logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: DragonCon 2009 Events Schedule - Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Despite the absolute screw-ups posted on the DragonCon events list, the following is the actual schedule of events for DragonCon 2009:

Friday, Sept 4
9am. Star Wars Miniatures Demonstration (Free)
1pm. 150 point Constructed tournament
6pm. 200 point Constructed tournament

Saturday, Sept 5
9am. 100 Point Dynamic Duo tournament
1pm. 200 point Constructed tournament
6pm. 150 point Constructed - DragonCon Jedi Trials
10pm. 100 Point Dynamic Duo tournament

Sunday, Sept 6
1pm. 100 Point Dynamic Duo tournament
6pm. 150 Point Constructed tournament

Monday, Sept 7

Also of note; the fees listed on the DragonCon event schedule are not the fees that were settled on by myself and the gaming staff at DragonCon. I had worked out a deal with a local distributor to provide additional prize support for all of these events. The fees listed are the minimum that DragonCon charges for events (which they collect for themselves) and if I have no way of getting them to adjust those fees I won't be able to provide that additional support. Jim Frazer set us up with a decent amount of prize support already but my hope was that I could have even more available.

If you have any question (that I can actually answer) please feel free to ask them here or send me a PM.

- Chuck

EDIT: I'm very happy to announce that an amazing amount of additional prize support is being made available for these events by Auggies and Super Games, both local businesses and really great people to work with. JediCartographer has also agreed to send a number of his custom maps for the winners of the constructed events!

Last edited by Nivuahc on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DragonCon 2009 Events Schedule - Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm sorry, I will not be attending DragonCon this year.

Maybe next year.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Nivuahc wrote:
Despite the absolute screw-ups posted on the DragonCon events list, the following is the actual schedule of events for DragonCon 2009:

Friday, Sept 4
6pm. 200 point Constructed tournament

Saturday, Sept 5
1pm. 200 point Constructed tournament
6pm. 150 point Constructed - DragonCon Jedi Trials

Sunday, Sept 6
1pm. 100 Point Dynamic Duo tournament
6pm. 150 Point Constructed tournament

Monday, Sept 7

Also of note; the fees listed on the DragonCon event schedule are not the fees that were settled on by myself and the gaming staff at DragonCon. I had worked out a deal with a local distributor to provide additional prize support for all of these events. The fees listed are the minimum that DragonCon charges for events (which they collect for themselves) and if I have no way of getting them to adjust those fees I won't be able to provide that additional support. Jim Frazer set us up with a decent amount of prize support already but my hope was that I could have even more available.

If you have any question (that I can actually answer) please feel free to ask them here or send me a PM.

- Chuck

If you need some more prize support, I can probably hook you up with some of my maps.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jedicartographer wrote:
If you need some more prize support, I can probably hook you up with some of my maps.

Dude, I would love to have some of your maps to give away as prizes... but I meant to update this thread yesterday and forgot! :o

I finally managed to get in touch with the powers that be at Dragon Con. I took the advice of everyone's favorite Sith Lord (Dean) and pretty much gave them a ton of hell about their complete and total screwup. The schedule on the Dragon Con website is still all sorts of screwed up but Dragon Con is foregoing the fees that they normally collect for themselves and is allowing me to collect tournament fees at the table where I'll be setup. They have halted sales of Star Wars Miniatures event tickets from the website and are putting the correct schedule in the printed schedule which should be available when you walk in the door.

In the end what this worked out to mean is that prize support is not going to be an issue at Dragon Con. In fact, there should be lots more prizes available than I had originally planned for.

- Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Always go with the Dark Side it is refreshing and helpful!!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:40 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'll send you 5 Map packs for the constructed tournaments you can use as prizes for the runner up or the winner or soemthing. I'll send you 20 of the Ughnaught mines that I have as extras. Just pm your address and I'll get them out this weekend.

Do you know how many people your expecting?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

No 100 point constructed that's not DD? :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Xffan_2000 wrote:
No 100 point constructed that's not DD? :(

Angie,

Part of the screwup that Dragon*Con made with the schedule gives me a lot of leeway with the schedule when it comes to things like those Dynamic Duo tournaments. That format was suggested due to the blocks of time allotted in the typical DC schedule, in an effort to keep games from overlapping each other. Since DD is typically much faster than a standard tournament, it is believed that scheduling the 100 point tournaments as DD would help eliminate those kinds of problems. However, here's the thing: If there is an interest to have one or more of the blocks that are currently scheduled as DD be a 100 point constructed event instead, and we're not having issues with time, there's no reason why I can't change the schedule on-the-fly. The schedule for SWM is going to be non-typical in that the printed materials and the official website all have majorly incorrect information. The folks at DragonCon will not be selling event tickets for any SWM events nor will they be registering people for them. They will be sending them my way for registration, which I'll be handling at the table. And that's where the actual schedule of events will be posted. It's also where the schedule of events is likely to change, based on the amount of interest.

