Panaka
Captain Rex
R7
Ugnaught x2
Mouse Droid
Mas Amedda
Gran Raider
Camaasi Noble

There were 4 rounds of Swiss followed by a cut to top 4. I came in 6th place with a 3-1 record. The only game I lost was round 1, when I simply got overconfident about my lead and lost way too many points in the final two rounds. If we had played the final round - the game went to time - I would have won. I totally had it in the bag. Of the 4 games, Flobi NEVER died. He never even came close to dying, and even in the games I didn't lose Qui-Gon he was never in any real danger.

SSM is broken. Period.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: My Problem with Soresu Style Mastery
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
My daughter went 2 and two this past friday with flobi in her squad, and one of those wins was pure SSM

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:12 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

There is a direct counter to Soresu Style Mastery.

Makashi Style Mastery: (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. Shii-Cho, Soresu, Ataru, and Niman styles cannot be used against this character.)

I think we have all forgot this... Not saying that it only being accessible to 1 piece, Count Dooku of Serrano, is any help, or that he can kill obi singlehandedly, I'm just reminding us all that there is a counter, so maybe we just need more pieces with Makashi.

Or even just change Soresu Style Mastery to where it is only available for use when being the target of an attack by non adjacent enemies. That would dumb down its effectiveness in my opinion..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Every time i have played Flobi, i have won.
and that is only because my opponent loves to run him out there, thinking he is going to make every soresu and mettle save.
75% of the time, he does.
BUT, come the end of the 2nd, beginning of the 3rd inish, Flobi has 1-2 FPs left, and has about 80 HP (direct damage).
Yes, Soresu, in my opinion, brings in a huge luck factor, and with mettle, it makes it even more annoying.
Do i have a problem with Flobi?
I do.
its his mettle, not the soresu that irks me.
"go ahead, make yer save 11, dont take any damage, blah blah blah, lol, you missed!!...wait! you have mettle!? you need a 7 or better now? :evil: "
mettle and soresu is just retarded. anyone who has SSM should not have mettle, period.
I told my buddy that if he ran Flobi with Qui Gon, he could potentially make A Legal GOWK. (he loves the GOWK)
he did, he ran qui gon out to do a little damage, and got killed like he was supposed too.
Flobi then had 11 FPs, SSM, MoTF2 and mettle.
No Knight speed, no push.
all he spent FPs on was rerolling mettle for SSM, he needed 3s all day.
i would lock a door, give him inish, open the door, shoot a few times, make him spend those FPs, then lock the door again.
Mate Feed Kill repeat.
would you believe that as soon as he ran outta FPs, he was rolling 1,2 and 3s for the rest of his SSM saves.
the luck factor, but lucky for me.
if it had gone the other way, i would have been screwed in Who-ville.
the people wanted a new GOWK (for some cheap reason), and they got him.
i dont know how long it took to ban GOWK, but i dont see Flobi getting the same treatment.
it sucks that at a tournement, you dont know if you will be facing him or not. if you arent prepared for him, he will ruin yer whole day.

+1 Awesome trade on gamers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sith_Asassyn wrote:

Makashi Style Mastery: (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. Shii-Cho, Soresu, Ataru, and Niman styles cannot be used against this character.)

I think we have all forgot this... Not saying that it only being accessible to 1 piece, Count Dooku of Serrano, is any help, or that he can kill obi singlehandedly, I'm just reminding us all that there is a counter, so maybe we just need more pieces with Makashi.

Or even just change Soresu Style Mastery to where it is only available for use when being the target of an attack by non adjacent enemies. That would dumb down its effectiveness in my opinion..

I agree more pieces with Makashi would help a bit. If he was just SSMObi instead of FlObi it would be much easier :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Sith_Asassyn wrote:

Yeah! A direct counter piece! An over-costed, no Renewal, limited utility, will get shot to death quickly and easily counter piece! [/sarcasm]

DoS is not a good counter - he doesn't do enough damage (although Loathsome helps quite a bit) and he is too easily killed by GOWK's support to act as a true counter. I've tried to make DoS a good piece, but if you end up facing anything that's not melee, then he just doesn't pay out. If he had renewal he'd be more worth it, but as it is he simply costs too much and dies too quickly to shooters.

What about other counters? Direct damage, mostly from Force Push 4. Two more figures!

And....that's about all of the direct counters I can think of. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

MandaloreDaBeast wrote:
I told my buddy that if he ran Flobi with Qui Gon, he could potentially make A Legal GOWK. (he loves the GOWK)
he did, he ran qui gon out to do a little damage, and got killed like he was supposed too.
Flobi then had 11 FPs, SSM, MoTF2 and mettle.
No Knight speed, no push.
all he spent FPs on was rerolling mettle for SSM, he needed 3s all day.

Could I please make a humble play suggestion: don't kill Qui-Gon JM first. He really can't do a lot of damage - 40 max a turn, sans criticals.

Don't get me wrong - Qui-Gon JM is one of my absolute favorite Republic pieces. But if you play carefully, he can't do enough damage to justify giving the Force Spirit to another character.

Or, you could just Force Defense/Absorb the Force Spirit. I both love to pull off that trick, and I hate when it happens to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

flames, lightning.
i used Jango BH when GOWK went through every FP, he had not activated yet. Missiles 20 (missed the save), and then Flames, because i used Tarpals. 40 damage.
Dooku is not the answer to SSM/Mettle.
make yer Opp with SSM go through all of their FPs, its easy to do to Flobi.
Gowk has renewal, yea, but he will have only so many FPs anyway. Pound the hell out of him to make him save, alot.
he cant make every SSM save, he will eventually reroll mettle at some point.
some people are over confident with Flobi, and that is what makes you the opponent, have as the advantage.
now im not saying that anyone should bring a knife to a gun fight (I.E not using storm troopers or characters that have low attack and hit low.), you have to be able to ensure that you will hit. so you can make him reroll. Ala jango BH, BFBH, Dengar, Cad etc. just to name fringe, cuz thats what i use with Imps most of the time....so opportunist is also in effect.
Jango BH with BH, Jedi Hunter and Opportunist, Flames (direct damage) and Sniper is just insane.
Same goes for Cad, but expect Cad to die at some point. he doesnt have all "Those wonderful Toys".
thats how i beat SSM anyways.
Pound 'em,
Spend 'em,
Kill 'em.

+1 Awesome trade on gamers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:17 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

i solve the SSM the same way i do for all my problems with............ Lightning :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:19 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
cultofgreedo wrote:
i solve the SSM the same way i do for all my problems with............ Lightning :lol:

What kind of pudding would you like with that?

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:15 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

[quote="Ruhk"]

I'm all in favour of a change in the definition. Let SSM become "all non-melee attacks".[quote]

boy did you hit the nail righ ton the head with this. are you the reason it is now this way :P

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Last edited by StriderRe80 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL, quite a few of us suggested that change actually. I know I did near the very beginning of things. Probably before the first GOWK errata even came out. All it would take is adding 4 characters to the ability definition:

Original definition in Clone Wars rule book:
When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11.

New definition per Floor Rules:
When hit by a non-melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Holy Moley I was right! Go me! (and everyone else who was correct!)

but wow. GWOK is back! exciting!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY