logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 100 Points, Cincinnati, 7/20/09
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Man, last night was a blast. The 100 point game is much better now than I ever remembering it being. There have been seasons in this game where 100 points was pretty stale, but I definitely had a good time last night. We had 8 people total, with a decent mix of squads. I decided to run a cookiee-cutter squad, but I hadn't had a chance to play GM Yoda yet, so I figured, eh, what the heck

So, my squad was:
GM Yoda
Rex
R2-Astromech
Ugo
Map: Rancor pit

First game of the night was against Lackey, and he has a squad that I hadn't even thought to consider! He was running IG Tarkin, 2 TBSVs, Lobot CLO, Czerka, Mas, and an Ugo or two. We played on my Rancor Pit map, and he let me set up first, so I chose the Pen side. I got easy first round gambit with some Tow Cable help, and then advanced behind the "horn" in round 2, while Lackey slowly brought his pieces out. He knew he was in trouble from the very start, with me being ahead on points because of gambit, plus the open area he had to cross to get to me. He moved his TBSVs out, but left them close enough that the next round, I Tow Cabled Rex up, and was able to base both of them, taking 1 AoO for 30 along the way (Czerka wasn't close enough at that point). Of course, my rolls were terrible (more of that later, lol), and I only managed to kill one of the TBSVs and put no damage on the other one. Rex bit the dust at that point, but the score was still even due to my 3 rounds of gambit. I advanced Yoda to near R2 and readied myself for next round. For some reason next round, Lackey decided not to go for the Jolt on Yoda, so I then Tow Cabled up, based the TBSV, and killed it with a Double Attack. From there it was mostly cleanup. Lobo 1-0

Second game was against James Nagele, and this one came down to the wire. He was running Mara Jedi, Kyle CI, and 3 Ugos. We played on Rancor Pit again, and he started on the Pen side this time. First round I used Rex and some Tow Cable to pick off two of his Ugnaughts. 2nd round, he left Kyle sort of exposed, so I won init and used Rex to hit Kyle for 40 (here's where the lousy shots started, as he was out of cover and I only needed 7's to hit :( ). I made a dumb mistake here though, and R2 ended up being his closest target now, so he used Mara's Cunning to kill of R2. The rest of that round ended up being just more positioning. Next round, I lost init and he moved Mara 8 to base Rex and put 60 on him. This allowed me to wail on Mara with Rex, hitting 3 out of 4, and the Yoda moved up for a Twin with Ataru Mastery, but missed 1 due to Duelist from Kyle, even after a FPRR (though I was forgetting that ASM granted a +4 attack as well, so I think that's where I screwed up, because that attack probably should've hit her). Kyle then moved 8 and finished off Rex. I won the next init, thankfully, and finished off Mara with the Double. My Ugo actually managed to hit Kyle at least once, lol. From there it came down to a game of cat/mouse sort of, as Yoda and Kyle doubled back and forth. He moved up his last Ugo to keep me from getting ASM, so I decided to take the risk and the AoO on Yoda, to kill the Ugo, and leave James with only Kyle left. We continued trading hits, with him using his FPs mostly for Riposte, which hurt bad. Throughout this game, I only made 1 LS Defense save the whole game, out of 5 or 6 tries. I ended up using Force Defense at one point to stop him from making a Block Save, but it wasn't enough. Came down to the wire, and I had 10 left while he had 30. I hit him on the first attack, and used Riposte, scoring the hit on me. I failed the LS Defense save, and that was the game. SO close! Lobo 1-1

Final game was against Matt, who was running a myriad of Fringe pieces, including Jarael, Dash RS, Jolee Bindo, Lobot CLO, Caamasi, Mouse Droid, and a couple Ugos. We played on my map, and I had the Pen side. He started the first round with Jarael in position to grab easy gambit, but with Dash hidden inside the rooms at the top, so I Tow Cabled Rex and unloaded on Jarael, landing a Crit and two hits, though only sticking 20 damage total. He maneuvered all his pieces, including Lobot to grab Recon for that round, but I won init still, and Rex found a LOS to hit Lobot and not see Jarael. Though I missed the first shot, which meant I had to waste my full Double/Twin on Lobot, and couldn't kill the Caamasi with the 2nd Twin. I Tow Cabled Rex again, to hide him from Dash that round, and we had some more positioning wars, with Jarael running the full 16 to base Rex at the end of that round. I luckily won init, and thought I was in good shape. First attack on Jarael was a crit for 40! Down to 10 HP left! I proceeded to roll two 5's and a 4 for my last 3 shots, leaving her with 10 HP! GRRR! She activated next, and killed off R2 with Shockstaff, then put 10 on Rex. He then moved up Jolee and Force Stunned Yoda, which I failed both the first roll and the FPRR. Grr!! Dash tried to kill Rex, but missed 2 out of 4, leaving Rex alive with 20 left. Next round, luckily, I won init, and Rex finished off Jarael, and then tried to hide. Dash still found an LOS to finish him off though. Yoda luckily made his Force Stun save that round, and moved to start taking down Jolee. At this point, it got dicey, because I knew Dash could wail on me, though he needed 10's to hit, even with Jolee's Valor bonus. But statistics were finally with me again, after Rex's disappointing rolls, and Dash continued to have trouble hitting me more than twice per round, one of which got LS Defensed, typically. The star of this though, was my Ugo, who, thanks to Yoda's +3, managed to hit Dash 3 times, one of which was a Crit! Yoda finished off Jolee without too much trouble, and at that point, there was little Dash could do. In the last round, Yoda had 90 HP left, with Dash only having 30. He just couldn't hit Yoda enough at that point, and I was defensing away the hits that did sneak through. Dash went down shortly later. Lobo 2-1

