logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 1st ever Dynamic Duo sanctioned event at GenCon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The last two years I have judged this "fun" event, but decided this year that I wanted to play.

The Friday night event had 8 people. I ran Grand Master Yoda and the Jensaraai Defender.

Round 1 I faced off against Grand Master Yoda and Zam Wessell on Muunilist. My opponent tried to hold Zam back while rushing with Yoda. This allowed me to gain access to Ataru Style Mastery much earlier in the game than I should have. The Defender chased Zam down along the back row while closer to the center there was some Yoda-on-Yoda action. Zam died, and the Defender came running back to try to cut off my opponent's Yoda from making any more attacks on mine. He gave up a twin-attack AoO from my Yoda to finish off the Defender, putting him down to 90. My Yoda was at 130.

Next to last round of the game, I win initiative. I actually decide to go first, figuring I can take the Double+Twin rather than risk letting him go first and getting away from me. I hit both times and he defenses 1, leaving his Yoda at 70. Then he double + Twins, and rolls a 2 on his last attack, right after I defensed the 3rd one away. My Yoda is now at 90.

Final round of the game, he wins init and rolls his attacks. Hit, hit, miss, fprr, force defense cancel, hit. My Yoda is at 30. I thought about not Force Defensing but the idea of a crit made me nervous. All I have to do now is hit all 4 attacks. I hit with 3 and knock his Yoda to 10. I win init and finish him off.

1-0

Round 2 I face a mirror squad. The guy plays well but the dice are against him. He fails almost all of his defense rolls and Dark Armor saves, while I make mine a fair amount of time.

2-0

Game 3, also on Muunilist, is against General Windu and Dash Rendar. He sends the General after my Defender while I go after Dash with Yoda. I kill Dash in one turn, and it takes another round for the General to finish off the Defender. By then, Windu is at 130 HP and Yoda is at 100 (He crit on Yoda with Dash right before Dash died). He lets me go first and I LS 3 for the twin. Both hit. Then he bases and attacks. I Defense the hit. Next round, he triples first knocking Yoda down to 60 after I defense one of the attacks. Then I double+twin and hit 3 times. He ripostes, I cancel. Windu is at 30. He wins init and I figure he has the game in hand. He rolls his attacks: 1, 2, 11. I take the 20 and go on to beat the crap out of the General.

3-0

I'm the only undefeated player so Ray (the Judge) hands me 4 boosters. Woot!!

The next night I played a different combo (Boba Merc + Darth Nihl) and didn't roll higher than 5 in either of the two games I played. Oh well, can't win em all. :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 1st ever Dynamic Duo sanctioned event at GenCon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I didn't actually sign up to play either of the DD tournaments at Gencon, but if I had, I would've used Durge JH and Tyrannus LotDS. How would that have fared against Yoda and the Jensarai Defender? To me it seems that Durge's triple attack with Jedi Hunter and Regeneration would have made all the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

thereisnotry wrote:
I didn't actually sign up to play either of the DD tournaments at Gencon, but if I had, I would've used Durge JH and Tyrannus LotDS. How would that have fared against Yoda and the Jensarai Defender? To me it seems that Durge's triple attack with Jedi Hunter and Regeneration would have made all the difference.

I would've ran the same thing.

That would've been a great Mirror :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I am just glad to see it was such a success and seemingly will continue to grow (especially with the power of sanctioning)

Kind of fitting the first sanctioned DD event at Gencon has the creator walk away the winner that is pretty cool.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There were several Durge + Tyrannus running around in the much larger Saturday night DD event. I lost to the first one (came down to the final dice rolls, Durge never rolled below 12 against Boba), and I think the last round of the tournament saw Durge vs. Windu + Dash, but I'm probably wrong about that.

I didn't stay to watch the last two rounds cause I was starving.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
I am just glad to see it was such a success and seemingly will continue to grow (especially with the power of sanctioning)

Kind of fitting the first sanctioned DD event at Gencon has the creator walk away the winner that is pretty cool.

Thanks Dean. :)

It's true, we've grown from 8 players for the event in 2007 up to 24 this year. Moving it off Sunday also helped, in addition to sanctioning. I actually heard some people complaining (and I mean they were ANGRY) that they missed registration for the event. While it sucked that some people didn't get to play, it also felt good that they were mad about missing it. Kind of a pride thing, ya know. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Dennis, I am happy for you that people love this event. It was great to judge it, not once this year, but twice! Although the different squads were not as varied as I would have liked, it still was a blast!

The most frequent squads were Durge/Tyrannus, GenWindu/DashRS, Yoda/Zam or Jensaari. There were a few others out there, but it is obvious those were the most liked. I can understand why, though. Each of those has a great damage output potential. My fav. squad to run, not necessarily the best, is Boba MC/Kreia, but that is mostly fan-boy love, and the hope that someone will finally roll a "1" against her (hasn't happened with me playing it yet).

Here's hoping next year, we can get a great time slot and have tons of players!!!