logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Advantageous Barrage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I think this might be a decent squad in the present meta... Sort of has a balance between melee and shooter offensive :)

71 Lord Vader
31 Arica
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Probe Droid
8 Wicket
6 Ewok Scout
6 RA-7 Death Star Protocol Droid
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(150pts. 10 activations)

Arica can Barrage for an extra 10 damage per shot, multiplied by however many targets she can fire at - Wicket can be used to help hit things, and the Death Star Droid can nullify SS.

LV is a mean ol' bugger on his own.

Ozzel regulates tempo so I can position my pieces optimally.

And the Ewok Scout can swing for 30 with LV's CE. Cute! :vader2:

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Advantageous Barrage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

just won't work well.. sorry, neither vader nor arica have any defensive abilities.. and if you plan on striking first go with Thrawn - the empire's best advantage in minis.

Arica and LV can be good together.

add in thrawn of your choice and use arica to BB, while Vader cleans up later in the round. For this duo i would suggest Mithrawn.

71+31+32 = 134

fill the rest in with swappers and scrubs.. say
1 mice
1 ugg
1 rodian
1 caamasi

7 activations is a little low, but hopefully thrawn and arica can swing things in your favor in good time.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm 

Ruhk wrote:
just won't work well.. sorry, neither vader nor arica have any defensive abilities.. and if you plan on striking first go with Thrawn - the empire's best advantage in minis.

Thanks for the comment, but I do have to disagree here :P

Thrawn may grant initiative control and Opportunist, but I regard him somewhat as a luxury, not a necessity.

Yes, LV and Arica lack solid defense... But that's why I have Ozzel - for slow advances that could keep them alive :)

Tried it the other day, and won despite the fact that Vader got Severed from the Force; Arica tore through the enemies like a weed cutter :)

Do try it and let me know if it works for you... If it doesn't, feel free to add Thrawn in :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I would suggest adding in Mithrawn. It just really helps out to have Master Tactician and Arica, who can blaster barrage with twin cunning. Now unless you have so other way to win inits consistently, Mithrawn is a must when you have Arica. Add in that Vader is a lightsaber assaulting twin opportunistic beast who can swap anywhere it makes sense to put Mithrawn in. I'd suggest having Mithrawn and a few Rodian Brutes. Your squad may have worked as it is right now, but there are lots more options and synergy with Mithrawn in your squad.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:14 pm 

obikenobi1 wrote:
I would suggest adding in Mithrawn. It just really helps out to have Master Tactician and Arica, who can blaster barrage with twin cunning. Now unless you have so other way to win inits consistently, Mithrawn is a must when you have Arica. Add in that Vader is a lightsaber assaulting twin opportunistic beast who can swap anywhere it makes sense to put Mithrawn in. I'd suggest having Mithrawn and a few Rodian Brutes. Your squad may have worked as it is right now, but there are lots more options and synergy with Mithrawn in your squad.

At 200, certainly, I'd chuck out the Probe Droid and put in Thrawn :)

I know he makes Arica better, but I'd hardly classify Thrawn as a must while running her - stsparks proved otherwise during GenCon 2009, IIRC...

Heck, this squad was inspired by that very squad stsparks made :D

He had Vader UNL, Arica, RA-7, UDD, Ozzel, Ewok Scout, and some other fillers, IIRC...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

MasterShaper wrote:
obikenobi1 wrote:

At 200, certainly, I'd chuck out the Probe Droid and put in Thrawn :)

I know he makes Arica better, but I'd hardly classify Thrawn as a must while running her - stsparks proved otherwise during GenCon 2009, IIRC...

Heck, this squad was inspired by that very squad stsparks made :D

He had Vader UNL, Arica, RA-7, UDD, Ozzel, Ewok Scout, and some other fillers, IIRC...

Sparks didn't play at GenCon at all this year that I'm aware of. And there weren't any good Vader/Arica squads that I remember either. Perhaps you're remembering a different convention?

