logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: DCI Tourament in Nashville, Tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:40 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Ok, it is official, the tournament has been set at Next Level Games on January 16th @ 11:00 am. The 16th is the second Saturday of next month. I personally talked to the owner of the store and this is how the event will go. It will be a $10.00 fee to get in, we will have DCI membership cards for new event players. There will be prize support but we are still working out the finalize deal with that. The events address is:

TNLG - The Next Level Games
1000 Rivergate Parkway Suite 1300
Goodlettsville, TN. 37072

Their phone number is:
(615)673-0380

If you need anymore information, or have questions about the even, please feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Thanks a lot! I hope to see you all there!

Post subject: Re: DCI Tourament in Nashville, Tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:34 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

when working out your deal bryan for the prize support your entry fee should go to buying boosters.

Then you can bust the booster to give out.

That way he is making sales and you guys are getting prizes.

That is the normal that most stores use.

I will say $10 seems a bit high. if you have 4 players the store gets $40 bucks and you will probably only get 2 boosters.

I think you would be better to try and negotiate for $5 a head. This will probably give you the best oppritunity to have a weekly or bi-weekly game. If the entry fee is too high then folks will only come once in a while.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Dean, the way this is set up is the same way that we did it at collecticron in KY. Right now, I have been informed of about 15-20 people possible attending at this point. Thank you for the information though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I was speaking more of keeping a weekly game up. Which in the long run will add more Nashville area players which is what you really want to shoot for

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I agree with Dean that $10 seems kind of high. The most that stores normally charge is $5, and that money is used - as Dean said - to buy boosters that are then busted open and the singles picked over by the participants.

Coolecticon was a special event in which the store owner put up a case of product, plus additional prizes. $5 entry, even with 26 players, would probably not have covered it.

EDIT: Also, please keep in mind that those of us who have agreed to attend, our plans are tentative based on the weather. I won't be coming if it's snowing.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Yeah for a weekly entry fee $10 is high. For a special event like Coolecticon that had an absolute ton of prizes it wasnt bad. I think everyone is just saying you will get a better weekly/biweekly following if you charge less every week. We run free three weeks out of the month with no prizes because everyone here is broke. :) Also by the way what is the format? 150, 200?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Im local to Nashville and i agree.
5$ Ive also been told is the norm for a weekly or Bi weekly.
and it being January, alot of the surrounding areas are going to get blitzed by Ice and snow, so with that said, I would NOT expect as many people to show up as they did in Coolecticon.
heck, Im content if 10 show up.

+1 Awesome trade on gamers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

by the way Bryan some stores are willing to host events for free. I find this usually comes down to how much is being spent by your playing group.

If you want prizes of course you will need an entry fee. But heck some places do the week to week tourney for free or like $3.

It just depends on your players budgets and the amount of prize support.

I would say that if your entire playgroup is buying a case or two a month in boosters sales at retail prices it would not be crazy to expect the weekly tourney's to be free. You are already supporting the store well.

But if you find folks are kind of strapped and cannot afford boosters in your playgroup then look for a small entry fee that accomplishes the two biggest goals

1. A lively happy star wars playgroup

2. A lively happy store owner

Brian if you manage to do the 2 above things everything else will be gravy.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:13 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I might see if you can push the date back to early Feb. Early-Mid Jan is still when snow/Ice hits by going to Feb you still might get snow but the odds are better that it wont happen. When running an events its all about location,location weather, Numbers,Prize support,Weather,Location and Fun. You want to keep the cost down if you can. If the store can sell boosters at 10-15% during game days and 5 dollars for the tournament every Bi weekly or weekly works pretty good. Well what you want is about 2:1 for boosters and cheaper boosters on game day so the store will sell more in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:16 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

its funny you mention that Johnny, because theyre boosters are going for 12.99.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:12 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Ok, so here is the deal. I just called to touch base with the store owner, he will not be back in the shop until monday. I am going to talk to him about the issue with the entry fee, and what he wants to do as as far as prize support. Just FYI, I am sorry if the 10 dollars seems a little much, I am just going off of the event that I played at, and what they did, and I am also new to being a DCI, T.O. I will let every one know what is going on both on here, and on bloomilk by monday night, so keep posted for information.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:09 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

For big events $10 is about right. Thats what pastimes charges or other big events. But if you are going to do this every week 5 dollars is about right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jonnyb815 wrote:
I might see if you can push the date back to early Feb. Early-Mid Jan is still when snow/Ice hits by going to Feb you still might get snow but the odds are better that it wont happen.

Actually Jonny, this is about the worst idea possible. The odds are actually worse in this region, not better. Not to sound snooty or anything, but Jan 16 is a much better date selection than early February for this area. The icestorm that struck this year occurred on Jan. 31, and lasted til Feb. 8. Outside of that incident - which was a bit of a fluke - February brings the "harder" snows, meaning cold enough temperatures that it sticks for a full day or two. This is not Northwest Chicago area.

EDIT: Also, I don't recommend delaying the formation of what will hopefully be a long-running DCI venue for SWM. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to not only get it started but also to keep it going. Build while the momentum is there. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Im with boris on this, strike while Iron is Hot.
i think in almost every region, the weather is going to be worse in february, then in Jan.
being that this will be Nashvilles 1st event, even in January, i dont think the turn out will be huge, so for me, Im keeping my expectations low, and my acceptance high on this one. I will be happy if only 1 person shows up, to me, thats better then 0 people coming out, and makes me more grateful.
"Dont getta me wrongo....." I would love to see 40 people here, but the odds are what the odds are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:58 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

This event is meant to be fun no matter how many people show. I personally would like to see as many people as possible. The venue where I have this set up can hold up to 150 or more people. I know that this is the first event that nashville has had, and I am proud that I could get things set up for this along with other peoples help and suggestions. Everybody in the southeast region knows how the weather is in feb. here. I know that other places further north have it worse, but for the majority of people in this area, they flip out over 2 inches of snow... Either way, my biggest goal is to have a decent enough turn out so that the people that the GS will be more open to welcome us back, so that we can hold bigger, and better events in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

FYI: According to an update on Bloomilk, the price has jumped from $10 to $15, with still no assurances about what the prize support will be.

At this point, I will NOT be attending the event. If the person/people in charge of this get hit with a bucket of common sense, I might rethink it, but at this point I will enjoy either the day at home or at the LGS here in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Only way I'd pay $15 for an event is if I'm guaranteed a full booster to myself as prize support =o/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jason just posted an update on Bloomilk. The event is back down to $10 and he is judging.
Looks like I may be going after all.