logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Celebration V in Orlando
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:14 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

They just announced that Celebration V will be in Orlando!

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

Unfortunately, it's Aug. 12-15, which is only THREE DAYS after GenCon.

So...how will that impact SWM gaming at CV? Would there be any interest (to organize or play) after having spent the previous weekend overdosing on gaming? ;)

I think League and a couple tournaments would be great, but nothing too heavy. Because we've also got DragonCon two weeks after CV, and we know Chuck will have good SWM gaming there.

And what of Wizards? They had a big booth at CIV, but will they care about CV? (We won't mention their pathetic handling of the A&E "release" at that event.)

Post subject: Re: Celebration V in Orlando
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, this is great news for those in Florida and the South, you lucky dogs. I was secretly hoping for Chicago to win out (first the Olympics and now this, what a bunch of losers that town is! :P )

I knew either way I was going to have to chose between GENCON and Celebration, this decision however pretty much clinches it for me. It would cost me at least $1000 to fly and $500 just for tix to Celebration for me and my family. I was hoping to justify the costs if Orlando won by making a combo vacation out of it and go to Disney as well, but this is just too much money for the budget to handle. :cry: Looks like GENCON wins! On the flip side, I have some great ammo to show the wife how much money I am saving the family by choosing GENCON! :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Another SW Celebration, another week at home. :P
Seriously, this is good news for people in Florida, and people with a lot of money who love SW won't care that much, either. Personally, I would like to attend something like this but as long as its being held in places that are difficult to get to from where I live (which no, I don't live in Alaska or anything like that), I never will.

I'm not surprised that they scheduled it so close to GenCon. I suspect that was deliberate.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well I'm glad to see they finally made a decision, but I'm honestly not happy about the choice. And seeing as how I have family that lives 30 minutes from the convention center and I know someone at the host hotel that could probably ge. Me a killer rate, that's saying a lot.

August is the absolutely WORST time of the year to plan an event in Florida. In 2005 we had 4 hurricanes either hit or come near central Florida in August and September. There's just no way to plan for that kind of stuff. So what will they do if all of us spend thousands of dollars putting a trip together and then a storm crops up at the last minute and ruins everything??? I just can't believe they are taking that kind of chance.

On the other hand, I understand the choice I guess. Orlando is about as opposite as you can get from LA, and there's already been two other Celebrations in the mid west, so I think I understand the logic there.

This wil definitely make things tough for me though. Will probably mean that I will miss GenCon next year. :(

Post subject: Star Wars Celebration 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:10 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well it has been made official that it will be held in Orlando http://www.starwarscelebration.com/ I will be attending with my girlfriend. unfortunately i will not be able to go to gencon becasue it is being help on aug 12 -15 and gencon is a week earlier. but this is going to be fun.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:23 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

yea the hurrican season their is bad with timing but i already have the hotel booked and now just waiting for tickets to go on sale. will have to start a new tab for this. i am excited to go but this does mean i miss my first year going to gencon

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars Celebration 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

StriderRe80 wrote:
Well it has been made official that it will be held in Orlando http://www.starwarscelebration.com/ I will be attending with my girlfriend. unfortunately i will not be able to go to gencon becasue it is being help on aug 12 -15 and gencon is a week earlier. but this is going to be fun.

WTF Brian!!! C 5 over Gencon?????? wow you traitor!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

dnemiller wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

WTF Brian!!! C 5 over Gencon?????? wow you traitor!!!

gencon is held every year the 30th anniversary of ESB only happens once plus you can thank danielle for C5 as well becasue she wants to go to that and not gencon :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:14 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I was at C1 in Denver, it helped that I lived there. Way back in '99, it's Gencon for me this year. IF all goes well anyway

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:36 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I, like most of you all, am torn between Gen Con and Celebration 5. Here's the pros and cons for Gen Con versus Celebration V:

Gen Con is not as expensive (I'm not sure what Gen Con will be charging this year for a four-day badge, though, at this time). Celebration V is charging $120.00 for a four-day badge. Plus airline, hotel, and car rental on top of that.

Indy is within driving distance for the most of you.

The weather in Florida in August will hot ("Africa hot. I don't think Tarzan could stand this kinda hot."). It may rain in Indy, but no matter where you go (for the most part), you'll be out of the weather. . . . . And everything in Indy is in walking distance.

If you get bored, however unlikely, at C5, there's Disney.

. . . . I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

StriderRe80 wrote:
yea the hurrican season their is bad with timing but i already have the hotel booked and now just waiting for tickets to go on sale. will have to start a new tab for this. i am excited to go but this does mean i miss my first year going to gencon

Point LFL.

