logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: DiceDojo GaW midnight release tourney (10/20)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

We had 12 people show up to this last minute midnight release. We were basically informed the morning of the monday this would happen. As a result i think the 12 was a pretty good result.
There was a decent mixture of squads played. Winner of the event was Timmerb123 with his power combo of

FLobi
Assajj
Artf trooper
Aqualish tech
r7

i pulled a ragtag collection of grunts captained by Cody and Whorm. Whorms CE was easily MVP doubling the output of almost my entire squad.

Whorm
Cody
2 x magnaguard
Lab droid
501st CT
CT with nightvision
AT-TE pilot
Rodian Trader
R7
BD

The idea was to have the clones lay down the smack while the manga and lab droids as stunning intereference. All i had left were 2 commando droids and a aqualish tech. I might have faired better getting the aqualish instead of the rodian as he did nothing more than add comic relief.
The lab droid came through twice in 4 games and they were quite big contributions so I side with he was a better choice than a commando droid (who i didn't add mainly because he has twin already).
I picked the Jedi temple for decent doors, reasonable shooting lanes and melee approachment.
It worked, but mainly due to some appauling rolls by my opponents in the 2nd and 3rd round.

1st match up
General Skywalker
Hondo
B3
senate guard
pirate
2 x 501st

I was on the right and advanaced along the bottom. He advanced most of his force across the top but split Anakin from the rest of the team. I was very fearful of the B3 with its DR, missiles and large volume of attacks so i generally used doors to hinder it as much as possible.
Anakin carved up one of my magnas but not before he had spent a lot of force defending, perhaps 1 or 2 shots got through. I then unloaded on Anakin wounding him. His 501ts dmged and almost killed my magna guard but he missed the last attack leaving it at 20 which was promptly healed up. Cody picked off one 501st while the nightvision trooper (NVT) missed the other. The B3 annihalated my rodian who had got separated from my squad. The rest of the crew layed into anakin. Next round Anakin went down and Hondo missed a shot on Cody (needed a 6 for the kill, rolled a 4). With init Hondo died without getting much play. 501st dropped and i had every one except one or two figs layed into the B3. The magna guard with his electro staff did most of the dmg.
1-0

2nd match was against Lexx
Rex
Admiral Yularen
2 x Artf
clone pilot
r7
Magna artillarist
battle droid

i might have got his squad slightly wrong but the main factors were greater mobile Rex, Yularen who gives opportunist to the clones, his override and the artilerist.
We were on the temple again. It started off much like before with my whole force moving along the bottom of the right hand side. His forces were split with the clones and Yularen running along the top and his droids on the bottom. He kept his artillarist in a position that caused issues with my positioning while i tried to get shots on his stealthers with my accurate shooters. He moved his artillarist to a place i could get shots and decided to put the r7 as the 'meat' shield to open the 2 doors. I put perhaps 20 on the artillerist with the 501st but missed all the stealther with cody and the NVT. Lexx won the init and tried to off the r7 and rolled 2 3's which probably swung the game in my favour as i was then able to leave him unactivated. I finished his artillerist and then picked off a artf with cody. The r7 took some dmg which i reparied and then started running my magnas forward. Rex smoked a magna after the init and backed up. a magna who had been given grenades by the rodian tried for a 3 prong grenade on rex, pilot and the admiral but all saved. Whorm moved up to shield.
I won init an put 20 on Rex with the Magna with the Ig only for rex to avoid the stun. Rex smoked the magna and backed up. I finished the remaining clones and moved whrom and the 501st to a position where there were no cover shots on init and where yulern did not get recon. i won init and let rip with the 501st hitting 3 out of 4 shots to kill rex. Lexx coneeded shortly after.
2-0

i then faced Ted with
Flobi
Assajj
clone with RB
BD

again on Yavin temple, and again on the right.
I took a more direct approach this time coming straight donw the center while Ted split up top and bottom.
Assajj made the first strike coming through the middle 2 doors and carving up my repair droid. I unloaded on her being careful to avoid a quint from the CtRB. she took perhaps 60 before Obi jumped in the fray and started hacking. I locked assajj out and concentrated on Obi missing about 90% of my shots. About 20-40 dmg got through before the r7 died.
Assajj then took a sextuple on my magna and missed 5 of the 6 needing 8s. I put 20 on assajj before she activated and she chose to break to kill loathsome. unfortunately, it was at that point that my rolls came around and she died leaving my force to lay into obi. Obi died eventualy after running out of force.
3-0

