logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Fighting 501st
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ok, I've been mulling over in my mind as to how to make a good 501st squad, and it seems all my squads are kinda meh. Any ideas on how to make a good 150pt or 200pt squad? The cost of the 501st Stormies is what is really hard for me to make squads with, cause even with Vader, they still cost 10 pts but all you get is 20 HP. I love the abilities of the new mini's. I really want to use the new 501st Clone Commander, cause I think his CE is great! Please post ideas for making a squad with these guys that an be semi-competitve.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: The Fighting 501st
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

How about something like this? I just tossed it together quick though. Could probably be tweaked some more, but it's pretty well themed, IMO.

--501st Massacre--
47 General Skywalker
33 Captain Rex
15 501st Legion Clone Commander
52 501st Clone Trooper x4
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
24 501st Legion Clone Trooper x3
8 Mas Amedda
6 Rodian Brute x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 16 activations)

Could drop Gen Skywalker and 19 points of filler (maybe 2 of the 8 pt Troopers and one of the Rodians?) and run Flobi instead to give the 13 pt Troopers Triple, and give Rex Triple/Twin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like the idea of Flobi. The problem with the 501st Clones is Squad Assault. It isn't reliable unless you have somene like Commander Gree. Gree would have GMA with Double which is nice if he was in here. Any way to include him? A possible way would be to drop a 501st Legion and a 501st Clone, but then I'd be running low on activations. It would be 12 activations if I had Gree, which for 200pt isn't good. At least with Gree, the 501st Clones would have Tripple at +12 attack.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah, if you've got Flobi, Rex, Gree, and a few 501st clones with Triple, then 12 activations is just fine.

Heck, in times past, the top squads at 200 points have been as low as 8 activations with no tempo control.

If anything, I'd be more worried about Yobuck/Lancer/AniSTAP tearing through your 501st Clones, rather than not having enough activations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

LoboStele wrote:
Nah, if you've got Flobi, Rex, Gree, and a few 501st clones with Triple, then 12 activations is just fine.

Heck, in times past, the top squads at 200 points have been as low as 8 activations with no tempo control.

If anything, I'd be more worried about Yobuck/Lancer/AniSTAP tearing through your 501st Clones, rather than not having enough activations.

I'd definitely worry about that too. At least if you go the Imperial route, Vader can give them a +6 to Defense. Yoda still only needs a 4 to hit (when he's Galloping), but at least you have a chance he might miss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Tirade wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

I'd definitely worry about that too. At least if you go the Imperial route, Vader can give them a +6 to Defense. Yoda still only needs a 4 to hit (when he's Galloping), but at least you have a chance he might miss.

i myself have tried an imperial 501st squad based around Darth Vader Sith Apprentice using only 1 501st clone commander and a bunch of stormies and clones and uggies if theres room. it worked quite nicely.

Trollolololololololololol.

Who gave Palps on Throne evade? And who made the Yammosk sooo cheap?

Proud Creator of the abbreviation AnaSTAP.