logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Canadian Sealed!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:11 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Today I had the opportunity to go and visit my super buddy Trevor!

We met at his LGS (which unfortunately filled up with Magic players quite quickly!) and stood (those darn magic players took all the chairs), to play some pseudo-sealed.

Pseudo Sealed is when we both get our cases separately; and open all the booster, but we keep the card bundles together so we can still draw at random.

Don (R4Don5) was able to join as as well as Trevor's amigo Nick.

The first round saw Trevor, Don and myself face off in a 3 way match up on JediCartographer's Theed map. I found that getting around through the rough terrain was difficult. We played it as winner is the one with most damaged dealt. That was interesting as Trevor was set up in a spot where he would have easy shots on both Don and I! It certainly made the game difficult.

Trevor ran in that match:
Merumeru
IG-88 AD
EG-05 JH Droid
Togorian
Triani Scout
501st Stormie
Rodian Brute

I had
Boushh, UH
Dengar, HK
Talz Chieftain
Talz Warrior x2
E. Sith Assassin
Togorian Soldier
Kota's Militia
Gungan BH
E. Trando Merc

Don ran
4-LOM, DM
Bossk, TH
501st Commander x2
501st Clone Trooper
Imp Engineer
Rodian Brute
E. Sith Assassin

The end result was IG-88 Pulse Cannon-ed, Merumeru double-mighty-close-quarter-ed and the EG Hunted, the match ended with Trevor having done over 400 damage and Don and I only have done about 200 each.. The 3 way was tough to pull off on Theed as there were long shooting lanes that Trevor could take. Oh well.

Then nick showed up and we were able to do some 2v2. New boosters for everyone! We rolled off from teams and it ended with Trevor and I vs Don and Nick. We set up on the Transit Station, with Allies in opposite corners.

This time I ran:
Kir Kanos
Jedi Watchman
EG-05 JH Droid
Talz Chieftain
Talz Warrior
Kota's Elite Militia
Kota's Militia
Trianii Scout
Imperial Engineer
Rodian Brute

Trevor had:
Zuckuss, BH
Boushh, UH
Jedi Watchman
EG-05 JH Droid
501st Stormtrooper
Imp Sovereign Protector

Don ran:
Kir Kanos
ISP
Jedi Watchman x2
Talz Chieftain
Talz Warrior
Kota's Militia
ARF Trooper

While Nick out activated us all with:
Dengar HK
Jax Pavan
Talz Chieftain
Kota's Militia
Kota's Elite Militia
Rodian Brute
Rodian Raider
E. Trando Merc
Jedi Watchman
+ a few other guys, can't remember exactly.

This match was a lot of fun. Dengar got the first blood on my Engineer, and I spent the rest of the round trying to shoot back.. but missing! Don came down and tried to stab me in the back, and Trevor also moved down to attack Nick. The action happened at the top of the map. Highlights were Dengar's Final Shot on Boushh, Zuckuss constantly trying to run away from Don't Kir.. and missing 4/5 shots to glue him in place. It came down to Don's Kir vs my Kir/Kota's Militia, and Trevor's ISP/501st. WE made short work of Kir and then for fun, I started attacking Trevor.. Kir cleaned up the rest nicely. Go Kir! With his Loner and beefy stats, we was the VIP of the game.

Final match was myself and Nick teamed up on one of the new maps in MPII, can't remember the name. looks like a crumbling temple :P. New boosters again!

This time, I ran:
Zuckuss, BH
Bossk, TH
Imp Inquisitor
Jedi Watchman
501st Clone Commander
Kota's Elite Militia
Imp Engineer

Nick had:
Merumeru
IG-88 AD
ISP
Imperial Engineer
Rodian Raider
Rodian Brute
ARF Trooper

While Trevor ran:
Ferus Olin
Dass Jennir
Mando JH
501st Stormie
E Trando Merc
Trianii Scout
Emperor's Hand
Rodian Brute

and finally Don ran:
Bomo Greenbark
4-LOM, DM
Mando JH
ISP
501st Clone Trooper
501st Cone Commander
Rodian Raider
ARF Trooper
+ few more guys

I was quite worried about this match up, they had strong Jedi, and strong Jedi hunters! However 2 key issue pulled it through for Nick and I. Second round I was able to shoot Don's ARF, and then Nick, in an amazing move, ran his ISP across the board to open a door, and used pulse cannon to hit a clump of 4 guys. 2 of them took 40 each, even with a force point reroll! He knocked out a rodian and hit another for 10. THe epic combo of Zuckuss+Imp Inquisitor proved to be a deadly combo, as Zuckuss was essential always at a +13.. even sometimes at +17. The Zuckuss+ Imp Inquisitor proved to be my MVP, every time a Mando JH based Zuckuss.. the Inquisitor would push him away, and Zucks would shoot and run. The Inquisitor also aided the Jedi Watchman to actually hit stuff! I didn't try any TTTDS, but the 3 force pushes that he got off were key, one killing a clone commander. In the end, Nick and I ran rampant over Trevor and Don. Zuckuss was unstoppable and the Imp Inquis was unkillable! Dass pulled off a double-Dispassionate Killer on Merumeru{on-the-wall} for 80 then killed himself :P Only 4-lom.. running around the map and missing -a lot- was left; and eventually we hunted him down and he was dispatched by my 501st Commander.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: Canadian Sealed!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:13 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

In ending;
IG is a beast and wipes out groups.
the EG is a deadly machine
Zuckuss is awesome.. when he can hit :P
the OR sucks :P
and the Togorians never based a thing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:41 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Yep, that sums it up quite well. Good job Eric. And I agree that was some very masterful use of the Inquisitor with Zuckuss even if you do say so yourself. Fool told me don't worry about playing against Tint and Ruhk, just pull Zuckuss and IG-88 and you'll do fine. :? Tons of fun for all and we didn't even mind the standing room only. I hope you can make down again some time soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Ooo. I even forgot that there was prize support! Steve sent down some DT boosters and we drafted the pieces amongst ourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ruhk wrote:
Ooo. I even forgot that there was prize support! Steve sent down some DT boosters and we drafted the pieces amongst ourselves.

I've heard nothing but bad things about that Steve guy.

Must have caught him on a good day

Great review - wish I could have been there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Thanks for posting, Eric! Yeah, this was a blast. Pseudo-sealed is the format that Eric and I have been using at almost every set release since CW. We had a great time. There's not much more to add to what Eric and Don said, so I'll highlight some of the funny things of the day:

-I realized that the adjacency requirement of the Torgorian's Bravado makes him nearly worthless. We laughed about this a lot.

-"Merumeru on the wall" is his name, and henceforth always shall be.

-My Zuckuss sucks badly (hitting 1/5 shots)...but Eric's is amazing (hitting every shot)...yes, the actual mini is what makes the difference!

-The OR Jedi Watchman could be cool...but he's not, because he's OR, and therefore he sucks too. Poor guy.

-Jedicartographer's maps...they're GREAT to play on!

-Don and I like grouping our figs together so that Nick can blast them all to smitherines with his Pulse Cannon. Yeah, it was our...strategy.... :?

Can't wait to do it again, lads! MotF, here we come!

And thanks again to Steve for the cool prizes!

EDIT: One more thing: at the end of the day, the LGS was starting to stink quite a bit, with 40+ MTG players in there for 5 hours! :roll: :mrgreen: