logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Post your Championship tournament reports here!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So I guess everyone knows now that Deri won the whole damn thing. But what about the guy who came in closer to 40th? Well, let me tell you...

I went with the Snowspeeder squad, using RS R2 and default reinforcements of Human Bodyguard, Ug x2, MD x2. (I brought other stuff, but I don't think I strayed from the defaults in any game. Maybe 1 time, not sure.) I had never used Luke's Snowspeeder in a skirmish before. I think if I had practiced with it, I might have done better. Oh well, there's always next year.

Round 1 I faced the kid that I had to give a warning to for profanity at the Jedi Master last year. He plays Rex, Boba, R2, and a bunch of younglings. On Chancellor's Throne, I use the Snowspeeder to smash R2 and cut down some Younglings. I mobile attack so much that he is never able to base the Snowspeeder with Boba or Rex. The key moment in the game came when he rolled a crit on the Speeder but I made my Evade save, even though I was out of Force points. After that the speeder ran away, as it would have been destroyed otherwise. He got the big D on my full health Han, but I didn't need Han to win once all his Ugs were dead. I just locked the doors to keep him from getting to me, and then when he was close enough, I ran the Speeder back out and finished off Rex.

1-0

Round 2 was against Boba BH and Bothan Nobles on Teth. This is where I lost the tournament, IMO. Boba is his only key attacker. He has Juno, but I ignored her the entire game. I was scared to death of him attacking the Speeder 8 times. I got Boba to 20 HP, but he took advantage of a play mistake and got Boba away, basing the Speeder with an Ugnaught to prevent me for making any further attacks on his Boba. The game went to time, and really it should not have. I just needed to be a little braver, but I can't tell you how much I hate the big D. I can't seem to get through a single game without it happening to me. Seriously.

1-1

Round 3 I am paired down against an 0-2 player. I curse under my breath at the Strength of Schedule gods. He has a great squad with Kyle and Mara, and he does everything right on his Ravaged Base map, but the Speeder squad is just so superior to what he has. Once I kill Kyle, I completely control the flow of the game.

2-1
Round 4, I think I played Greg from Atlanta this round. He has Luke HPU and Yoda of Dagobah with Rieekan. It is tough. I can't kill Yoda, and really I don't want to. I make a big risky play at the start of round two or three that lets me knock his Han Smuggler out of the game and forces Leia to retreat from the battlefield, but I lose the speeder in the process. Probably not the best idea. Yoda harasses my Han until time is called.

2-2

Round 5 against James Wys, the two-time regional champ. He has Wookiee Freedom Fighters, Lobot, Rieekan, and junk. I actually bait his WFF with the Snowspeeder, letting him get it to 30 HP. We laugh the entire game, and he concedes when I kill his last WFF. He needed 9's to hit, so I wasn't too worried. The funniest part of the game - funnier than my announcement that I beat the two-time regional champ - is watching him try to finish off the speeder with his Jawa Scavenger reinforcement. Even with combine fire and cunning attack, he never landed a single hit. I'm not sure now, but I don't think I rolled an Evade save against the Jawa either.

3-2

Round 6, and my final game, is against the guy who went on to earn the sportsmanship award. He played hard, and a helluva lot smarter than I did. Stuck on Muunilist against Leia Skywalker and Mara Jedi, I try to knock out Leia early with the speeder, only to end up getting trapped in the corner by Kol and Mara, where they suffer a gruesome death. Big thanks to my round 6 opponent for loaning me the cards for Rieekan, Snowspeeder, and R2, which I had left my own of in my Hoth crate. Without that generosity, I wouldn't have been able to play!

3-3 and DROP

I thought about playing the final round, but decided I wanted to play Dynamic Duo more. Of course, the fire alarm sounded right after I signed up for DD, but most people have read that story.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Post your Championship tournament reports here!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
default reinforcements of Human Bodyguard, Ug x2, MD x2.

Cheater! :D

Nice report.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Whoops.

Meant to list that as sometimes Ug x2/MD x1, other times the opposite.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I went undefeated in the Championship!!!!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dnemiller wrote:
I went undefeated in the Championship!!!!!!

Same here! Where's my damned trophy?!?!? :lol: