logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: TILE WARS at GenCon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I am little lost as to why this is such a big what seems to be war.

Ok I did not know Bill was the influencing decision maker on tournament lengths at Gencon!?!?! I am confused by that.

I am also a little lost on the fact I was there at 3 AM and saw several people that were still there for TIle Wars and they made it to the championship. So is this because one person decided he was too tired to make it to the championship????? is this what all the hubbub is about???? I remember a bunch on lunatics playing an RPG at Gencon until 2:30 am and it did not effect our ability to make tourney's the following day. I mean it is Gencon and I really dont see where anyone other than Ray expects to get more than 4 hours of sleep a night.

I just think terms like mismanagement are not very good ways to describe an unexpected success.

Mismanagement makes it sound like Jim screwed up in handling things because he has final say. I know I would disagree with that assessment but again just like buttholes that is my opinion and I know everyone has one.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
I am little lost as to why this is such a big what seems to be war.

Ok I did not know Bill was the influencing decision maker on tournament lengths at Gencon!?!?! I am confused by that.

Well Dean he wasn't the only person, but he was certainly one of them. Rewind to 2006, shortly after GenCon. There was quite a bit of moaning about the fact that events didn't end on time. The 4-round max limit was imposed as a result.

I didn't mean for this to become a big blow-up or "war" as you put it, but I'm not surprised at some of the responses. I think they have more to do with responding to me than to consider my initial statement.

Note I said none of the people who lost money by playing TW have posted, nor have they complained to me about it. I just disagree with the assessment about the level of success for the event. That doesn't mean - as I have stated repeatedly - that 27 players is not something to be proud of. But to call it a smashing success, or to defend the way it and the team event were handled - regardless of the reason - disregards the negative impact it had on other events, and disregards the impact it had on some people who lost money. That impact should be taken into account.

Quote:
I am also a little lost on the fact I was there at 3 AM and saw several people that were still there for TIle Wars and they made it to the championship.

I don't want to drag anyone else into this, but I will say that I heard a lot of disparraging remarks about the way TW ran and the late start.

Quote:
So is this because one person decided he was too tired to make it to the championship?????

More than one person, Dean.

Quote:
I just think terms like mismanagement are not very good ways to describe an unexpected success.

Mismanagement makes it sound like Jim screwed up in handling things because he has final say. I know I would disagree with that assessment but again just like buttholes that is my opinion and I know everyone has one.

Well if Jim did tell them to delay the event up to 2 hours as some people are telling me, then that is something I will probably discuss with him at some point.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: My TileWars Tourney
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well, i tend to play a lot of TileWars. Being good friends with the creators helps and sometimes when we don't fancy playing a 2 hr 200 pointer or whatever (we tend to play games to the end) we end up with TileWars as our substitute. Through my playing i've found that the NR are beasts by having the strongest disruptive in the game. Commander Effects can get pretty ridiculous in TileWars so Kyle Katarn JBM tends to make everything honest, which is why i call this squad

Mano a Mano

Kyle Katarn JBM
Han Galactic Hero
Mara Jade jedi
Ossus Guardian
General Wedge Antillies

There are obviously other tricks to this squad. Han Galactic hero prevents Master Tactician issues, MTB issues and any recon. It makes virtually any initiative (except Anticipation) 50/50. Mara is your one turn Kill that allows this squad to function with so few members. Han picks off Priests, Shapers, Czerkas, Droid Officers, Geonosians and any other weak commander that dares to stay in LOS. The Ossus is a brickhouse that prevents targeted force powers and takes a hell of a lot of killing so he is a great door opener not too mention a help against other jedi squads. Wedge is the sole commander effect that aids in keeping Kyle , Mara and the Ossus from taking too much dmg from the opposite Back Ranks.

I played on the Broken Edifice.

My 1st game was against a Kid who built a Grievous DAC droid squad. He brought a
Huge Crab Droid
Grievous DAC
2 super battle droid commanders
2 Super Battle Droid
Security Battle Droids
Geonosian Overseer
BDO

There were probably some other stuff. The pillars and my set up ensured the Crab Droid would not get twin or onto my square. Mara assaulted the crab droid very early putting 120 on it. Han took out the overseer but it took him 2 shots so the BDO was kept alive. Kyle Assaulted and killed the Crab droid as well as a security battle droid. The droids started returning fire and Kyle took a decent amount of dmg. I then ran the Ossus forward to kill another Battle Droid and he took the fire. Wedge took a shot on the BDO. His grievous was able to get a shot on Mara. The next round the carnage continued with Han picking off 2 30 hp droids and Mara finishing off another couple. Soon it was Grievous v almost my whole team. Kyle got involved assaulting Grievous and took a couple of hits but riposted one. Next round Mara finished Grievous and it was all done.

