logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Republic Commandos - Delta Squad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:43 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

We gave Boss Recon. We considered Disruptive, but gave that to Walon Vau instead.

We gave Fixer Override instead of Door Gimmick. The Elite Rebel Commando has the ability, so why would a specially trained RC not know it?!

A new ability here. Shaped Charge. Since Dark Lady can Force walk through walls, which is pretty dang ridiculous, we figured demolitions experts might be able to blow open a wall section. Let me know what you think of the wording.

Sev's a sniper. So we gave him Sniper. Duh.

Otherwise all the RCs got a bump in stats commensurate with a Mandalorian Scout, give or take. They may be undercosted a bit, but only by a few points. We'll adjust them once we see what the concensus is.

The addition of the Katarn Armor makes up for the Delta Squad SA the generic RC Training Sergeant give them.

We also made them Unique. They're characters. I know there were lots of RC squads with clones who had some of the same names, and I know the squads were broken down into basic ability sets. Our solution was to produce Omega Squad, as well, although with matte black armor in the artwork. They'll be posted soon, but you'll see that Boss & Niner have the same stats, Sev & Fi have the same stats, etc. We figure it'll allow for two snipers, or two demolitionists...you get the idea.

Anyway, let us know what you think.

Skirata, Vau, and Delta Squad are available in a 6 card layout under our main thread. You can find our layouts here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

Darth Chaos
The Dark Side
Sarasota, FL 34236

Post subject: Re: Republic Commandos - Delta Squad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
You should have boosted the Attack too, those clones have the darndest time shooting with +9. It just doesn't cut it anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, if you start boosting their stats more, I think they'll definitely be undercosted. Making them Unique helps offset the cost difference a little. But, take Sev for instance. Only 2 points more than the old version. But he gains 30 more HP, 1 Defense, Katarn Armor, and Sniper. That's a big boost for 2 points. Granted, I'd say the old RCs are a little under powered compared to today's pieces anyways, so it's probably OK.

I would be worried about someone runinng the RCTS with these guys though. Shields 2 on top of 60 HP could be REALLY frustrating.

What happened to Scorch's Grenades 10? :P I really like Shaped Charge. The wording may need a tad of tweaking. Instead of "Designate 1 adjacent wall segment as open" (since "open" really isn't a defined word in the SWM game), you might say something more like "Remove wall terrain line along 1 square". I don't know, not sure I like that either. Could maybe make it more like Dark Woman's ability...hmm....how about: "Replaces turn: allied characters, including Scorch, ignore walls adjacent to this character and all squares adjacent to this character provide cover until the end of his next turn."

I would definitely try to add a little flavor to the Omega guys though. They aren't just cookiee cutter copies of Delta squad. Should have some similar abilities, but not completely. I.e., both Fi and Atin share Sniper duties throughout the book series. Fi is more of the communications person, but Atin is more of the slicer, so they kind of split Fixer's duties there. Darman and Scorch are pretty similar I guess, as are Boss/Niner. It's really Fi and Atin that don't match up with Sev and Fixer quite the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I play-tested the RC's tonight with Skirata and Vau. We're pretty sure they're under-costed by at least 4 points a piece as they are now.

We're considering removing Katarn Armor. It's a cool SA, but it kind of makes them too powerful for the 20 point cost range, especially considering they have stealth and we already bumped their defense to 18. Also, it would be REALLY hard to kill them if you teamed them with the RC Training Sergeant, who gives them Delta Shields 2. In essence, they'd get their original armor save, then two additional saves to avoid whatever damage actually got through. So a character who does 20 damage MIGHT be able to hurt them eventually.

If we remove Katarn armor and bump Boss, Sev, and Scorch up 2 points, and bump up Fixer 1 point, would that make them more balanced? Or would they still be undercosted?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow I love the cards. Shaped Charge me likes as well. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:27 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yeah, I would agree, Katarn Armor with all of the other SA's is a little over the top, the attack bonus is welcome, I have played many a game in which RC's can't hit a B3, which can get nasty once they get close

"Jackson: What's this?
Carter: This is ethylpropyl...
Jackson: Which is?
Carter: Nerve gas.
Jackson: Okay. Putting that back."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Ok, finished versions of the Republic Commandos (Delta and Omega) are available here:

The Dark Side's Custom Minis!