logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Ferus Cannon, by my son (age 12)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So my son slapped this together this afternoon. He asked me to post it here and get some feedback from the Pros 8-)

--Anthony's Ferus Cannon--

46 Han Solo, Scoundrel
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
27 Ferus Olin
20 Princess Leia
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(150pts. 10 activations)

I'm pretty sure his plan is to ghost Han for the mettle rerolls, and Ferus will cover Luke and Leia as needed until he finds a good opening to use DT.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Ferus Cannon, by my son (age 12)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like the idea of Ferus bodyguarding the somewhat fragile Luke. It should let luke live long enough to use his amazing force push at least once. Might want to change Han Solo, Scoundrel for something less expensive, like maybe Han Solo of Hoth or Han Solo Rebel hero if he wants a cunning attack shooter. But for some synergy with Luke and just overall damage output, Han Solo Smuggler is always a good mini to have with Princess Leia.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

obikenobi1 wrote:
I like the idea of Ferus bodyguarding the somewhat fragile Luke. It should let luke live long enough to use his amazing force push at least once. Might want to change Han Solo, Scoundrel for something less expensive, like maybe Han Solo of Hoth or Han Solo Rebel hero if he wants a cunning attack shooter. But for some synergy with Luke and just overall damage output, Han Solo Smuggler is always a good mini to have with Princess Leia.

I agree that Scoundrel is expensive. But when I look at this, I think he is on to something. Scoundrel has Twin and Evade, making him deadlier with Leia and still able to survive being exposed. (mettle evade rerolls? oh yeah!)

Heck, I'm just proud of him for building something that looks decent without Rieekan or Dodonna :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, runninng Han Smuggler in a build like this really won't help much, as you don't have Rieekan or Dodonna, and just simply swapping the Hans won't give you enough points to squeeze both in.

I like the general idea of the build here. Ferus can BG for Han as well (after he's made his Evade/Mettle Re-rolls no less). It will take a bit of a pounding from opposing shooter heavy squads, but in general this looks like a solid build.

Obviously, I think it would work a lot better at the 200 point level once you start adding other stuff like Dodonna/Rieekan, but for a 150 squad, this is pretty decent IMO, with 3 fairly powerful threats that could really cause a headache for your opponent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, runninng Han Smuggler in a build like this really won't help much, as you don't have Rieekan or Dodonna, and just simply swapping the Hans won't give you enough points to squeeze both in.

I like the general idea of the build here. Ferus can BG for Han as well (after he's made his Evade/Mettle Re-rolls no less). It will take a bit of a pounding from opposing shooter heavy squads, but in general this looks like a solid build.

Obviously, I think it would work a lot better at the 200 point level once you start adding other stuff like Dodonna/Rieekan, but for a 150 squad, this is pretty decent IMO, with 3 fairly powerful threats that could really cause a headache for your opponent.

You probably don't need to fit Dodonna in, but Rieekan + Han Solo Smuggler (27+14 = 41) is less points than the 46 points being spent for Han Solo Scoundrel, and he will have 5 points more to spend on something else (caamasi noble?). Dodonna is great with Rieekan, Han Smuggler and Leia in 200pt, but I think for 150pt it's good enough just to have Rieekan and Han Smuggler. It will make his squad have 12 activations instead of 10.

As for Han Solo Scoundrel, he is a good piece and with Leia its even better. Your son did a good job of picking it out, since the twin cunning accurate is deadly. I just don't like how he costs 46 points for 80 HP.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, but he's got effectively 180 HP with Ferus there. Remember, the winning squad at Gencon in 08 had Han Scoundrel, the Snowspeeder, and Leia. So, don't knock Han's 80 Hp too much. Han Smuggler only has 70 HP, and no Force Points for re-rolling evades, and no Ferus BG'ing either. So, I think this squad loses quite a bit of it's synergy if you switch to Han Smuggler instead. Granted, you give Mobile to Luke and Leia in return which is nice, but as long as you keep Han Scoundrel up front, a lot of squads don't have as much accurate shot these days, so Han will be the primary target then, followed by a BG'ing Ferus, and then Leia/Luke can hide out behind that.

San Hill is still competitive, and it rarely has Mobile/Evade either, at least not as much as a Rieekan Rebel squad does. Don't ALWAYS need Rieekan/Dodonna.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have to agree that the lack of mobile on the rest of the squad is an issue vs shooty squads, or tempo control in general.

After reading I see some options for switching things around. Not sure if they will be better, but if they look decent I'll post them here for further consideration.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Edit: Note I didn't see Lobo's 2nd post when I sent this one, and he makes some great points!

Last edited by swinefeld on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Swine, it's a good build as is. I don't see any changes worth making. He will face some issues with evade, and not being able to base easily. One alternative (although not necessarily better) is replacing Luke HPU with Luke RC. That adds a movement breaker to Ferus, Han, and on occasion Leia. I used that combo in 200 the other day, and it was quite effective. I was playing against a Nom/Cad squad, so I lifted out Ferus at the end of a round, based Cad, and used Leia to finish him. Luke HPU helps with push, so it's a wash in my opinion. I simple thought I'd mention it in case your son hadn't thought of the offensive options Ferus has (which you don't want to ignore simply because he makes a great BG). Being able to do 40 dmg on a Leia atk (precision), and 50 on his own turn (Without using Dark Temptation) is awesome for 2pts.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Swine, it's a good build as is. I don't see any changes worth making. He will face some issues with evade, and not being able to base easily. One alternative (although not necessarily better) is replacing Luke HPU with Luke RC. That adds a movement breaker to Ferus, Han, and on occasion Leia. I used that combo in 200 the other day, and it was quite effective. I was playing against a Nom/Cad squad, so I lifted out Ferus at the end of a round, based Cad, and used Leia to finish him. Luke HPU helps with push, so it's a wash in my opinion. I simple thought I'd mention it in case your son hadn't thought of the offensive options Ferus has (which you don't want to ignore simply because he makes a great BG). Being able to do 40 dmg on a Leia atk (precision), and 50 on his own turn (Without using Dark Temptation) is awesome for 2pts.

Thanks Bill. (I missed Lobo's 2nd post when I replied last).

I was thinking about Luke RC as well, and agree either one is good, just different. Though being able to drop Ferus in the enemies face is pretty sweet. I'll have to play some practice with my son so he can see how this runs.

He'll be jazzed that you guys liked his build. :D