The next round I was against Jason Alvey who played a fearsome looking T1 swarm he had called “Beef”

Grievous DAC
4 X t1
A bgd droid?
IG droid?
Geonosian Overseer
BDO

This was a frightening match up that was made easier by 2 things, his main dmg dealers were large and positioning my ossus 2 squares directly behind the front pillar meant that the T1s couldn’t squeeze past a character on my square. I moved the Ossus with my 1st move and he spun he overseer and BDO to make life hard for Han. Mara moved up and assaulted one T1 and Kyle moved up to finish it. Mara took a hit from a T1 in return but blocked the one that landed whereas Kyle took a 40 dmg hit and riposted. Han took two shots to take out the Geonosian and give the T1s at the front single attacks. The T1s started Lifting each other around spreading the dmg so that It was Hard for Mara and Kyle to finish the remainder. After another T1 went down Kyle bit the dust after a few more hits and a failed evade save after grievous’s Gun. Han moved forward to put the front row in his disruptive field and Mara started using hit and run assaults to finish the remainder of the T1s. Han plugged away at the back support finishing the BDO and finally starting to lay into grievous with some good rolls. A cunning twin from Mara.

My 3rd round match up I faced a NR squad with similarities to mine but no Kyle.

Mara Jade, Jedi
Kol Skywalker
Dash Smuggler
Ossus?

Can’t remember much from the game, I went after Mara 1st, trying to avoid contact with Kol until his big killer went down. Kyle got a decent grenade off to begin with and the ossus set up a block for when the jedi tried to run past they got hit with his JH twins. I feel quite embarrased for my memory failing me in this one as it was a tense game.
The Dice worked in my favor and I pulled off the win.

Last Match was against Mark Sparks. He had a Mando Accurate Canderous Cannon squad.

Boba Merc Commander
Canderous Ordo
Mandalorian Captain
Madalorian Quatermaster
2 x mandalorian Scouts
Mandalorian Gunslinger

This match was really pretty back and forth. I set up so that I could rush his square fast and I think my first move was to move up Kyle and grenade a cluster that disrupted most of his pieces dropping Canderous to 3 shots. Still he lit up my people with Boba with Han taking 60. Mara moved up and assaulted the 2 scouts; Han may have landed a shot on one of the captains. I won init, and feeling comfortable about where I was at and took 2 AoOs with Mara to assault Boba. 2 crits later and Mara was down to 30 hp. She finished Boba but Ordo finished her off. My ossus moved up to take Fire from Kyle whilst han tried to land shots on the Captain and quartermaster. Han didn’t last too much longer and nor did my Ossus as the last couple of rounds saw Kyle and Wedge v Ordo, the quartermaster and the captain. Kyle and wedge finished off the captian and moved up to base ordo who had to move to get one shot. The round ended with Kyle and Ordo based Kyle at 100 and Ordo at 120. He won init and layed into Kyle but rolled appaulingly (6,5, 8). Kyle tripled, won init and tripled killing ordo without taking any dmg. The rest was mop up.

4-0

I won some boosters for my troubles

The TileWars tourney was a blast to play in coming across pretty interesting build concepts seen all over. It was always a frantic game with decent amounts of strategy and carnage as you’d expect.

The timing issues with TileWars was unfortunate. Without pointing fingers, the team tourney started late (where it had 4 hours to complete the scheduled 3 rounds) and that pushed the TileWars tourney start back as many people (myself included) had entered into both tournaments.

As a general Point to note; tourneys over the weekend ran long. The epitome of it for me was the 6hrs the 100 point tourney took on Friday. I don't blame Jim, Ray or Dean or any of the judges because handing in slips is down to the players and the return of the following round pairs is due to the people on the stage behind the computer. There is no doubt in my mind that the rate limiting step of processing the tournament occurred between submitting results and getting them. If results take 30 mins to come back, its not acceptable. Perhaps the stage is not where SWM results should be processed. A laptop operating from the league table with the correct software is all that's required to run these tourneys and if the stage isn't quick enough there is no reason it can't be taken care of by people closer to the events.

Even with TileWars starting when it did it came as a shock to me that it lasted until 3-3.30 as games several games seemed to take far longer than was expected. Peoples play speed seems to be an increasingly larger issue in all formats but I was particularly surprised to see it emerge in a format that is lauded for its quick matches. I think you just have to take the time down to 45 mins and leave it at that. Some games will just go that long but an hour for the game is ridiculous.