I really had fun last night, and I was impressed with the versatility of the squads. Our other James (Simpson) was running Kazdan, Rieekan, Lobot CLO, R2-ES, C-3PO (yes, the RS one, just for fun), and he had a blast with all the Reserves. I saw at least 3 HK-50's on the map in one game, lol. Trace had a solid squad with Dooku of Serreno and Dash RS, and he managed to beat Lackey in the last round. StriderRe80 had another TBSV squad, but his contained Xizor, a BBSV, and two TBSVs, rather than the Tarkin/Czerka idea like Creehan's. Re ended up going 3-0 for the night, beating James Nagele in the final round, but I think that was mostly due to Re winning map, and getting to play on Taris, which was a nightmare for the Mara/Kyle duo. One of the younger guys, Josh, decided to run an OR squad with the Crusader and Malak DLOTS, and had fun with that. Overall, even with only 8 people, there was a good mix of squads, and I'm excited to see what the 100 point tourney at GenCon will bring forth. All sorts of neat combos!

Post subject: Re: 100 Points, Cincinnati, 7/20/09
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm 
General
General

I also came up with the Mara/Kyle CI squad, glad to see it did okay. :)

100 actually seems to have a lot more viable options than 150, tho, doesn't it? Even in squad building, I can think of many ideas that wouldn't work in higher point levels.

{11111111011][7777777777777777777777777777777
<(HHHHHQXX)=(77777777777777777777777777777777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:37 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Nice write up Lobo. My LGS is doing 100 this month and now I'm really looking forward to it.

LoboStele wrote:
Came down to the wire, and I had 10 left while he had 30. I hit him on the first attack, and used Riposte, scoring the hit on me. I failed the LS Defense save, and that was the game. SO close! Lobo 1-1

Didn't Yoda have ASM going for him at this point, meaning you would have Twin? Shouldn't you have gotten to make your second attack to finish off Kyle? Both figures dead. Count points for the win.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah, the Riposte interrupts the Twin, right? Oooh, Don't assess damage till after the last Twin? Grrr...always forget that crap. Hmm....yeah, might've been able to do that. I forget exactly how that went down. Definitely need to brush up on the Order of Effects stuff before GenCon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Nah, the Riposte interrupts the Twin, right? Oooh, Don't assess damage till after the last Twin? Grrr...always forget that crap. Hmm....yeah, might've been able to do that. I forget exactly how that went down. Definitely need to brush up on the Order of Effects stuff before GenCon.

You did it correctly.
The first character attacks, then the target responds with saves, then uses whatever relevant Force powers it can. So in this case, as I understand it, Yoda attacks and then Kyle Ripostes. Yoda rolls the save, and then damage is applied if the save fails.

EDIT: I probably would not have based Kyle to prevent him from Riposting the LS Throw. Run 12 to build up Force then throw when he gets close but not adjacent.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Eh...it was Kyle vs. Yoda, last 2 pieces on the board. Running 12 squares wouldn't have helped me at all, as he would've just run after me, I think. Maybe he would have sat in gambit, but I kind of doubt it. And running meant I took AoOs, but not getting attacks.

The key for me was all the lousy shots with Rex throughout the game. Missed too many attacks, and then I lost the one init that I really needed to make sure that Rex survived.

Looking back, I'm still trying to decide if I should've done something a bit different. Mara had to spend a FP to move 8, base Rex, and hit him for 60. I had Yoda close enough that I could've Force Defensed his Move Extra. At the time, I didn't think that was a good use of the Force Points. Hard to say, looking back. Might've kept Rex alive one more round.

