logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: SSB 2.0 version 0.8 rules
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Here they are (hard drive failure and all).
The ships will follow in a few days.

SSB 2.0 rules version 0.8
Written by Eric Larson
Play tested by:

Game board/terrain
The game board is the same as for War at Sea. (need to insert pic)
Terrain
Planets – cannot be entered by any ship (ships with “landing” gain points for being adjacent
Asteroid fields – fighters can enter these spaces (other ships/subs cannot)

Ship types
BB (Battleships) – large battle wagons of the universe
CA (Heavy Cruisers) – lots of guns, but not as much armor as BB’s.
CL (Light Cruisers) – much smaller ships, less armor
DD (destroyers) – lightest capital ships in the game
SUB (subs, looking for a better Star Wars name) – ships that only a few other ships can target
F (fighters) – small fighters (either single uniques or small groups)

Movement
Each sector on the board has 6 sides. Ships can move in any direction and have no facing (ie. no front, side or rear).
Capital ships can move 1-3 sectors, fighters move 2-4 sectors and SUBS can move 1 sector

Set up
Roll for map, then set up map (use the WaS maps 1-5) (insert pics)
Roll for side, high roll selects side and sets up first
Capital ships sets up in the last row of the board
Subs can set up anywhere on your half of the map
Fighters with hyperdrives can setup anywhere on your half of the map (Gravity Well Projectors prevent the use of hyperdrives)
Stacking limits – 2 capital ships, 1 sub and 4 fighters from each side can be in the same sector

Movement
Roll for init 2d6 and add your flag rating. Lower roll moves first – player 1 (no choice). The player who has the higher init roll is player 2.
Player 1 moves their capital ships (not subs) and then player 2 moves their capital ships.
Player 1 moves their subs and then player 2 moves their subs.
Player 1 moves one fighter, then player 2 moves a fighter. Keep alternating until one player is out of fighters to move and then the player with fighters remaining moves the rest.

Fighters attack
Fighter can attack other fighters, make torpedo or bomb attacks against enemy ships, or strafe enemy ships
When fighters attack other fighters, use the anti-fighter attack value
When fighters make torpedo attacks against enemy ships, roll d6’s equal to the attack value
When fighters make bomb attacks against enemy ships, roll d6’s equal to the attack value
When fighter strafe enemy ships use the gunnery attack value (fighters that are strafing have -2 to both armor and vital armor)
Player 1 fires all their anti-air attacks (ships and fighters)
Player 2 fires all their anti-air attacks (ships and fighters)
Player 1 attacks with any surviving fighters
Player 2 attacks with any surviving fighters
Apply damage to ships and fighters

Capital ships attack
Player 1 fires all their capital ships (not subs). Once a ship starts firing, all that ships weapons must be rolled before moving on to a different ship (ie. After you fire the main gun on one ship, you must make all the remaining attacks for that ship before moving on).
Player 2 fires all their capital ships (not subs).
Apply damage to ships/subs

Subs attack
Subs roll one less torpedo die for each enemy DD in the same or adjacent sector. Also subtract one torpedo die for each anti-sub attack during this turn. A DD that makes an anti-sub attack only subtracts one torpedo die not two.
Player 1 fires all their SUBS
Player 2 fires all their SUBS
Apply damage to ships/subs

Attacks
Roll the number of d6 equal to the attack value at the range (units in the same sector are range 0). 4’s and 5’s count as one hit. 6’s count as two hits.
If the number of hits is:
Less than your targets armor – nothing happens
Equal to or greater than your targets armor (but less than the vital armor) – one damage
Equal to or greater than your targets vital armor – unit destroyed
If your targets hull points are reduced to zero, the unit is destroyed

Sub torpedo’s hit on a 6 for 2 damage. This damage goes directly to the hull (bypasses armor and vital armor)

Build total and how to win
The normal build total is 100, 200 or 300 points.
The game is played to 150, 300 or 450 points.
Objectives
1) Defeating an enemy unit is worth it cost
2) Each objective token is worth 50, 100 or 150 points respectively.
3) Defeating all your opponents capital ships is worth the same as an objective token

Check for victory at the end of a turn.
1) If one player does not have any units left, then the other player has won.
2) The player with the higher point total wins.

Claiming an objective token
To control an objective token, you must have at least one capital ship in the same sector as the objective token and the 6 sectors surrounding the token must be clear of enemy capital ships. Remove the objective marker from the board and place it in front of you. Once taken objective tokens cannot be taken away (even if your opponent later moves into that sector).

Extra comments
Capital ships can not use ER X on DD’s.
When DD’s are targeted by a BB’s main guns, only 6’s hit (they still count as 2 hits)
DD’s can either make gunnery/torpedo attacks or anti-sub attacks (not both).
Fighters choose to attack with bombs or torpedo’s (not both)

Variants
500 point games
Increase ship stacking to 3 capital ships, 1 sub and 6 fighters per side in the same sector
The game is played to 750 points and each objective is worth 250 points

Post subject: Re: SSB 2.0 version 0.8 rules
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

When I saw the requirement, use War at Sea maps, my heart sank. A lot of people don't have War at Sea, the maps are too big to be laminated for cheap, and I can't imagine a lot of people are going to buy a $25 game, particularly a WotC game, they will never play just to have the maps. I'm curious why you didn't design the rules to keep the starship battle map in mind.

