logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Lil Egypt Wars Report
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:33 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I didnt see anyone else make a report of the con, but if there already is one, then my apologies.

We had a decent turnout, considering several of the local players werent able to make it out this past Saturday. Thanks to the Ownesboro and St Louis groups for coming out.

The main prize support for the con was a single case of JA, provided by Scott Thorne of Castle Perilous games in Carbondale. We decided to give each tourney 3 boosters as prize support, and do a 'sportsmanship award' for each tourney with the remaining three boosters.

In the morning, I ran a Dynamic Duo game, where 15 people attended. The players went through four rounds, and I played against the bye-round players to keep them occupied (went 3-1 with Boba Merc and RotS ObiWan).

In the third round, Matt Johnson of Paducah, KY, pulled out a win against our own Jonathan Bryson of Carbondale thanks to Jon's GM Yoda rolling a 1, and a1 on the FP, against Matt's Kreia.
The 'finals' came down to Matt Spry of StL, playing Jango BH and Vodo, vs our own Bob McChristian, playing Durge and Dooku. Matt played a good game, but Bob pulled it out for the win.

We had a tie for the sportsmanship award for the DD tourney, between Dennis Beard (Boris), and Mickey Smith (Mickey), and the tie breaker went to Mickey, who pulled the Dark Woman.

After lunch, I ran the 150pt tourney, this one having 18 players. Again we did 4 rounds. To my suprise, there was only one Luke Snowspeeder squad, and one 'Fingers and Teeth' squad.

Jason Alvy from Owensboro took the tourney, playing the Snowspeeder squad, and this time for the sportsmanship award, we had a 4 way tie...with 2 votes each, lol. I hadnt voted, so I cast my vote to Matt Hilman (sp?) of St. Louis, though Im not sure what he pulled.

In the evening, Luke_Skywalker ran the Team Tournament. We again had 15 players (5 teams), and I got to play for real for the first time that day :P

This was going to be the 'big tourney' of the day, thanks to the Godfatehr showing up in the afternoon with a full set of Clone Strike (thats STRIKE, not WARS) for prizes.

My teammates were my fiancee Kristen (Playing Cade, Riekkan, TBSV, 2 ugos), and Matt Johnson of Paducah (playing 2 Ossus Gaurdian Vong, Garm, and filler). I was playing Luminara, Barris Ofee, R2AD, Antarian Ranger, and 3 ugos. We were Team "Yo Momma", cause I couldnt think of anything at all.

Round 1 we faced off against 'the Boris Henchmen' team, or something like that. We won the die roll, and Matt played against Jason Alvy, Kristen took on Dennis, and I faced Gray. (playing Mara Jedi, Han in STA, Jaina, and a Camaasi Noble).

He won map roll and we played on Muunilist. I started on the side opposite the room, and quickly moved up to grab gambit. He moved out and quickly mowed R2 down, which I placed badly, thanks to forgetting everyone was going to move 12 and attack. My jedi took Mara down thanks to a lucky initiative. In the next round, I dealt some dmg, but he took out Barris, leaving me with Luminara and a single Ugo, against his Han and Jaina. I won the init, and took out Jaina, winning the game cause of gambit.
(me: 100, Gray: 74. Matt beat out Jason, and Kristen lost to Dennis. We won the round by total team points scored.)

Round 2, we played Team "Unreal", I think.

I played against Jonathan Bryon, playing Boba BH, Dodonna, a Bothan Noble, and some ugos and mice.
Again I lost map roll, and we duked it out on hardboard. I set up in the reactor area, and he in the room. He nailed R2 early with a single shot, and rolled a 1 for the other.
The following round a pair of 1's spare R2s life for a moment. He uses the noble, and rolls another 1 on R2, and then a 20 for the twin, disentigrating the remaining 10hp that R2 had.

The game was fairly boring really. He killed stuff, I ran around, trying to stay out of line of sight while keeping the jedi in cover, close enough together to get the synergy bonus, and keep them in gambit if at all possible. He finally took out Barriss for the win, but I had completely forgotten she had force heal.
Final Score was Jon: 100, me: 93, without killing Boba...I just ran around alot and scored gambit. :P
Kristen and Matt won both there games, and we easily beat their team on points. 2-0 now.

Round 3 we played against a team composed of three guys from StL, and I cant remember their team name. I played Matt Spry, who was playing Han Smug, Luke Commando, princess Leia, Riekkan, Dodonna, and 1 ugo.

The game went completely his way, even though I won map roll this time. We played on Throne Room. I set up in the hallway, and made my way up to gambit. He came around and threw han into position where he could get los on r2 and the ranger and took them out round 2. I amanaged to kill Han, but that was it. Final score: matt: 100+, me: like 40ish.

