logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:48 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The 88 point figure *might* be the Redeemed Apprentice :P

After all, pictures show that he's capable of force pushing people through walls and columns and whatnot.....I'm not much of a SW junkie, but all the Force pushes I've seen aren't quite as brutal as that XD

Anyway, whats with all the Revan hate? I did some research on him, and he sounds pretty cool....like one of those typical anime characters that become "good" after treading the path of evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:29 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I don't have anything against Revan, but a mini of Revan I would despise. I've said this before, the Custom Mini of Darh Revan (in the Lost Twenty) was a train-wreck that didn't represent Revan at all.

/rant

Have you read the Thrawn books? Nobody is a greater strategist than Thrawn.

I hate characters who go good at the end. Go evil and stay evil, or don't go evil at all. Those "evil" people who go good at the end were never truely evil.

/mega rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fang wrote:
Have you read the Thrawn books? Nobody is a greater strategist than Thrawn.

Actually I have read the Thrawn series 3 times. And no, Thrawn was not a better strategist. Thrawn underestimated the Noghri's loyalty to Vader over everything else, and he undervalued them as a race.

Revan was a very, very careful planner. I think based on your comments of Revan-hate here that you are blind to the objectivity.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:59 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boris wrote:
Actually I have read the Thrawn series 3 times. And no, Thrawn was not a better strategist. Thrawn underestimated the Noghri's loyalty to Vader over everything else, and he undervalued them as a race.

Revan was a very, very careful planner.

I loved Canderous' speech on Revan if you kept talking to him. If you play as a female, it's extra funny as the text for Canderous uses 'Revan' as the pronoun, while the actor speaking continually says "...his tactics, his strategies... he would evacuate the defenses of whole worlds..."

Clearly Revan was a brilliant strategist. Of this the cannon leaves little doubt.

Should Revan have MT? Yes.
Will Revan have MT? Probably.
Do I have a problem with it? No, but I'd like to see a little more creativity. Personally, I think he should have both MT and NTMTO, thereby giving him total initiative domination. BUT- something else designed to represent brilliant tactical strategy would be most welcome as well.

Brilliant Strategist- Enemy special abilities that modify initiative don't function. After initiative is determined, all allied characters may move up to 4 squares. This movement does not provoke attacks off opportunity.

That would definately throw some kinks into an opponent's plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:03 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

(Brilliant Strategist) this is fine; having both MT and NTMTO is waaaay to much. It's also kind of a cop out stats wise. I'd like to see something original as well.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:22 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Grand Admiral Thrawn didn't anticipate betrayal from his loyal bodyguard.
Darth Revan didn't anticipate betrayal from his loyal apprentice.
They both failed to see that coming...and Revan had the Force!

I don't think Revan should have either of those abilities. Just a beast of a warrior with no CE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

If Revan has master tactician, then that will be a great boost for the Sith, though they don't have many cunning attack figs, it would still help in many situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Besides my belief that I don't think Revan deserves Master Tactition, I also don't want to see it from a gameplay perspective. One fig with it is enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Squid89 wrote:
What's coming next week? Two dudes from the same cool place K-3P0 worked. One already has a fur coat, the other guy sticks to his white duds."

I think it might be Chewbacca of Hoth and the At-At Driver. Not as exciting as an 88 point piece, but maybe something else to look forward to.

Maybe the guy in the white duds is the Trooper on Tauntaun. I am curious to see his stats.

Or it could be the ATAT Driver. I hope it is not the Snowtrooper. We already know his stats from previous releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:08 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

In the spirit of all those who said the Dactyllian Sucks and are comparing the Uggernaught to it, I present to you:

Uggernaught Swapping - a Version of the Old Dactyllian Swapping squad I used to run. Try to tell me this sucks :)

Thrawn/Mas 45
Veers 21
Jabba Crime Lord 15
Stormtrooper Commander 15
Death Star Gunner 11
Uggernaught X2 68
Stormy X3 15
Ugo X3 9

199pts 14 activations.

Two Furious Assaulting Accurate shooting Uggernaughts with cunning and +10 dmg from the SC.

So, I get 12 square twin furious at +13s for 40 each shot at every target I can see. Sure, rigid and huge hurts, but with those attacks, and the Gunner's accurate splash I should be able to clear what I need to. This thing will almost always have cover so the 19/23d with a 100hps is as good as a jedi of comparable cost.