Honestly though, the biggest thing was that I screwed up by letting R2 get picked off so easily. Should've paid closer attention to my positioning on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

LoboStele wrote:

Incorrect. Twin attack applies after you apply damage and remove characters from the board. I believe you were confusing Djem So's placement in the Resolving effects, probably because of GM Luke with Djem so and Twin helping create the confusion. But once a character is defeated, the twin does not occur.

Also, you cannot reposte a throw at all, since it counts as a non-melee attack. Boris mentioned it, not sure if that was what he intended or not. Either way, I would assume since Lobo was low on FPs, he probably didn't have the points at that time for throw anyway, and since he was based, it would hit him. Which might be what Boris was eluding to with the "non-adjacent" throw part, but I cannot be sure.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Incorrect. Twin attack applies after you apply damage and remove characters from the board. I believe you were confusing Djem So's placement in the Resolving effects, probably because of GM Luke with Djem so and Twin helping create the confusion. But once a character is defeated, the twin does not occur.

Ahh, OK, so we played it right. Didn't bother to check the rules mid-game or anything. Glad my "gut instinct" was right on that one. ;) And yeah, was probably getting the Djem So interaction confused in there with it, when R5Don4 mentioned the idea.

Quote:
Also, you cannot reposte a throw at all, since it counts as a non-melee attack. Boris mentioned it, not sure if that was what he intended or not. Either way, I would assume since Lobo was low on FPs, he probably didn't have the points at that time for throw anyway, and since he was based, it would hit him. Which might be what Boris was eluding to with the "non-adjacent" throw part, but I cannot be sure.

Yeah, I figured he was talking about LT3, but that would necessitate not being adjacent, which I would've had a tough time doing. Plus, I didn't have enough FPs for Throw anyways. I kind of doubt he would've sat back and let me build up enough FPs to hit him with throw. At that point, all he would have to do is also build up FPs, then base me right before I can do the throw. He'd have plenty of FPs at that point to Block/Riposte any of the Melee hits.

Honestly, like I said before though, I think my biggest mistake came earlier in the game, where I forgot that Yoda's Ataru Mastery granted a +4 to attack as well. I believe we decided that one of my attacks on Mara was a miss, and still a miss after a FPRR, due to Kyle's LS Duelist CE, but with the +4 from ASM, it would've been a hit, thus killing Mara one hit earlier in the game. Might've been enough to give me the edge I needed. Can't remember for sure though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what happened in the game, I guess I would have had to have seen it to say for certain.

That said, I am more impressed with GMY after playing him than when I read his card initially. Double + Twin via ASM doesn't sound all that exciting, but I've pulled off some nice tricks with it. The most exciting moment was when I realized that I didn't have to be attacking the character granting ASM. I used that discovery in a Dynamic Duo game to get close to Warmaster Tsvong but killed Aurra instead by Twinning her over and over again lol.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I had ASM in play, because Kyle was the only opponent left on the board. But I only had Yoda and an Ugnaught left, and Yoda had been wailed on a bit already anyways. In the final rounds of the game, I had like 50 or 70 HP left, to Kyle's 80 or so, and so is was Kyle's Double Attack + Riposte vs. me Double/Twin. However, I'd forgotten about the +4 that ASM granted, so I think there would've been at least 1 or 2 more hits in there at some point, which might've made the difference. Anyways, I had very few force points left (used Force Defense to stop him from using Block with his last FP at one point), and since I was based with Kyle, I didn't see much chance of using Throw 3. Without having R2 to use the Tow Cable and set up the LT3 with ASM, using Throw really wasn't an option. I would take an AoO to move away from Kyle, and then take another hit when he based me.

James was rolling hot, and I was not, and that is really what hurt, IMO. He rolled no less than 3 blocks between Mara and Kyle, while I only made one LS Defense save the whole game, including the failed one at the end, out of 5 or 6 attempts total, I believe. This was in addition to my lousy rolling. Rex never had to worry about cover on any of his attacks, so needing only 7s to hit Kyle and 8s to hit Mara, and yet he missed 2 out 4 shots on Kyle in the 2nd round. Luckily he made 3 out of 4 on Mara in round 3, but that meant Yoda needed two rounds to finish off Mara, especially since I missed against her in Round 3 with Yoda, with the Twin Attack. It really hurt, because in round 4, I had been hoping to one hit kill Mara, then run Yoda back away from Kyle, forcing him to use a FP to catch Yoda. But because I'd missed the Twin the round before, I had to use Double Attack to finish off Mara (wasn't getting ASM anymore then, because Kyle had moved up). So Yoda ended up staying close to Kyle.

