'm hopeful that my son and I can join the folks coming from here to your place for Regionals, if work/mom/wife :mj: will allow it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Well some of us will be there. Im coming for sure.