Mark forums read

Post subject: Avatar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

check out this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6AAt-oV3wE

This movie is going to be awesome!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Avatar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Definitely looks pretty good so far. I'm just afraid that it's going to suffer from the disease that it's been hyped SO much leading up to it, that it will never actually be as good as people are expecting. We'll see. I'm just glad that we have a great 3-D IMAX theater 15 minutes from my house, so I'm looking forward to seeing it that way. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is only one Avatar and it is followed by Last Airbender! :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boba52 wrote:

:lol:
I want to see this one too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boba52 wrote:
Amen!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I only know it's a Jim Cameron Movie, other than that I know nothing, so no hype machine for me. In fiact when I first heard abotu it I thought it was the movie about Ang that M. Night is doing

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Outside of the preview, I know nothing of it. However, I am going to venture a guess based solely on the images I saw.

Earth is running out of room and has found a viable planet. However, the planet's atmosphere and indiginous inhabitants aren't friendly. So, we have the Avatars: genetically similiar beings created to infiltrate the alien's population and try to fight without risking human warriors. These beings are created to host the conciousness of the human warriors (soldiers) so that they can fight on even terms with the alien species. However, one human gets sidetracked, probably in a raid, and integrates with the species. He slowly learns the ways of the aliens and becomes part of their race. In a battle between human and alien, he must pick his side.

I am probably wrong but, if Cameron can get this movie out of his mind, he can move on to Battle Angel which is what I am waiting for.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Markedman247 wrote:
Outside of the preview, I know nothing of it. However, I am going to venture a guess based solely on the images I saw.

Earth is running out of room and has found a viable planet. However, the planet's atmosphere and indiginous inhabitants aren't friendly. So, we have the Avatars: genetically similiar beings created to infiltrate the alien's population and try to fight without risking human warriors. These beings are created to host the conciousness of the human warriors (soldiers) so that they can fight on even terms with the alien species. However, one human gets sidetracked, probably in a raid, and integrates with the species. He slowly learns the ways of the aliens and becomes part of their race. In a battle between human and alien, he must pick his side.

I am probably wrong but, if Cameron can get this movie out of his mind, he can move on to Battle Angel which is what I am waiting for.

Actually you are pretty close to what the story is like. Humans are trying to expand on the planet to get its resources. Humans however can't survive on the planet with out breath masks since the air is poisonous. The main guy character falls in love (saw that one coming) with one of the natives and joins the big blue skinned aliens in their fight to protect their world from destruction by the industrial/millitary complex trying to get the planets resources.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Markedman247 wrote:
..I am probably wrong but, if Cameron can get this movie out of his mind, he can move on to Battle Angel which is what I am waiting for.

Is that anything like Dark Angel, another Jim Cameron product?

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:59 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

dalsiandon wrote:
Markedman247 wrote:
..I am probably wrong but, if Cameron can get this movie out of his mind, he can move on to Battle Angel which is what I am waiting for.

Is that anything like Dark Angel, another Jim Cameron product?

Actually, Battle Angel Alita (aka Gunm) is no where close to Dark Angel outside of the heroine being dark haired and wearing a long trench coat. It's a manga/anime that Lightstorm (James Cameron) procured about 10 years ago (about the same time he was working on the Avatar project). I would speculate he bought the rights to the movie/manga just so he could use ideas.

I am not fully abreast of the manga but the movie was about two cities: One that hovered above and was the city of the priveliged and the other that was full of people who were considered "waste" by the above city. In order for the lower dwellers to survive, they had to make use out of the discarded parts that the floating city jettisoned down a waste chute. There, a scientist finds a cybernetic head that still has life. He brings it back to life by fitting it to a new robotic female robotic body and raises "her" as his daughter. However, he cannot tell if it was the right thing to do as the cyborg gets stronger and stronger every day it's activated. She could be the savior of the downtrodden or beginning of the end to humanity.

Probably not as thrilling as Avatar but I liked the original movie.
Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Angel_Alita
And a Link to Cameron interview: http://io9.com/5327554/battle-angel-alita-could-be-next-for-the-avatar-treatment

Would it work in the US? I don't know but James Cameron wouldn't have bought the rights unless he saw some potential. Or, just get a quick buck in case he needs to sell it off to make Titanic 2: The Next Generation (aka: Starship Titanic)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:21 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Battle Angel Alita sounds pretty good to. Story sounds really cool! I hope he sticks close to the manga.