Other than that, I think the rules look fun. I would love to try them out sometime - if I can find my War at Sea maps, I may have accidentally thrown them away.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'd agree that using the WaS maps will turn a lot of people off, IMO. First and foremost, it won't look like a space battle if there's water underneath our X-Wings and such. Is there a way to make it work with the SWSSB map? If not, might approach Jedicartographer about including a new SSB map on the back of one of his upcoming Map sets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

actaully Eric and I have already discussed this he probably just did not get the change made yet because we are not clear on what to do.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I'm still trying to figure out a way to use the SSB map. Grid maps are just poor maps for wargames. Hexes work better. It's all about diagonal movement.

Look for a fix. Currently I'm thinking something about drawing over the existing grid (it is a nice background).

It's not like you can start to play anyway. I still need to send out the ships. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I was under the impression from the SHNN broadcast that a person would be able to purchase the starter and play with Engineer's new rules. Was I mistaken? Cause now we are talking about maps and ships.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Boba52 wrote:
Not to derail this thread or anything, but I was under the impression from the SHNN broadcast that a person would be able to purchase the starter and play with Engineer's new rules. Was I mistaken? Cause now we are talking about maps and ships.

I will clarify.

The current SSB 1.0 ships will all be used in SSB 2.0.
All the ships will have new cards (I'm still working on the cards, look for them soon).

The map will be like the WaS map. Hex based works so much better than grid maps. I'm working on a way to make the existing SSB 1.0 map work with SSB 2.0. (stay tuned)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:01 pm 
Guardian of the Old Republic
Guardian of the Old Republic

Engineer wrote:
Boba52 wrote:

I will clarify.

All the ships will have new cards (I'm still working on the cards, look for them soon).

The map will be like the WaS map. Hex based works so much better than grid maps. I'm working on a way to make the existing SSB 1.0 map work with SSB 2.0. (stay tuned)

This better not suck as a game lol...I just ordered a case, and getting a starter, and now have to find the ships from the lone booster I bought two years ago lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

joelker41 wrote:
This better not suck as a game lol...I just ordered a case, and getting a starter, and now have to find the ships from the lone booster I bought two years ago lol.

Thanks, no pressure there. :Anniepilot:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
I'd agree that using the WaS maps will turn a lot of people off, IMO. First and foremost, it won't look like a space battle if there's water underneath our X-Wings and such. Is there a way to make it work with the SWSSB map? If not, might approach Jedicartographer about including a new SSB map on the back of one of his upcoming Map sets.

Yeah I was just about to ask you If you need some back up on this? Maybe a Star Map and some planet/and asteroid tiles?

I will help out, And I think I know exactly how to do it.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Engineer wrote:
Boba52 wrote:

I will clarify.

Sounds good. OK so maybe I should shut up, but is WaS the same as Axis and Allies miniatures? and if so then if I look at the Vassal maps I will get a good idea of what you are thinking?

Maybe we can get JC to make some maps and put them on Vassal and do some playtesting that way?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Above is exactly the map.
Planet, asteroid and debris tiles are all needed.

I'm still working on a way to make the existing SSB 1.0 map work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Creating the map you need literally takes 30 minutes, if you want somthing let me know.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Dean solved the map issue. You will need two maps to play.

Look for the ships this week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Will this be any more practical than requiring the purchase of a different WotC game starter? I honestly don't know how hard it will be to find SSB starters.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Miniature Market still shows having 28 of the Starters in stock for only $22.50. Plus, if you need 2 maps, and it takes you and a friend to play, then there's a good chance you'll have two maps. :)

I get emails every now and then from Amazon.com as well telling me I should buy a SSB starter since I've bought SMWs through Amazon before. So, I think there's still a fair number of Starters out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Miniature Market still shows having 28 of the Starters in stock for only $22.50. Plus, if you need 2 maps, and it takes you and a friend to play, then there's a good chance you'll have two maps. :)

I get emails every now and then from Amazon.com as well telling me I should buy a SSB starter since I've bought SMWs through Amazon before. So, I think there's still a fair number of Starters out there.

It won't affect me as I have 2 starters, but I know some people who would want to play with spouses/significant others at home, and may not want to buy a second starter just for the map.

EDIT: Also, that is some MAJOR table space.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Well the thing is both players are required to bring a map to play.

In this instance they are just both going to use them

Plus i have a couple of extras

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:06 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Will this be any more practical than requiring the purchase of a different WotC game starter? I honestly don't know how hard it will be to find SSB starters.

I need to post my thought process on the map issue.

Today was a snow day in my part of MI. I played with my kids instead of finishing the ships. Back to fun (work). :DS2:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

If JC is able to crank out a couple maps for this, I know I would be willing to buy a pair of maps. I have no interest in buying a WaS starter but would be more than willing to buy some more of JC's Maps :D

I am looking forward to checking out more of the ships as you get them finished.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next