Last game was against Tim on the trainstation
FLobi
Assajj
Artf trooper
Aqualish tech
r7

this match exemplified my tired state as i made many errors and fell into a neat little trap Tim set. I was concerned mainly with getting rid of the ARTF. moving off the back rank i moved loathsome too far ahead into the doorway of the 2nd train. tim moved forwar across the top platform. He moved his ARTF into a position where my r7 could open 2 doors and let cody shoot it and I took it immedeately rather than sitting on it, thus springing Tims trap. Loathsome was now 17 away from assajj and 14 away from Flobi and got based by both (kind of spaces master speed). I broke foolishly forgetting rage and luckily tim missed his 2nd swipe with assajj leaving whorm with 20 left. I then unloaded onto assajj leaving her with 40 left. the init would seal the fate of the game. He won it and killed my r7, my 501st and wounded a magna guard. FLobi had suprised moved and based whorm. So i finished assajj with a magna and watched Flobi slice up whorm. The rest of the game was mop up. I finished off his droid and the aqualish but I failed to do any dmg to Flobi, not because of soresu but because my 6 and 8 attack scores failed to hit.
3-1

came 2nd got 3 boosters and pulled Hondo, ashoka and Rex.

Goodtimes :D

Post subject: Re: DiceDojo GaW midnight release tourney (10/20)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice!! I'd be glad if we could get 12 people total at our LGS lately, let alone for a last minute Release tourney. Sounds like you guys had fun. That's crazy that you ended up with two of the Flobi/Assaj combos, and yet the games were still relatively close. Glad to hear that the rest of the pieces in the set can deal with those monsters to some degree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Deri do you have 2 hondos now?

I Took 4th with
Kit
LR droid
R7
Clone Pilot
ARF Trooper
Sen. Commando
A.Tech
Battle droid

I used the R7 a lot for override. Moved kit at the end of the rounds to setup a LR shoot but closing the door at the end of the turn Recon helped with this. The Commando with base 30 helped and Range finder and combine fire helped hit things. The pilot with evade helped out a lot. Kit is pretty sweet in sealed with shooters and override backing him up.

First round Vs Tim
We played on RAvaged Base. Round 3 we both were fighting in the middle on the right side. I won a key init Asajj was at 60 thought she was a 21 but she was a 19. So I would of killed here with my 4 attacks with the reroll. But I thought she was a 21 def so I only hit 2 of 5 one was a reroll. So that was really the game when I couldnt kill Her. I just ran from obi but in the end Tim won since I cant read cards hahaha.
Round 2
Played vs GG SOTJ and 2 LR on Hoth
I was able to take out the 2 LR but lost my commando and LR. So it was my filler kit vs GG in the end. I was able to pull it out.
Round 3
Played on Ravaged Base. He had the repeater,the missile guy commando droid asajj. I was able to use suprise move and the R7 with droids. On time I moved kit to open a droid at the end of the round had the ARF in los for recon won init. Moved kit away from the droid. Moved the LR 4 shoot 4 times 3 of the 4 I combined fire. At the end of the LRs turn the door closed.
Round 4 vs Lex
He had a lot of clones rex r7 and Admiral Yularen
He had the game in the bag after he took out my R7. But he gave me los with to rex with the LR and rex had not gone. So i moved the LR needing 14's got a 17 18 16 for 60. Moved kit 8 for the kill. I was with in 6 of his guys at this point so kit was at like 50 hp but a 24 in cover. Kit lived with 10 and some how I won.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Glad to hear that the rest of the pieces in the set can deal with those monsters to some degree.

Well, i think my squad is deceptively tough.

Whorm is the best commander to be introduced since Reikeen IMO. My attacks were only 6s and 8s but the sheer volume of shots means that they hit at a decent rate even when you need 16's.
Cody is one of 3 figures in the set with accurate. His CE is very situational (i think i only got 2 flurries the whole night) but the accurate shot is huge for picking off some trouble pieces like the r7s and the ARTFs.
I pulled an r7 which was probably the difference when playing ted and losing to Tim. Ted didn't have override which tipped things in my favor. Tim had override which gave the advantage back.

