logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 Point Pre-Genon prep tourney {Vassal}
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:16 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Well, tonight was a blast!

We had a really good turnout, 13 players in all.
After 4 rounds, the final standings were:

1st tint/trevor (4-0) {see below for Squad}
2nd aaron/lobo (3-1) {see below for Squad}
3rd eric/ruhk (3-1) {see below for Squad}
4th hunter/hman73
5th bill/billiv15
6th phillip/joruus (2-2) {see below for Squad}
7th ray/dvader831
8th jeff/empirejeff {Vodo, Lucian Draay, Nomi, Juggernaut War Droid on Teth Monastery}
9th brian/strider {see below for Squad}
10th matt peterson/mt magus
11th matt g /gurneywars
12th nick/landshark
13th kenred2/ken

I chose to run the new speeder variant that tint was telling me all about.

--New Cannon--
45 Luke's Snowspeeder
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
20 Princess Leia
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Juno Eclipse

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 5 Caamasi Noble
(Lobot) 9 Mouse Droid x3
(Lobot) 6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 13 activations)
Map : Teth Courtyard.

My first match was against Landshark. However some miscommunication had happened and he though it was a 200 point tourney. He chose to run the squad I like to call Replacement Killers:
55 Grand Master Yoda
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
26 Jedi Weapon Master
27 Lobot
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Caamasi Noble
(150pts. 7 activations)

I believe his reinforcements were Wicket; Uggy x2 Mouse x2. I won map and set up on left side. Not a lot was happening, I was using the speeder to pick off his reinforcement and whittle down his activations (I should note that I forgot that the speeder had speed 16, and was playing like it had speed 12!). Eventually Yoda came out to play. Towed and then ran up to the speeder (getting gambit) for ASM and bringing the speeder down to 50. Dash then popped his head around the corner and and did 10 more damage to it. I mobile the Speeder back after kill R2, and then surrounded the speeder with my reinforcements to create a wall so Yoda couldn't base. I also locked out the JWM and wicket forcing them to travel along the bottom of the map in the corridor. A Han-Leia-Han saw 2 han hits and a leia crit, one was defensed taking Yoda down to 70. Next round, yoda LST3-ed on Lobot to gain some points on the board, but Han and Leia quickly took Yoda down and that gave me the game.

My second match was against strider.
He was running:

62 Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
49 The Jedi Exile
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
9 Mouse Droid x3
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(150pts. 10 activations)

Once again I own map and set up on the right, my reinforcements were wicket, 2 uggs and 2 mice. with 4 ugs but no override I was feeling good about being able to control the doors. To avoid the speeder, strider tried to move along the top corridor. I managed to kill one of the ugs with a long range strike from the speeder. Also I critted on the twilek with Han, but it was evade (shooting from along the corridor. I won the next init and saved han bye hitting the Exile for 20 and hiding back down into the center area. Also one Mouse bit it. Slowly I was taking out his activation fodder. Boba made it to the end of the corridor on my side and tried to dispatch Juno, but rolled a 1 on his second attack. The round ended with me locking the upper right side corridor door, stranding Juno and Wicket (who put 10 on Fett!) From the backside of the corridor, Luke continued to take out uggies and mice, with some help from Leia's CE. By the fourth round or so, strider had killed Juno, Wicket and Lobot, but was down to a weakened Exile, the Vigo and Boba, while still had everything else. Boba ran 12 and based Leia, then was hit by Han and Leia's attacks, leaving him at 20. I won the init and the speeder flew back to finish him off. The Twi'lek and Exile were a little later to the fight, but came just in time to be kill by han and leia,

My 3rd match was against LoboStele. unfortunately I lost the map roll and had to play on Bespin. He was running, of course.. San!

41 Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
27 Lobot
23 Jareal
10 San Hill
3 Mouse Droid
(150pts. 7 activations)
Reinforcement: Human Bodyguard, Uggy x2, Mouse if I recall correctly.

Well as well as my last two matches went for me, this one didn't. I opened late in the first round by doing a little damage to Aurra. Second round came and after some minor positioning I raced the speeder all the way to the back of his side (left side that is) and took 2 no cover shot at Aurra... miss, miss, fprr, miss :( What started was kind of a theme for me. The speeder then took 2 hits from Dash, failed both evades. Later a hit from the Vigo.. also failed evade. Finally Aurra ran over and did the final 60. Leai took a wicked risk, and ran into the mass of his squad, killing his lobot. Then gave her CE to han, who shot at Aurra.. and missed. Han then took his turn, also shot at Aurra.. also missed. Had those two shot hit, it would have been a trade of Leia and the Speeder for Lobot and Aurra.. which could have been good, but Han couldn't hit werth a dern! Anyways the game went south for me in a hurry. I lost, but near the end I was able to pick off all hit uggies and try to lock out half of his squad.. :) Except Jareal was on the wrong side of my lock out and killed th rest of my squad anyways :P

My Final match up was against Joruus C'boath. He was trying out the new Asajj in his squad:
--Venting--
43 Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin
27 Lobot
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo
10 San Hill
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(149pts. 7 activations)