Still, 27 players is awesome for the format particularly with the conflicting time issues detracting from its players base.
With more tiles the format can only grow.
Here's to the continued success of this frantic TileWars format and a better temporal fit to next years GenCon!!!
:D ;) :) ;) :D :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: My TileWars Tourney
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Well, i tend to play a lot of TileWars. Being good friends with the creators helps and sometimes when we don't fancy playing a 2 hr 200 pointer or whatever (we tend to play games to the end) we end up with TileWars as our substitute.

You are one of the creators. If memory serves, the first ever TILE WARS game was played between you and Jacob. I just get credit for formalizing it, and running with it. I wave the TILE WARS banner wherever I can, trying to convert whoever I can.

Thanks for the write-up, champ! It was great for me to see such a variety in all the squads. I knew your squad was tough, and run by you had every chance of going undefeated. I knew that we'd see Vong and Mados, but I honestly didn't expect to see Seps at the top too.

One of the most exciting things for me was the fact that EVERY faction was played EXCEPT Rebels. Yes - even Old Republic is viable in this format, heck Deri even slaughtered me with a Atton Rand/Czerka/Exile cannon squad shortly before GenCon. That fact that Rebels were nowhere to be seen makes me smile. I find it to be a delightful ironic twist, considering how opposite the DCI meta is.

I can't wait to see Deri and Phillip's official TILE designs. Get those to me when you can guys!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy cow! Phillip grabbed me and had me help him on a tile he was making. I had no idea it was becuase he won and they were making an official tile! Sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Can't wait to see the new tiles gentlemen!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Can't wait to see the new tiles gentlemen!

Me too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Squads played:

Brad P:
Exile
Boba BH
Dash, RS
Czerka
TBSV
Gonk (x2)
Bespin Guard
TILE: Detention Block

Shawn H:
Kyle JBM
Kyp
Kol
Nym
Dash, RS
Mouse Droid (x2)
TILE: Hyperdrive Station

Jason A: "The Bulk"
Gen Grievous, DAC
T1 Bulk Loader Droid (x4)
IG Lancer
Geo Overseer
Battle Droid Officer
Mouse Droid
TILE: Control Room

Amanda P:
Basilisk War Droid (x2)
Zam Wessel
Mandalorian Quartermaster
Mandalorian Captain
Mouse Droid
TILE: Speeder Wreck

Peter G: "Old Faithful"
Boba Fett Merc
Kyle, JBM
Mara Jade, Jedi
Kyp
Luke, Force Spirit
Mouse Droid
Uggie
TILE: Broken Ediface

Eric M:
Grand Master Luke
Kyle, CI
Leia Jedi Knight
Felucian
TILE: Control Room

Zack: "AAH!"
Darth Bane
Darth Maul, SA
Sith Lord
Human Bodyguard
Jawa Trader
Gotal Fringer
TILE: ?

Chris F:
Canderous Ordo
Mandalorian Captain
Mando Scout (x5)
Rakghoul
Jawa Scavenger
Mouse droid

Rick E: "Hand of Death"
Darth Vader Unleashed
Prince Xizor
Eperor on Throne
Arica
Moff Nyna Calixte
Storm Commando
Aqualish Assassin
uggie

John Lash: "Jedi Hunters"
Durge, JH
Darth Tyranous, LotDS
Nym
Aurra Sing, JH
Wicket
uggie

Tom G: "Seps-2"
General Grievous DAC
Huge Crab Droid
Super Battle Droid Commander
Heavy Super Battle Droid
Super Battle Droid
Battle Droid Officer
Security Battle Droid
Battle Droid
Mouse Droid

Gray W:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
YV Ossus Guardian
Praetorite Vong Warrior
YV Shaper
Praetorite Vong Priest
YV Jedi Hunter
Advance Agent, Officer
Advance Scout (x2)
Mouse Droid
Uggie

Matthew G: "New Rep Vong"
Kyle Katarn, Combat Instructor
Garm Bel Iblis
YV Ossus Guardian (x3)
Lobot, CLO
Galactic Alliance Scout
Uggie

Jeremy B: "Boba's Accurate Death Squad"
Boba Fett Merc Commander
Mandolorian Captain
Mando Scout (x3)
Mando Gunslinger (x3)
Mouse Droid (x2)
Uggie (x2)

Alex B:
Grand Master Luke Skywalker
Aurra Sing
Anakin Solo
Cade Skywalker, Padawan

Bob S:
Cade Skywalker, Bounty Hunter
Captain Rex
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Jedi Weapons Master
Roron Corobb
Echani Handmaiden
Youngling
<more to come>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Was looking for a couple extra TW squads to bring to our event today to loan out and found that this one is actually 209. :lol: (Possible Deri remembered it wrong I guess...) Subbed in a BG to protect the captain for one of the Scouts.)

Quote:
Last Match was against Mark Sparks. He had a Mando Accurate Canderous Cannon squad.