I suspect attendance at GenCon will be down quite a bit this year because of this, and it will be hard to convince me this isn't what LFL was after when they set the date.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:58 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I posted this in another (similar) forum:

I, like most of you all, am torn between Gen Con and Celebration 5. Here's the pros and cons for Gen Con versus Celebration V:

Gen Con is not as expensive (I'm not sure what Gen Con will be charging this year for a four-day badge, though, at this time). Celebration V is charging $120.00 for a four-day badge. Plus airline, hotel, and car rental on top of that.

Indy is within driving distance for the most of you.

The weather in Florida in August will hot ("Africa hot. I don't think Tarzan could stand this kinda hot."). It may rain in Indy, but no matter where you go (for the most part), you'll be out of the weather. . . . . And everything in Indy is in walking distance.

If you get bored, however unlikely, at C5, there's Disney.

It is Celebration V.

. . . . I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.[list=][/list]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I will say that my family has been planning a trip to Disney for years. Just waiting for the boy to get old enough to remember everything. If the wife says she wants to see Mickey this year it would be hard to not go the week of C5. (I had always imagined it would be during SW weekends in the Spring) If this is the case then no way could I go to GENCON. :( If I do go to C5 it would be for only a day or two as an adjunct to Disney and I would definitely be focused on a day that had a SWM event at C5. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

SteveSpikes wrote:

Honestly, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. From what I remember of the Orlando Convention Center, it's connected to the surrounding hotels much like the Indy center is, so shouldn't have to go outside all that much either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL @ Dean.

Looks like I'll be making the same decision this year though. I just can't see doing both GenCon and C5, but will probably depend on how well I can prepare for C5 before hand. Plus, with driving all the way to Florida, where both my family and my in-laws live, it makes more sense for us to make a longer vacation out of it and visit other people while down there too, which means probably travelling down the weekend before C5. I hate LFL for choosing that weekend. :(

Oh, and I'm going to lock/merge this thread with the other one in the DCI/Competitive area.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I went to C3, and honestly, wasn't that impressed. It was pretty much a, "well that was ok" kinda feeling for me. I understand those that have never been, but I will offer you this. Giving up Gencon for it (without other considerations such as family, etc) would be a mistake. Gencon is way more fun. (Edit - In terms of playing minis specifically).

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:51 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Well if it wasnt for C3 I woudnt be in to Minis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, judging the others by the merits of C3 is kind of tough, honestly. I've been to 2, 3, and 4, and of those 3, C3 was by far the worst. The weather was horrible, the crowds were insane, and not only did the con organizers not learn from their mistakes at C2, they made worse ones (i.e. Celebration Store line). It was a decent convention overall, but I enjoyed myself at C2 and C4 much more. In addition, the Orlando convention center is a good deal larger than the Indy center. Not sure whether they'll utilize the entire thing or not, but we'll see. Sure, if you're planning to attend a convention for only the SWMs aspect of things, then GenCon is going to be a ton better. But Celebration will have a LOT of other things going on, and there's pretty much never any trouble finding something to do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:19 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Speaking as a Floridian, you can't even put "hurricane season" in your thoughts for anything other than maaaaybe going on a cruise. For the most part, it just doesn't happen. Yes, there are storms, but this year, for example, we got nothing here. However, we did have three blow through the center of the state a few years back. So, you never know when or if. I just wouldn't concern myself with hurricanes as "a big issue."

The heat, that's a totally different issue. You WILL be hot. No question about it. Anytime you step outside, you'll sweat. No way to avoid it. But the heat in Florida is like the cold up north. You just don't go outside if you can avoid it. Everyplace has plenty of air conditioning.

The bad news is that there aren't skywalks like in Indy. If you're at a hotel within walking distance, that distance will be outdoors. You can take the I-Ride shuttle (which is cheap and convenient), but you'll be hot waiting for it.

On a personal note, if CV *wasn't* in Orlando, I doubt I'd be going. I did CIII and CIV. Neither impressed me. The crowds at CIII were just stupid-huge and there was a serious lack of activities at CIV.

I'm still planning on doing GenCon, but (as with everything) it will depend on finances/costs. I still have DragonCon to consider in all of this and Dragon takes priority over CV or GenCon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Xffan_2000 wrote:
Speaking as a Floridian, you can't even put "hurricane season" in your thoughts for anything other than maaaaybe going on a cruise. For the most part, it just doesn't happen. Yes, there are storms, but this year, for example, we got nothing here. However, we did have three blow through the center of the state a few years back. So, you never know when or if. I just wouldn't concern myself with hurricanes as "a big issue."

Yeah, I should probably clarify my earlier comments by saying that the possibilities of hurricanes will by no means keep me from going to the convention. That doesn't bother me at all. It just sort of surprised me that LFL and the convention organizer would pick those dates with the potential of a hurricane to interfere with things. Just seems like the late April or Memorial Day weekend dates for previous Celebrations would have made more sense.