And I get +9s for 30 without cunning attack - same as Han Scoundrel just without the fps to reroll.

Options, pop in Lando HoT for mobile instead of the Gunner or SC.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:27 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

billiv15 wrote:
In the spirit of all those who said the Dactyllian Sucks and are comparing the Uggernaught to it, I present to you:

Uggernaught Swapping - a Version of the Old Dactyllian Swapping squad I used to run. Try to tell me this sucks :)

Thrawn/Mas 45
Veers 21
Jabba Crime Lord 15
Stormtrooper Commander 15
Death Star Gunner 11
Uggernaught X2 68
Stormy X3 15
Ugo X3 9

199pts 14 activations.

Two Furious Assaulting Accurate shooting Uggernaughts with cunning and +10 dmg from the SC.

So, I get 12 square twin furious at +13s for 40 each shot at every target I can see. Sure, rigid and huge hurts, but with those attacks, and the Gunner's accurate splash I should be able to clear what I need to. This thing will almost always have cover so the 19/23d with a 100hps is as good as a jedi of comparable cost.

And I get +9s for 30 without cunning attack - same as Han Scoundrel just without the fps to reroll.

nice, I forgot about jabba crime lord's ce, but jabba's great with the uggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:35 pm 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
In the spirit of all those who said the Dactyllian Sucks and are comparing the Uggernaught to it

I hope you know that when I state the Bird Thingy sucks, and when I compare the two, I do it only on sheer randomness of choosing that piece over something more ... historical? likable? known? whatever you want to call it. The uggernaught is a *new* piece, one that has no background, just made up on this spot. That is why I hate the piece, that is why it remains in my sig on the other forum... it just seems that WotC is running out of pieces to make.

Tactics wise, I think the uggernaught is vastly more useful then a host of other huges. Nickname challenged those spouting 'powercreep' after seeing this piece... and I think it shows nicely. Compare this piece with the Barc or Basilisk, you tell me which is more useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:48 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Isn't the Uggernaught from the FU video game? Its not like somebody at WOTC just randomly decided to stick a couple ugnaughts on a mechwarrior mini. For all we know LA might have gave them a list of things in the game they could, couldn't, or had to make minis of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:53 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Well part of The Force Unleashed (the video game) is set to take place on Raxus Prime. Hence the Junk Golem, maybe Uggernaught, and other Uggos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:11 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

billiv15 wrote:

Bill, I love the squad idea, but Lando, HoT will only really hurt. You don't want the Uggers to have Mobile, b/c it would just be obsoleted by Furious, unless you can only see one target from no matter where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:39 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

That squad is kind of brutal since the scrubs will be wiped out within round 2. No bounty hunter or JH bonuses against that D either. Might be fun...

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:21 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

man the ugernaught looks so cool.
The medic isn't half bad either, it's cheap and can heal stuff. What else do you need?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

masterjudge wrote:
man the ugernaught looks so cool.
The medic isn't half bad either, it's cheap and can heal stuff. What else do you need?

Yeah it does!

I am just thinking about the same strategy as my Swiss Army Knife squad with Uggernaughts instead of Storm Commandos.

Thrawn/Mas, Jabba, Veers, Tarkin, 2x Uggernauts will do nicely as a base. :D

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:48 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Tactics wise, I think the uggernaught is vastly more useful then a host of other huges. Nickname challenged those spouting 'powercreep' after seeing this piece... and I think it shows nicely. Compare this piece with the Barc or Basilisk, you tell me which is more useful.

Actually it was a question, not a challenge. I didn't know if you would consider it powercreep or not.

People are putting in nearly 100 points of commanders to make it good. I think that says a lot.

When you include Mandalore with the Basilisk it's pretty nifty as well. Both will pale against huge beatsticks and do extremely well vs swarms. Flight is a massive asset on a huge and probably is at least partly responsible for the price hike of the Bas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:37 pm 
General
General

NickName wrote:
People are putting in nearly 100 points of commanders to make it good. I think that says a lot.

Yep, ewoks, stormies, and aqualish assassins require a bit of help too. Are you disputing that those characters are not good because they require help?

You toss 100 points of CE's with the BARC or Basilisk and you still have one shot wonders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next