logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post subject: Re: January DCI Changes Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I have a request for the next DCI rules update, particularly since the gambit rules will be changing - add a clarification to the gambit rules that only 5 points are scored regardless of the number of figures in the gambit. There's a venue I play at occasionally where the way they interpret the rules is that 5 points are scored per figure in gambit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:33 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

eMouse wrote:
I have a request for the next DCI rules update, particularly since the gambit rules will be changing - add a clarification to the gambit rules that only 5 points are scored regardless of the number of figures in the gambit. There's a venue I play at occasionally where the way they interpret the rules is that 5 points are scored per figure in gambit.

wow i can look at that I have never heard of that problem. But yes i can look into it. What is their response to you telling them the correct way to do gambit??

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
eMouse wrote:

wow i can look at that I have never heard of that problem. But yes i can look into it. What is their response to you telling them the correct way to do gambit??

Actually, Dean, that is one of the hardest things to explain to new players. We have had that come up several times, and I've seen it occur at GenCon and at other venues as well.

The solution for us was to define Gambit as being a player's total score, with a one-time per-round bonus of exactly 5 points for each player that has at least one figure within 4 squares of the map's center.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:04 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Yeah that's a common problem, and I do similiar to what Dennis described to handle it. On the otherhand when can we expect to see the update? Will WOTC be ontime with it or will we be at their slow to respond nature again with this update?

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:16 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

dalsiandon wrote:
Yeah that's a common problem, and I do similiar to what Dennis described to handle it. On the otherhand when can we expect to see the update? Will WOTC be ontime with it or will we be at their slow to respond nature again with this update?

If i was a gambling man i would bet they are running a bit behind as they are still looking at the software changes.

The requested software changes are rather minute to say the least. So hopefully they will jump on it because they just did a bunch changes to the other gaming system on the WER program.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:49 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'm glad to know that this is a more frequent problem than I thought. I think the problem is with the wording of the the rule. I've seen this a lot in other games. Casual english has a certain level of vagueness to it, and unfortunately people sometimes forget that game rules are more exact than casual english. Taking a casual approach, I can understand how they get the idea that gambit is scored per figure, but taking a more exact approach the rule should have some sort of 'for each' clause to be taken that way.

dnemiller wrote:

I honestly haven't brought it up yet because I'm there maybe once or twice a month and they get plenty of other worse things wrong. I don't want to burn any bridges so I'm trying to get these things corrected gradually, and with good backup reference.

My next goal is to correct them on the number of times force points can be spent when it isn't the force-user's turn. They think there isn't a limit.

I've been trying to come up with a more exact wording to suggest, but giving an example where one player has two or more figures in gambit might be more effective.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:15 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

oh well then yeah you definately have bigger fish to fry than just gambit.

Force Points was a tough one to understand back in the day when I dirst started playing too.

But yes I will look at addressing it. I cannot remember if I tried to clear up the wording or not in this upcoming update.

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9