On the one hand, the people at DragonCon really screwed me over with the way that they handled things. On the other hand, by leaving it in my hands and divorcing themselves from the process, they've given me a tremendous amount of leeway and flexibility with running these events. Because of the way things worked out, for example, I can almost guarantee that everyone who participates in a SWM event at DragonCon will walk away with prizes. Almost. Not quite 100% on that (yet!) but, unless we have an extremely massive crowd show up (think GenCon Championship levels) or you place dead last in every single event that you play in, you can pretty much bet that you'll be going home with some stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'm really sorry D*C messed up your schedule, but I'm sure you'll still run some great events. 8-)

I'll make a few DD squads and throw in a regular 100 point squad, too. That way, I'll be covered for whatever. I am hoping to make the Friday 200, the Saturday 150 and the Monday 100/DD. No promises, though. This is DragonCon, after all! :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That is cool that you were able to work something out with the organizers. Based on what I have read of the show, I highly doubt that a Star Wars game was on their list of priorities (wow what an amazing ensemble of actors btw).

I hope the events go well for you. I look forward to seeing some tournament reports. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:47 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Good luck this weekend guys. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:30 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I just want to thank everyone who managed to make it to a Star Wars Miniatures event this past weekend at Dragon*Don.

I'll be writing up a report of the event at some time today (as soon as I get some of my homework done), as well as giving Dean and Jim a verbal report over the phone. But the highlights of the weekend are thus:

Daniel Stephens (Echo) won the Dragon*Con Jedi Trials event (150 point constructed), walking away with a complete set of Jedi Academy and his own copy of Map Pack 2 from Jedicartographer. He chose slow cannon as his squad and Teth as his map.

As far as the overall turnout of the entire weekend... we went through 8 cases of miniatures for prize support and the sealed events that we ran and there was very little interest in any of the scheduled constructed events (valuable lesson learned for next years Dragon*Con!). We also went through an entire case of starter sets from the demonstrations that we put on, by midway through day two, having demonstrated the game to at least 36 individuals throughout the entire weekend. We absolutely gained some loyal converts as several of the players that were introduced to the game continued to show up to play throughout the weekend (one player even going so far as to spending the vast majority of his D-Con budget on Star Wars Miniatures boosters in the dealer hall... I think he bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 boosters and the Attack on Endor set).

Overall, I would call the weekend a huge success and would like to acknowledge that none of it would have been possible without the support of Jim Frazer (moses), Sarah Richey (WotC_Sarah), Matt Francella (Jedicartographer), Auggies (august), Nick Stearns (IronicAbomination, head Judge), and Jordan Windham (Judge). Nick and Jordan worked their rear ends off, putting in over 40 hours of volunteer work each, and they are both directly responsible for introducing the game to over 30 new people.

And, finally, a word about what I have in store for next year; This year I was surprised by a few things though, in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been.

First of all, regarding running events at Dragon*Con is concerned, very few people are interested in playing constructed events. This is understandable, to a degree, as Dragon*Con is a Sci-Fi convention and not a gaming convention. Attendees were more interested in packing their costumes and figuring out how to lug inexpensive booze on their trip, which left little room for a collection of miniatures to even consider them. Sealed events garnered the most interest of all. Should I be able to get similar support next year, under the same set of circumstances, I imagine that the majority of the events that I schedule will be of the sealed variety.

Second of all, Sunday is the busiest day for gaming, not Saturday as I'd imagined. This also makes sense when you consider that there are lots of things, outside of gaming, that are going on on Saturday. Couple that with the fact that most atttendees only make it for the weekend itself and it's not really surprising that they'd rather spend their Saturday going to the parade, meeting their favorite actors and actresses, attending symposiums, and finding the coolest parties or concerts to attend. Come Sunday, once a good number of people have the previous days activities out of their systems, there is a greater interest in spending some time gaming and recovering from last nights libations. Next year I will adjust the schedule with that in mind. The "main event" (the Dragon*Con Jedi Trials) will likely be held on Sunday for the largest possible turnout.

Third, running 4 days of gaming is expensive! Though entry fees were collected and some of that actually went into my pocket, at the end of the 4 days I didn't quite manage to cover my expenses. This was not a disappointment, though, as I hadn't even considered the expenses that I would incur when I agreed to run these events and started planning them out several months ago. And, in hindsight, I would do it all over again regardless of the cost to me. The expenses that I had to cover, from where I sit, brought a lot of happiness to the people who participated in each event and brought several people into this game that I love so much. If someone offered me the chance to repeat that result for a cost of a hundred bucks or so I would consider it money well spent. Next year, however, I'm going to have to plan things more wisely from my side of the table. All of my thoughts and plans for this years convention were from the player side of the table because I wanted everyone to have as good an experience as possible. Planning ahead of time for things such as parking, transportation, equipment, and consumables is probably a good idea so that I, at least, can minimize any surprises.

And last, but not least, I want to thank everyone who participated in any of the events! It was wonderful to see Angie (Xffan_2000) again, who made the trip to Dragon*Con from Florida and played in a sealed event on Friday. I got to meet her husband and I took a couple of snapshots of her dressed up on Saturday. I'll post those later ;) . I also got to meet several people from all over the country and, surprisingly, we met nearly a dozen local people who weren't even aware that we had a play group assembled. Most all of them were excited to learn about us and where we played, and most all of them expressed an interest in getting together with us and playing on the weekends. Even though I rarely got to leave the gaming area and see much of the con at all I had an absolute blast. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone who had a hand in making this past weekend so much fun.