I went over to watch kristens game where she was playing keith, who was playing Dash, ozzel, and some disciples of ragnos. She managed to pull out the win by enough points to cover up for my utter failure, and we won the tourney, 3-0.

So, our team got first pick of prizes (which were laid out individually). Order within your team was decided by wins, and by points scored, if there was a tie. Matt got first pick, going 3-0. He took Aurra Sing. Kristen went 2nd, getting a 2-1, and I went third, with 1-2. I grabbed us Maul and Sidious (both of which are for trade btw, if youve got a Felcor...). Order comes back around two more times that we got R/VR for, and she and I wind up with extra: Spider droid, capt typho, quinlan vos, and kiadi mundi (all of which are also for trade lol).

So, all in all, a good day. I went 4-3 in games played, and Kristen went 6-5, having played in all three tourneys.

I hope everyone who attended had a good time, and we wich the rest of you could have made it.

Keep a look out for Egypt Wars, coming in April 2010.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

Post subject: Re: Lil Egypt Wars Report
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Thanks for posting that report Seth - and thanks for covering the 150 :)
Sorry Anthony and I couldn't make it, especially since it meant you didn't get to play much. :(

Glad your team did well and you scored some good prize support 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice report. Here's what happened in my stuff. It's been a few days and the memory is starting to blur so pardon me if I get some things wrong or if I leave something out.

Dynamic Duo

During several rounds of this tournament, I'm talking with my friend whom I haven't seen in three years, so I wasn't really focused on the game. Regardless, I rolled poorly and I made a few mistakes due to not paying close enough attention during the games. That was true even in the rounds when my friend wasn't in the room.

Round 1 vs. Bob McChristian: I had my GenCon winning squad combo of Yoda and the Jensaraai Defender. He had Durge JH and Darth Tyrannus DLotS. He said it was the first time he ever played with those pieces (and he went on to go undefeated for the entire tournament, not bad). I think we are on Death Star, his map. I can't seem to make a single save and I struggle with scoring hits on Tyrannus. I continually try to reposition to force him to move to attack different targets with Durge, but I can't slow him down enough to win. In hindsight, I should have rushed Durge with my pieces instead of trying so hard to keep Yoda within 6 of Tyrannus for the Force Defense vs. Lightning.

0-1

Round 2 vs. Kristen(?) on Death Star: I'm not sure if this was round 2, but I know I played her. She had Boba Merc Commander and Kreia. She said after the game she forgot that Boba had flight, but it didn't matter too much because Yoda missed something like 12 attacks out of 22 against him. By the time I was able to get Ataru going, Yoda was already near death, and I lost a lot of initiative rolls at the end. Seems like it came down to the final initiative roll and my final save with LS Defense, though I might be wrong about that.

0-2

Round 3 vs. Matt (Bob's son): We were on Muunilist and Yoda killed Corran by getting within 6 of Cade and then using Lightsaber Throw + Twin on Corran. The Jensaarai based to finish him off. There were a couple of hard decisions near the end of the game. I actually gave up an AoO from Corran against Yoda in order to base Cade before he could heal. Matt totally forgot about Force Defense, but he was cool about it.

1-2

Round 4 vs. ??: I never met this guy before so I don't recall his name. I'm not good with names. Anyway, he had Felcor and Shado Vao. We were on my map, Muunilist, this time. I stayed near the center where the Felcor couldn't reach me, but I forgot it had Melee Reach 2. I made quick work of Vao and then started focusing on the Felcor. I threw a couple of times and then ran up for the Double + Twin with ASM. He made 18 Parry saves during the entire game. It was nuts. But he missed about as many attacks, and I kept running back to Gambit to pick up points every other round or 2. I could have been a jerk about it and made it so the Felcor could never reach me, but I wanted to actually play it out.

2-2

All in all it was a great time, and I appreciate the Carbondale guys putting DD on the schedule for the day-event. I also appreciated tying with Mickey Smith for the Sportsmanship award. There's not a nicer guy among the Carbondale crowd than Mickey.

150 pt.
I skipped this event to hang out with my friend and play a different game. Congratulations to Jason Alvey, one of the "home crew," for his win with Slow Cannon.

100 pt. Team Tournament
I played Jarael with Thrawn and a TBSV. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Boy was I wrong, lol.