It was a crazy game either way, and other than my own mistakes of losing R2 stupidly, and forgetting the +4 Attack that ASM granted, there really wasn't anything I could've done differently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:03 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Well, I had ASM in play, because Kyle was the only opponent left on the board. But I only had Yoda and an Ugnaught left, and Yoda had been wailed on a bit already anyways. In the final rounds of the game, I had like 50 or 70 HP left, to Kyle's 80 or so, and so is was Kyle's Double Attack + Riposte vs. me Double/Twin. However, I'd forgotten about the +4 that ASM granted, so I think there would've been at least 1 or 2 more hits in there at some point, which might've made the difference. Anyways, I had very few force points left (used Force Defense to stop him from using Block with his last FP at one point), and since I was based with Kyle, I didn't see much chance of using Throw 3. Without having R2 to use the Tow Cable and set up the LT3 with ASM, using Throw really wasn't an option. I would take an AoO to move away from Kyle, and then take another hit when he based me.

James was rolling hot, and I was not, and that is really what hurt, IMO. He rolled no less than 3 blocks between Mara and Kyle, while I only made one LS Defense save the whole game, including the failed one at the end, out of 5 or 6 attempts total, I believe. This was in addition to my lousy rolling. Rex never had to worry about cover on any of his attacks, so needing only 7s to hit Kyle and 8s to hit Mara, and yet he missed 2 out 4 shots on Kyle in the 2nd round. Luckily he made 3 out of 4 on Mara in round 3, but that meant Yoda needed two rounds to finish off Mara, especially since I missed against her in Round 3 with Yoda, with the Twin Attack. It really hurt, because in round 4, I had been hoping to one hit kill Mara, then run Yoda back away from Kyle, forcing him to use a FP to catch Yoda. But because I'd missed the Twin the round before, I had to use Double Attack to finish off Mara (wasn't getting ASM anymore then, because Kyle had moved up). So Yoda ended up staying close to Kyle.

It was a crazy game either way, and other than my own mistakes of losing R2 stupidly, and forgetting the +4 Attack that ASM granted, there really wasn't anything I could've done differently.

I guess where the difference in decisions stems from is that I would not have based Kyle with Yoda until I absolutely had to, and in truth I think I would have made Kyle base my piece in that situation. He could not block a Throw, and it would have given you the time you needed to whittle him down once he based, at which point you are making 4 attacks to his 2.

But hindsight is 20/20. I've seen both of you play more than a few times; I'm sure you didn't just hand him the game. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I didn't base him. Never would have done that. Round 5, I had to use Yoda's Double to finish off Mara, thus not being able to move anywhere. He based me with Kyle, and hit once, then moved his Ugo closer so I couldn't get ASM. Next round, I took the AoO to go kill the Ugo, leaving only Kyle on the map, and then he based again. Then it came down to me Double/Twin vs. his Double + Riposte. I believe I'd taken 60 from Mara earlier in the game (he just did Twin, wisely not spending the FP for Assault), because I failed the LS Defense save...again....

So yeah, definitely didn't hand it to him. I only had one good option in the game to use LT3 w/ ASM, but it would've been on Mara, who was based with Rex at the time....didn't feel like sacrificing Rex.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, I didn't base him. Never would have done that. Round 5, I had to use Yoda's Double to finish off Mara, thus not being able to move anywhere. He based me with Kyle, and hit once, then moved his Ugo closer so I couldn't get ASM. Next round, I took the AoO to go kill the Ugo, leaving only Kyle on the map, and then he based again. Then it came down to me Double/Twin vs. his Double + Riposte. I believe I'd taken 60 from Mara earlier in the game (he just did Twin, wisely not spending the FP for Assault), because I failed the LS Defense save...again....

So yeah, definitely didn't hand it to him. I only had one good option in the game to use LT3 w/ ASM, but it would've been on Mara, who was based with Rex at the time....didn't feel like sacrificing Rex.

What I'm saying is that I would not have based any fig with Yoda in that particular sort of game, letting Rex handle the initial damage output instead. Get Yoda up to 8 or 9 Force (5-6 rounds), and then start throwing. Since LS3 ignores cover, you could tow to a position where one enemy is within 6 but not adjacent, and then throw at the key target. Even without R2, I think I would just move far enough away that they have to come to you and then either Throw or Double/Twin.

Again, its that whole hindsight thing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah....

Well, with Rex having only 70 HP, it only took one round for him to move close enough, then win an init and move 8 to put 60 on Rex. That was Round 3 already. So, it was Round 4 before Yoda even engaged at all.

The problem is, without R2, you're almost never going to get a LT3 WITH Ataru Mastery. You have to burn a turn just to move into position, and within 6 squares of only one opponent. Then you have to rely on winning init, or out-activating your opponent, so they don't move a 2nd piece within 6 of you. Then, you have to rely on your opponent being dumb enough to put more than 1 piece adjacent to each other, to really make the Throw 3 worth it. James never allowed me the luxury of any of those options. :P

Of course, that was the first time I'd played with GM Yoda either. Next time will be much better. :D