- Chuck (who is slowly getting his voice back and is now set to tackling some homework)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Chuck, glad to hear you guys had a great time! We ended not getting there till almost a day later than expected (finally arrived around lunch time on Saturday). We buzzed by the gaming hall two different times, but you guys were already gone in both instances. Sorry!

I would be sure to keep at least a couple of constructed events on the calendar, maybe one each day, for next year. If you intend to continue to do SWMs events year after year, I'm sure the interest in those will grow. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:01 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'm very glad I could help. Let me know what i can do in the future.And thanks for the minis!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Chuck, glad to hear you guys had a great time! We ended not getting there till almost a day later than expected (finally arrived around lunch time on Saturday). We buzzed by the gaming hall two different times, but you guys were already gone in both instances. Sorry!

I would be sure to keep at least a couple of constructed events on the calendar, maybe one each day, for next year. If you intend to continue to do SWMs events year after year, I'm sure the interest in those will grow. :)

Dang, Aaron, when did you show up? We were there until 1:00am on Friday and Saturday and 10:30pm on Sunday. Monday we stayed until 2:00pm and there were several conversations all weekend long that went something like this:

Quote:
Someone: Has Aaron shown up yet?

Me: Nah.

Someone: Jerk...

Me: Yeah...

:lol:

Seriously though, several people inquired about you and whether or not I'd seen you. I understand how hectic Dragon*Con can be, though, so you'll have to convince your wife to let you play next year. ;)

Jedicartographer wrote:
I'm very glad I could help. Let me know what i can do in the future. And thanks for the minis!

Matt, it was the least that I could do! The top 3 on Saturday each received one of your map packs and one player on Friday night's lone sealed event got one. On Sunday, a player (Nathan, Ndjarnag3) managed to win 2 sealed events in a row, going undefeated in each, and he got the last of the map packs for his efforts, along with the other prizes.

The rest of the players on Saturday's main event got a copy of your Ugnaught Mines map and the rest were given out during the course of the weekend as prizes. There were several people who mentioned how much they liked them and how much they preferred those maps over winning miniatures. To say that the maps were a big hit, as far as prize support goes, is an understatement.

Thanks, again, for being such a class act and one very cool dude.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Dang, Aaron, when did you show up? We were there until 1:00am on Friday and Saturday and 10:30pm on Sunday. Monday we stayed until 2:00pm and there were several conversations all weekend long that went something like this:

Quote:
Someone: Has Aaron shown up yet?

Me: Nah.

Someone: Jerk...

Me: Yeah...

:lol:

Seriously though, several people inquired about you and whether or not I'd seen you. I understand how hectic Dragon*Con can be, though, so you'll have to convince your wife to let you play next year. ;)

Haha, crap! Probably missed by about 30 minutes both times then (Saturday night and Monday afternoon). Getting there late really screwed up our whole weekend. We ended up only spending like an hour total in the dealer halls too. Well, that was probably a good thing...kept us from spending much money. :P

Next year I'll try to work things and pick an event where I can convince her to go back to the room and nap for a couple hours or something, and I'll come play. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Haha, yeah Aaron, I was one of the people who kept asking where you were. Although the fact that you didn't show up probably helped me win that nice complete set of Jedi Academy! :lol:

Dragon*Con was a ton of fun, and if you missed it this year, I STRONGLY encourage you to try to start making plans to make it for next year.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dan, I think I actually saw you at one point, but it was kind of across the way, and you were facing away from me, so I wasn't sure.

Even if I had planned to play over the weekend, I either wouldn't have played in the tourney for the full JA set, or I would've played something goofy, as I'm only missing 1 piece from the set anyways. So, you should've been in good shape either way. :) Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Hey, Chuck!

As I said on the Wizards board...I think you did an outstanding job running the SWM at D*C this year. It was like night and day over what has happened in the past (i.e. nothing). You were certainly dedicated to it, staying in down in that room with the temperature of Hoth at midnight.

I do hope you can find time to get out and do more of the con next year, for your own personal enjoyment. But I was glad to see you out among the crowd in the Marriott.

I really wanted to get in more gaming, but, as I said, it *is* DragonCon! I was going non-stop this weekend. Mr. X and I even helped go for the "Thriller" World Record on Sunday night while wearing Biker Scout and Stormtrooper armor. (We think the group of 900+ did it, Guinness just has to approve.)

I'm glad you caught me on Monday before I left, Aaron. Chuck was right, people were asking about you. I think Chuck asked me twice if I'd seen you. I hadn't, but I kept looking around for a black Commando. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, that's funny, and probably why people didn't see/recognize me most of the weekend. I didn't wear the Republic Commando at all. :P Between getting there late, and then wanting to rock my new Joker costume a little, I never felt like putting on the RC. Next year hopefully. ;)