Boba Merc Commander
Canderous Ordo
Mandalorian Captain
Madalorian Quatermaster
2 x mandalorian Scouts
Mandalorian Gunslinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:21 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
any decisions made regarding it and TWs were the right ones. Well done fellas!

That's funny seeing as how you are one of the main people who influenced the "four-round max" decision. LMAO

I usually dont flame people.. but seriously, quit crying about it and get over it for christ's sake, all you want to do is argue back and forth.

You keep crying about how your friend didnt wake up on time and that your friend lost $20 on a purchased ticket.

Well guess what? its his own fault... If he wanted to make it to the championship he should have made arrangements to do so.. pretty simple really. Its not that hard to wake up in little sleep, its all a mind set. Obviously your friend either, Didnt wake up, or woke up and chose that more sleep was what they wanted.

I dont see how you can blame Jim, Tile wars, and Team Battle for your friend's poor choices.. If he, and other players really wanted to wake up and be there, they would have... simple as that.. Phil obviously made the choice and showed up as per his post.

So get over it, it was your friends mistake and noone elses.

Now to contribute to the topic

I know this thread is old but anyways, Im Rick E on the squad list.. I ended up placing 3-1 in 7th place. Only loss being first round to a devestating Kyp Durron Repulse from Peter G that set the stage for a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Umm... you DO realize this thread is almost 3 months old, right?

Check the dates of posts before you respond, please. You make it sound like this is still an ongoing issue, when in fact nothing's been said about it since this thread ran its course.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 am 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Umm... you DO realize this thread is almost 3 months old, right?

Check the dates of posts before you respond, please. You make it sound like this is still an ongoing issue, when in fact nothing's been said about it since this thread ran its course.

Lol, yes, Boris is correct.

Also, while I tend to agree with SA on the "blame" being primarily on the person who didn't wake up, I also understand why Dennis was bringing it up. I would just suggest there was a lot less complaining present than the perception. Boris was simply adding a particular perspective on the TWs tournament going on too late in the evening for some. Don't get lost in the particulars of this case, but see it for what it was intended, as feedback.

I personally wouldn't have presented it how Dennis presented it, but he was being his usual provocative self, and if you know him, you get used to seeing it. I promise you, Tim was not insulted by his comments, and no one else was either. Dennis wasn't "angry" or "crying", he was simply relaying another perspective on the event.

Most times, its more important to understand the source and their particular style of posting, than the content of the post. Some would post this as a genuine complaint full of ranting, anger and emotion. That isn't Dennis and he wouldn't post at all if that were his driving motivation. Genuine thoughtful feedback is important to any event, and the negative ones are generally the most important for a person to hear. If you notice, Tim didn't get defensive, neither did Jim in response. Running an event that late has consequences and this was one of them this year. I am sure if there is anything they can do, they will take this feedback into account next year. That might not change it because of other time constraints, but that's not really the point either. The point of feedback is always to show what didn't go so well.

And saying such, doesn't take away from the event itself either, which I think a great many people mistake. Every event will have it's issues. In 2006 at the first Championship, Jim faced a blow up from a player who didn't read the rules. This player then went on the forums and made all sorts of accusations. Despite that, the event was a "smashing success" by our standards. But it was still good to hear the feedback from this particular player, even if it was inappropriately given. In this case, Dennis gave it appropriately without flaming Tim and Jim, so please keep that in mind :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
I personally wouldn't have presented it how Dennis presented it, but he was being his usual provocative self, and if you know him, you get used to seeing it.

I don't like to repeat myself. :P

But yes, I have spoken privately with both Jim and Tim since this, and I think there is an understanding about the delay issue. I'm not going to say anything else on the subject because it's a dead issue and I don't want to get anyone all riled up again, especially over something that's been resolved. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 am 

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
I personally wouldn't have presented it how Dennis presented it, but he was being his usual provocative self, and if you know him, you get used to seeing it.

But yes, I have spoken privately with both Jim and Tim since this, and I think there is an understanding about the delay issue. I'm not going to say anything else on the subject because it's a dead issue and I don't want to get anyone all riled up again, especially over something that's been resolved. :)

Understood, I was just trying to run interference so you didn't have to explain :) As someone who is often read incorrectly as well, I try to recognize it when it happens to others. I thought it a good chance to help people learn something, since the issue itself is a non-starter at this point :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Edited
I dont want to start something up again
whatever.

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Understood, I was just trying to run interference so you didn't have to explain :) As someone who is often read incorrectly as well, I try to recognize it when it happens to others. I thought it a good chance to help people learn something, since the issue itself is a non-starter at this point :)

I knew what you were doing. One of my early responses said "Thanks for that," but I guess I deleted it when I started over and forgot to start again with that sentence. :)