logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New formats?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

so what do you guys think of the new formats?

DD

50 pt

300 pt?

What about the banned ugo?

Post subject: Re: New formats?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:20 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Fool wrote:

DD - Absolutely love it! It allows people to get games in when they do not have a lot of time. Best thing to ever be added to GVL!

50 pt - Pretty much same idea. Makes it more of a luck game than ever, with so little skill in the game, but quick and fun.

300 pt - If these games are pulled off, they will take a while, for sure, but I bet they will be absolutely so much fun and chaotic!

What about the banned ugo? - It makes me cry :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:29 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Fool wrote:

Not having played in the GVL before I don't have any prior experience to draw from, but in general I like the DD format because it allows me to get in some games when I would otherwise not have the time for a 150-200pt game. As far as the 50pt format, I kind of see it as being MM (Mediocre Minions)... could be fun - will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I love DD a ton!

50 pt games are great!

I really think though, that we don't need gambit zones in 50 pt games. It kinda makes it a cheap win if you just sit there. It's not like there is much in the way of door control, and if there was we could just make uggo's legal.

gambit in 100pt is just fine though!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:17 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Fool wrote:

DD

50 pt

300 pt?

What about the banned ugo?

Banned ugo is awsome :D :D :D :D :D That makes me happy :D :D :D :D :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:23 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Yeah now watch out for the EWOKSSSSSS RETURN lol

Maybe we can quit override for really fun games but that is just my opinion :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:44 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Chabelo Jedi Hunter wrote:
Yeah now watch out for the EWOKSSSSSS RETURN lol

Maybe we can quit override for really fun games but that is just my opinion :D

Once again the ewoks will rule the galaxy :!: :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:15 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

[/quote]
Once again the ewoks will rule the galaxy :!: :D[/quote]

Ewoks¡¡¡ EWOKSSSSS¡¡¡¡¡ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I've always been a fan of door control. Sadly, the rebels seem to have the monopoly on it when it comes to low cost variants, so as is, I like it. Though, might I suggest rather than ban the little droid and the boomers, why not just give the r-5 override for this competition? It would make it a staple in squads but it would also make players think a lot more about how to use the abilities (override and demolitions) and how to build against it without much strain on points. Might be a bad idea but I had to suggest it.

--50 points: Well, its fun and quick but gambit is a bit much. Each round you are in gambit you get 10% of the total points needed to win the game. You sit in gambit for 5 rounds (not uncommon) and you don't have to deal with half the opponents squad to win. Perhaps make gambit worth 1 point instead (so 1/50th whats needed. Close to the 1/40th you get in 200 point games for gambit). That way it is still worth something but it isn't enough to keep you from having to deal with the 30 point character in the room (or win with the little ewok in gambit while the rest fight.)

--DD: Its fun, quick, easy, yet challenging. I don't like how it has to be EXACTLY 100 points because it really limits the options for squads and makes some characters unusable (and sadly it isn't the banes and boba's of the world, its the 40 point characters) that and you can't run the classics like han and chewie or vader and palps or, well, any normal combination at exactly 100 points. ...Also...if you leave it at having to be exactly 100 points, this format will die when normal play starts, mostly because people won't have access to a combination of exactly 100 points of 2 minis. I agree with 100 point format for DD, not that it has to be exact. (also, if you do remove the exactly 100 thing we could maybe get 150 point DD as well.)

--300 Points: I love it. I will NEVER have time to play it but I love it. See, a 300 point game is like a 3lb chocolate bar. You want to eat the whole thing in one go, you know it tastes soooo good, but there is always this feeling of fulfillment after the first half a pound or so. That is followed by a sickening one at around the second pound. So you always put it away and come back to it later. Great, now I want chocolate... Anyway, a 300 point game will take, I would guess, around 3 hours to play. Now, I know most of us have lives, so 3 hours to one game is a bit to much of a commitment. 300 point games will end up being played over a series of days, it happens often enough in 200. So, I love the idea, its just to much for one sitting. A suggested fix...well...set a maximum unit limit. No more than 20 units...or 30...or whatever seems reasonable. That way nobody can run vader IC, an FSO, Thrawn, Mas, and 188 points of troopers or some variant their of.

well, thats my two cents...and $20 extra.