Game 1: I get paired against Kristen, the girl who overran me with Boba Merc in DD that morning. Time for some revenge (muhahaha, just kidding). Anyway, she has Cade and Rieekan with a TSBV. We play on Muunilist. At the end of round 1, I swap Jarael into the gambit zone, and take some pot shots against Cade, putting a little bit of damage on him. Round 2, she advances the Vigo in an attempt to bait Jarael. (I don't think she realized Jarael had Evade.) I run up 8 and Triple Opp for the kill. Now Cade is in trouble. He draws LoS to Jarael and Double Twins, but cannot move. Plus, I now out-activate Kristen, so I move the Czerka Scientist up to within 5 squares of Cade and then swap Jararel with the Vigo. The Vigo runs 6 to base Cade and twins for 60 damage. Next round, I lose the Vigo, and it takes all 4 of Kristen's attacks with Cade to land enough hits to deal damage (she actually missed the first 2, splashing for 20 on the Vigo and on Cade for 10, then hit with the third attack, giving up the twin). Cade is still stuck in a stationary position. Then I make a surprise play. I base with the Czerka and attack Cade, needing a 15. I roll. 19. 20 damage. Then I activate Thrawn and run to within 6 for a Twin Attack on Cade, then swap Jarael to base. She finishes Cade off before he can activate again.
Rieekan comes out of hiding but by then the game is pretty much over. She kills an Ug (mistake on my part), and then I make another mistake. I'm at 95 points and I play it like a 1-on-1 skirmish. I move into gambit for the win. What I should have done, because this was a cumulative point-based event, was move OUT of gambit and just go kill Rieekan instead. I could have finished with 114 points instead of 100. Actually, I could have finished with 119, since the game is only over at the end of a current round. Hindsight and all that.

1-0

Game 2 I face one of the St. Louis guys running the Ozzel/Disciple combo. Opportunist is worthless when you are facing tempo control + more activations. On Cloud City, I have the upper hand on points right up until the moment combat begins. I will never discount Force Corruption again. I think I should have been awarded 50 points for each person that came up to me during the game and told me how valuable old Thrawn would have been in that game. Like I didn't know that. :P

1-1

Game 3 is a bye. Our team finishes 4th place out of 5. We didn't practice or coordinate or anything, and no matter what happens we are getting a prize, so it's cool. I snag the Aerial Clone Trooper Captain (good for mass battle) and something else, can't remember now.

That was the most fun I've had playing at Carbondale since the sealed BH event when I pulled Boba Fett BH from one of my packs.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks Dennis for the comment. I have to say, as I often do in all the forums I participate in, that the SWM community is great. There are so many people that are awesome it keeps my son and I coming back to events. I had a ton of fun Saturday and can't wait until the next big event (which is all I ever get to participate in since I work evenings). I did get to attend this past Monday since it was a holiday. I talked to Jim during my bye round and he told me some great stuff about an upcoming thing he has planned. I won't say anything because I don't want to spoil his announcement when he does but I plan to take some days off work for it. Scott also announced another 3 day con in the spring and Carl (Luke_Skywalker) is running a 3 day SW RPG. That sounds like fun as well.

I did want to note my son took the sportsmanship award in the final event at the con. I don't know if I've seen him smile so big hehe. I can't remember my matches that day so I can't really give much a report. I do know Keith from St. Louis faced me more than once and had a bad day on the dice. I went 8-2 overall for the day and I don't think I came anywhere near the top for any event. There were some great players there. Some of the players posted some match reports over on Bloomilk as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:54 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Just to let you guys know I'm going to move this thread to the reports section, please try to put future reports there as well.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:24 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Apologies for posting, yet again , in the wrong place. Havent posted here much in the past, but with wotcbook up and running now, I dont think I wanna visit there much.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:35 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

hey D1,

not a big deal at all. I own the site and have my post moved because sometimes I mess up.

Sounds like The tourney was tons of fun. I have got to make it over there at some point. At you guys going to be at Cape Giradeau this year??? That is another one I have got to get to.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hi everyone, I'd just like to start out by saying that I had a blast at the convention. Seth did an excellent job running the dynamic duo and 150 and Carl's team event was probably the most fun I've had at minis in a good long while. Also, thanks to Jim for the CS complete set for the team event prize support. Now, before I go into an event report based on my games, let me apologize if I don't remember everyone's names. It was such a long day, and I was suffering from lack of sleep, that some of the details are fuzzy. I will say that everyone I played were awesome players and great to play against. Everyone had a great time and I hope we can all get together again sometime. And Carl's team event, in my opinion, is definitely a keeper. I'll try to make this a brief recap but I had so much fun that it probably won't be. Apologies in advance if I ramble on.

By the way, I played Bob in the Dynamic Duo final instead of Matt Spry. I think Matt S played Bob in the 3rd round. I was playing Boba, MC and Kreia. Not a problem though Seth since it had to be confusing with four different Matt's playing. :lol:

DYNAMIC DUO

For dynamic duo I ran Boba, MC and Kreia. In the first match I played against Matt McChristian who was running Corran Horn and Cade. I ended up winning that match. Matt's a great guy to play against.

1-0.

In my second match I played one of the guys from St. Louis. He was running Durge, JH and Dooku. It was pretty close for a while, thanks to Dooku's Lightning but then Durge rolled a 1 on Kreia and the game was over a few minutes later. After the match, we both laughed at the betrayal.

