logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Dankin, Ysalamiri Handler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Here's Dankin. Who is Dankin? At one point during Heir to the Empire, Thrawn sends Palleon to the planet where the ysalamiri live to harvest them. Dankin is one of the guys that Talon Karrde orders to teach Palleon's crew how to "handle" ysalamir.

Here's the exerpt:

Quote:
I presume you're already familiar with the ysalamiri's rather unique
characteristics;otherwise, you wouldn't be here. Can I assume you're also
familiar with the somewhat esoteric art of safely getting them off their tree
branches?" said Karrde.

Pellaeon studied him, suspicion all over his face. "I was under the impression that
ysalamiri were no more than fifty centimeters long and not predatory."

"I wasn't referring to your safety, Captain," Karrde told him. I meant theirs. You
can't just pull them off their branches, not without killing them. An ysalamir in
this stage is sessile;its claws have elongated to the point where they've
essentially grown directly into the core of the branch it inhabits."

"And you, I suppose, know the proper way to do it?"

"Some of my people do, yes," Karrde told him. "If you'd like, I could send one of
them to rendezvous with your shuttles. The technique involved isn't especially
difficult, but it really does have to be demonstrated."

"Of course," Pellaeon said, heavily sardonic. "And the fee for this esoteric
demonstration . . . ?"

"No fee, Captain. As I said earlier, we're just being neighborly."

Pellaeon cocked his head slightly to one side. "Your generosity will be remembered."
For a moment he held Karrde's gaze; and there was no mistaking the twin-edged meaning to the words. If Karrde was planning some sort of betrayal, it too would be
remembered. "I'll signal my shuttles to expect your expert."

"He'll be there. Good-bye, Captain."

Pellaeon reached for something off-camera, and once again Ave's face replaced his on
the screen. "You get all that?" Karrde asked the other.

Aves nodded. "Dankin and Chin are already warming up one of the Skiprays."

We thought it'd be cool to have a unique Fringe character with the ysalamiri ability. We'd considered a ysalamiri tree and some other ideas, but this was the most practical.

The mini is the Human Scoundrel. It's a simple matter to get some green stuff, roll out a ysalamiri, glue it to his back, and paint it up whatever color you want.

Anyway, let me know if it looks good or if it needs some tweaking.

You can find our custom cards here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

DC

Post subject: Re: Dankin, Ysalamiri Handler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

ESCELLENT idea! Good costed, and made Unique as well so it can't be abused. Works perfectly as a piece to keep in your reinforcements box, basically. wouldn't see a lot of use in a standard squad, but as Reinforcements/Reserves, I could definitely see utilizing this guy.

Just out of curiosity, but how did you come up with the cost for this guy? Thrawn costs 14 more points than Panaka, and has a slightly better version of the swap CE, plus the awesome +3/+3 CE. I don't think Panaka's Bodyguard and Opportunist are a good match, so I'd say Ysalimiri certainly isn't worth those full 14 points. So, I think your cost is pretty spot on, but I would be curious to see if you play-tested it at a slightly lower value (like maybe 8 or 9) and see how it works out.

Post subject: Re: Dankin, Ysalamiri Handler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:30 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

LoboStele wrote:
ESCELLENT idea! Good costed, and made Unique as well so it can't be abused. Works perfectly as a piece to keep in your reinforcements box, basically. wouldn't see a lot of use in a standard squad, but as Reinforcements/Reserves, I could definitely see utilizing this guy.

Just out of curiosity, but how did you come up with the cost for this guy? Thrawn costs 14 more points than Panaka, and has a slightly better version of the swap CE, plus the awesome +3/+3 CE. I don't think Panaka's Bodyguard and Opportunist are a good match, so I'd say Ysalimiri certainly isn't worth those full 14 points. So, I think your cost is pretty spot on, but I would be curious to see if you play-tested it at a slightly lower value (like maybe 8 or 9) and see how it works out.

Thanks, Lobo! We haven't play-tested this one yet. I didn't want it to be TOO cheap so that it'd become a staple on any squad, but it could go as low as 8 or 9 once we see how it plays.