I had 11 activations which was really hard for people to deal with.

Bill had an interesting squad. Senate guards, Admiral Yulaern (i read this like you-learn; intentional?), the trashcan ambush droid, a clone seargant and some other things. He managed to put a lot of dmg on Flobi and finished Assajj but assajj did too much dmg and Bill couldn't finish the deal as Tim kept retreating to his stealth shooter who Bill couldn't target.

The Assajj/Flobi combo is brutal but there are some combos that could cause great problems. Anakin and Whorm with a lot of activations could be a really rough game for FLObi and assajj. Flobi and Whorm is another tough one. Yulaern and Whorm could be tough with the right support.
Rex and Whorm could make a clone team pretty tough with their extra movement.

The grunts are pretty good in the set but they really need the uniques to make anything out of them. When Whorm died i really lost all chance of winning.

jonnyb815 wrote:
Deri do you have 2 hondos now?

I do but i've commited to a trade with one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Admiral Yulaern (i read this like you-learn; intentional?)

Haha, well, it makes more sense when you spell it right: Yularen :)

It's pronounced You-lar-in. Interesting tid-bit for those who may not know, is that while Yularen seems new to many people, he was actually one of the Moffssitting at the table in A New Hope when Vader chokes the other Moff and Tarkin tells Vader to let him go. His name isn't mentioned in the movie, but it is in the novel I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:06 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

fingersandteeth wrote:
Bill had an interesting squad. Senate guards, Admiral Yulaern (i read this like you-learn; intentional?), the trashcan ambush droid, a clone seargant and some other things. He managed to put a lot of dmg on Flobi and finished Assajj but assajj did too much dmg and Bill couldn't finish the deal as Tim kept retreating to his stealth shooter who Bill couldn't target.

To be fair, before you guys got there, I put a full round of I think 4 attacks from trashcan (needed 18s) including a crit, 6 attacks from the Senates, needing 9s, and 2 from the 501st needing 10s into Obi in one round. I landed 2 hits through SSM, and I actually hit more than 50% of my shots. At the end game, I still had I think 7 kill shots that SSM ate up on Obi. I was very close. All Assaj did was eat up my trashcan before she died, but it had already put 30-60 on her I think. And it could barely hit Obi anyway.

I really should have won that game, but I just couldn't get the last 30 off Obi. That's all it came down to. I didn't figure out the total damage he was able to negate, but there were at least 2 crits (droid for 50, and a commando for 70), as well as at least 10 shots that hit. I only managed to get 3 hits through SSM, and he used I think 2 FPs for Surprise move. It was still a lot of fun as always, even if that game was a little frustrating (which was expected given Obi).

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LoboStele wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Admiral Yulaern (i read this like you-learn; intentional?)

Haha, well, it makes more sense when you spell it right: Yularen :)

It's pronounced You-lar-in. Interesting tid-bit for those who may not know, is that while Yularen seems new to many people, he was actually one of the Moffssitting at the table in A New Hope when Vader chokes the other Moff and Tarkin tells Vader to let him go. His name isn't mentioned in the movie, but it is in the novel I believe.

And just to show my geekness here is the action figures in this set- He's the dude in white ;)

Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Motti, General Tagge, Chief Bast, Officer Cass, and Colonel Wulff Yularen

Oh and a question about the tourny did it seem like having UC override available was a big problem?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:43 am 

Boba52 wrote:
Oh and a question about the tourny did it seem like having UC override available was a big problem?

It's always a bit unfair, but it isn't a major issue. No different than the day the ERC was released. If you don't have override, you pick a wide open map. If you do, you pick one with doors. But usually, it won't matter more than 1 game at most, and even then, they won't have the other tricks to really make it unfair that a constructed game might have.

So no, it wasn't an issue for me. With that said, I still think override should be banned from sealed :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

billiv15 wrote:
Boba52 wrote:

It's always a bit unfair, but it isn't a major issue. No different than the day the ERC was released. If you don't have override, you pick a wide open map. If you do, you pick one with doors. But usually, it won't matter more than 1 game at most, and even then, they won't have the other tricks to really make it unfair that a constructed game might have.

So no, it wasn't an issue for me. With that said, I still think override should be banned from sealed :)

well I disagree door tricks are what won my games. Suprise move and override are what helped me the most keep my LR droid and senate commando alive.