2-0.

In my third match, I played Jonathan Bryson who was running GMYoda and a defender. As the match progressed, I took out his defender and he took out my boba (I forgot about boba's flight). :x We rolled for initiative with my Kreia having 20 hp left, and Yoda with still about half. If he won the roll, I knew I was done. He won, and rolled a 1. I didn't get excited because Yoda could reroll. He rerolls, and rolls a 1 :shock: Game over. I just could not believe it.

3-0.

In the last match, I played Bob McChristian. He took out my Kreia, and I took out Dooku. I won init, and took shots at Durge, who had 60 hp left. First cunning hits, 2nd, I rolled a 1. Bob won. Still, I had a blast with every match.

3-1.

150 pt

1-3.

In the 150 constructed I played Amidala, Rex, Tarpals, R2, four uggies and 6 gungan artillerists. I ended up going 1-3. Two of my matches were close, decided by points after time ran out. I lost to Matt Spry from St. Louis by around 5 points. I don't remember the specifics about all my matches but I do know that I got destroyed by Kristin who was running a Reikken, TBSV squad with Cade and some other shooters. I killed nothing, my only points coming on gambit. It was still a blast though.

Team Tournament.

I was part of Team Yomomma with Seth and Kristen. I was running 2 ossus guardians, Garm, and an uggie. I had a number of reinforcement options but each game I played I ended up needing the acts so after the all-important Ithorian Commander I brought in two wookie soldiers and a Moncal tech specialist.

In my first match I played Jason from Owensboro. He was running GMyoda, Rex, R2 and filler. I was able to take out everything and he only had Yoda left. I had 1 ossus, the ithorian and Garm left. And despite my ossus rolling 4 1's against yoda , I was able to pull out the win.

1-0.

In my second match I played Michael, one of the guys from St. Louis. He was running the map pack anakin, ahsoka, rex, r2, and some filler. This was a very close match, but I was able to take out anakin and ahsoka and win on points. At this point our team was 2-0.

2-0.

Last match I played another one of the St. Louis guys. He was running the new xizor, 2 TBSV's, a Czerka, San, and filler. We played on rancor pit. At the beginning of the match, he was seriously kicking the crap out of me. At that point, I based his TBSV's and killed them. I moved several pieces into gambit. His only offensive piece left was Xizor. While he tried to pick off my gambit pieces, one of which was a full health Garm, I was able to pick off his Caamasi, mouse droid, and San. At that point I won on points.

3-0.

Our team won by around 30 points and we were 3-0 and won the team tournament. Since I had the most points among team members, I got to pick first and chose Aurra Sing from CS. After all was said and done, I ended up with 2 other rares from CS, Kit Fisto and the Picador on Orray, and some commons and uncommons from CS.

Overall, I was 7-4 for the day. Thanks to everyone who came. It was fun to meet and play against people I had never met before. This event was a blast and I hope to see many of you again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

darthquintus wrote:
DYNAMIC DUO

For dynamic duo I ran Boba, MC and Kreia. In the first match I played against Matt McChristian who was running Corran Horn and Cade. I ended up winning that match. Matt's a great guy to play against.

Indeed he is. :)

On an even happier note, when I read that statement, the memory of my game against him came flooding back. We were on Muunilist and Yoda killed Corran by getting within 6 of Cade and then using Lightsaber Throw + Twin on Corran. The Jensaarai based to finish him off. There were a couple of hard decisions near the end of the game. I actually gave up an AoO from Corran against Yoda in order to base Cade before he could heal. Matt totally forgot about Force Defense, but he was cool about it.

I'll paste this into my report as well.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Matt: Sorry for the mix up, lol.

Dean: Im not sure what Jim has, if anything, planned for Cape, but Ill try to remember to ask him this coming Monday.

Im glad everyone had such a good time.

This past Monday, Scott, the owner of the lgs, came back during the tourney to give me the large Dark Knight poster I won out fo teh drawing (SWEET!), and to announce, not trying to gloat here btw, that I tied for one of the top picked judges from the con, and as such, will be a 'featured judge' for Egypt Wars, coming in April.
(thanks to anyone who did happen to vote for me, lol)

Guess I'll be running events all day again then ;)

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:24 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I want to make it to Cape, it's always a ton of fun to get everyone down to the comi-con.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Unless you live within a couple hours drive, the trip to Cape isn't worth it, as I learned the hard way the one time I went. It was a 12-hour car ride for a 4-hour tournament at a cost of $10, not including gas. I won't ever go back unless the con suddenly grows, or Jim finds a way to offer more events.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I thought it was better last year after they moved locations. I felt like there was a lot of stuff there pretty cheap, though the tournament was not as good a turnout as it had been in years past.

ImageImage