Running Lord Vader and Arica at 150 points is really tough. Makes for a good 200 point squad, but 150 would be tough.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 am 

LoboStele wrote:
Sparks didn't play at GenCon at all this year that I'm aware of. And there weren't any good Vader/Arica squads that I remember either. Perhaps you're remembering a different convention?

Running Lord Vader and Arica at 150 points is really tough. Makes for a good 200 point squad, but 150 would be tough.

Ah, must be a different convention as you said... I clearly recall stsparks mentioning something about 'everything being there for a reason' when asked about the Vader UNL and Arica combo :P

Tough, yes... But fun :)

Arica with an extra 10 damage per shot was lovely the other day - chewed through an OR squad with Nomi, Vodo, and JBM like a lawnmower ^^ Even the OR Captain's +3 defense wasn't a factor since Ozzel let Wicket advance safely :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would have to agree with everyone else that you should try and add in thrawn if not for all his other advantages, then for his swapping alone. I don't disagree with you that the squad may work well but for top teir events. I think you need thrawn. The only story you have of it working is against an old republic squad. That should say somthing to you right there. While o.r. may have some nice pieces they lack where it really matters to make them competative. So yes your squad may work against a lackluster o.r. Squad but it runs into a lot of disadvantagous against the top squads from the top factions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Ignoring the lack of thrawn for a moment, i don' think you have enough activations.

10 activations with ozzel is not going to help you set up a good blaster barrage. Without Thrawn your best set up will be to place Arica at the end of the round, win init, barrage and move to hiding near Vader. Most Rebel will have at least 10 activations and Dodonna which means Arica will get destroyed by Han Sm/PL, if they are with Luke RC then his levitation to add up to 12 squares of movement to Han will spell almost certain death for Arica.

I like the use of your tech with the Ra-7, wicket and the like but the way your forcing yourself to play you need to make sure you out-activate. You also have no override and without thrawn those 2 uggies are not really gonna cut it.

LV
Arica
Lobot
ozzel
2 x uggie
Gran

This can get you up to 13 activations and you can bring in a treadwell for 'its a trap' and targetting should you need to (at the expence of 11 activations instead of 13). you get override but lose your probe but your mice will be free and you will need to sacrifice them on occasions to get a decent barrage. But even this is lacking in Mas which means you are restricted to running Arica and Vader close to each other and the lack of movement breakers without good defensive abilities really hurt this squad.

I think, as others have said, that this is a squad that suffers from lack of defence and just doesn't have enough tricks to really compete at 150. Its got great power but Vader will be all too easy to avoid, and arica will have to risk too much too often to get a good BB.

The makings of a fine 200 pointer, but a below average 150.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:36 am 

fingersandteeth wrote:
Ignoring the lack of thrawn for a moment, i don' think you have enough activations.

10 activations with ozzel is not going to help you set up a good blaster barrage. Without Thrawn your best set up will be to place Arica at the end of the round, win init, barrage and move to hiding near Vader. Most Rebel will have at least 10 activations and Dodonna which means Arica will get destroyed by Han Sm/PL, if they are with Luke RC then his levitation to add up to 12 squares of movement to Han will spell almost certain death for Arica.

I like the use of your tech with the Ra-7, wicket and the like but the way your forcing yourself to play you need to make sure you out-activate. You also have no override and without thrawn those 2 uggies are not really gonna cut it.

LV
Arica
Lobot
ozzel
2 x uggie
Gran

This can get you up to 13 activations and you can bring in a treadwell for 'its a trap' and targetting should you need to (at the expence of 11 activations instead of 13). you get override but lose your probe but your mice will be free and you will need to sacrifice them on occasions to get a decent barrage. But even this is lacking in Mas which means you are restricted to running Arica and Vader close to each other and the lack of movement breakers without good defensive abilities really hurt this squad.

I think, as others have said, that this is a squad that suffers from lack of defence and just doesn't have enough tricks to really compete at 150. Its got great power but Vader will be all too easy to avoid, and arica will have to risk too much too often to get a good BB.

The makings of a fine 200 pointer, but a below average 150.

Hmmm, I see your point...

As usual, it's the Rebels giving me a headache XD

Ah well - back to the drawing board, then :P