His reinforcements were 3x Uggies and 3x Mouse Droids.
Of course I lost map roll and we played on.. Bespin! :P gah!
I set up second on the right again, and we were off to a very very very careful start. I tried my first round trick again, running Leia up, open the door near gambit, then using Lobot to open the second one, and allowing Han to take a shot. Aiming at the BBSV, but he missed :(. I thought I was in for a repeat of the last game. More positioning...more careful placement. I win the 2nd round init and get 40 damage on Ventress with the Speeder and run away. Poor placement caused me to lose Juno and a Mouse. With Gambit, he was up by 3, but after round 3, not only were the activations the same, but so were the scores. I took a few hits and evade a bunch. Round 4 I think it was, I took a chance with the speeder, and got close enough to twin the TSBV. Both hit, and he failed the evade save! I was up on points and also had a 1 man activation advantage. I pulled the Speeder back as far as possible, but couldn't get far enough away from Ventress. She based Luke and we rolled init. Luckily I won (since I forgot the Ventress had rage and could kill the speeder right away!). Once again I twined with The speeder and ran. San ran forward and tied up rieekan, but I decided to risk it again, and had Han run forward to Base an unactivated Ventress and take a CE shot from leia. It hit! No more Ventress, but I exposed Leia to Dash, and subsequently lost her. But it was now my full health han and Luke vs his Dash and BBSV. An uggo got a hit in on the BBSV and Luke got the Twin to kill. From there it was mop up, eventually killing San and Lobot (while loosing all my uggs, Dod and Rieekan), but giving me enough points to win it.

In all I found the squad to very powerful. While it doesn't have as much damage output as its previous inception. It is more a reactionary squad and with mobile and evade flying around, very hard to take down from range. When you get map choice and play on Teth, you're nearly guaranteed a victory.

Tint was also playing the same squad, on the same map and went 4-0, defeating mtmagus{unsure squad/map}, Joruus C'baoth{Teth}, hman73{Teth vs SS Rebel Commandos w/ Luke RC} and LoboStele{Bespin}.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: 150 Point Pre-Genon prep tourney {Vassal}
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:24 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

8th place

i still have no last place after what about 25 tournies.

I picked one bad map for my squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This was a GREAT tournament, and I had a lot of fun.

My first round was against KenRed2, who was playing a mish-mash sort of Rebel squad, including Han Smuggler, Luke HPU, Princess Leia, Rieekan, Dodonna, Juhani, Obi FS, and an Elite Rebel Commando. We played on my map, and quite a few things didn't go my way, but in the beginning of the 3rd round, I killed his ERC, and could've won by lock-out at that point. But I decided to play it out, and fall-back on the lock victory only if necessary. Since I always had the activation advantage, I carefully made sure that Han was never able to hit anything with his Opportunist. Aurra finished off Juhani as soon as Kenred moved her up near my squad. The next round, Jarael tied up Luke with a stun, and Aurra finished off Leia with two failed Evades. Han had already taken a bit of damage from Dash/TBSV, and was down to 40, so, next round, Aurra killed Han and Dash/Jarael finished off Luke.

Second round was against Dvader831. We both had the same map, but he was playing Asajj, Aurra, Dash RS, Lobot CLO, San, and filler. This was a tough game, and mostly came down to a couple of key inits. Honestly, I don't remember too much about how that game went at the moment, so maybe Ray can fill in the blanks. I do remember in round 2 he sort of exposed his Aurra to take some shots at my Aurra, but it ended up with my Aurra only taking 40, and since I won the next init, his Aurra took 80 total, plus another 30 from my TBSV I think, leaving her at 20, and mostly out of the game at that point. Asajj did manage to take down Jarael, but I positioned to keep her from getting Rolling Cleave. I made several Parry saves one round, which was crazy, even though it honestly didn't matter that much at that point. Asajj died fairly easily from shots from Dash, the TBSV, and Aurra, and that point the game was pretty much over.

3rd round against Ruhk, he explained above. He made a gutsy move in the 2nd round that would've left me hurting a little, but it back-fired, and he ended up in a 40 point hole instead. Was still a good game though!

Final game was against thereisnotry, and this one was crazy. He had the same squad as Ruhk. We played on my Bespin map (first time in a LONG while where I've played on my map for all 4 games in a Tournament), and I set up out on the platform. TINT ran the Speeder all the way into gambit on round 1. Round 2, I managed to get Aurra inside the main hall-way, and adjacent to the Speeder (which was next to the single-door), and put 60 on Luke. I had hoped to hit the Speeder with Jarael as well, potentially killing it (would've needed 3 hits rolling a 10 or better), but I forgot about Tint's Lobot, and he locked Jarael from getting to Luke's SS. This ended up being a real pain in the rear, as I didn't end up being able to kill Luke until MUCH later in the game. 2 crits later, Aurra was down to 10 HP at the end of the 2nd round. Ouch! Luckily, I won the 3rd round init, and was able to run her to safety, but at that point, she was forced to hide for most of the rest of the game. The following couple of rounds were full of crazy positioning through that middle room, trading activations, and such. I had hoped to rush Jarael in and kill Lobot, but TINT protected him soon enough, and then it wasn't worth it for me. I had to rely on killing activations, controlling gambit, and positioning well enough that his speeder couldn't get a 3x3 landing area to shoot my guys while adjacent (to avoid my evade). At the end of Round 5 (I think), he moved up Leia and Han, using all 3 of their shots to finally wipe out my TBSV. I won the next init, and moved up Jarael. I don't remember exactly how everything happened here, but Jarael ended up left with 20 HP, and adjacent to both Leia and Han. Dash was able to move up and kill Han, but Leia escaped, taking the AoO from Jarael. The Speeder moved up to base Jarael and kill her, but it put it close enough for Aurra to come in and finish off the Speeder. At this point, TINT did say "well, that's game", but we decided to play it out. He managed to finish off Aurra the next round with Leia, then hid her, letting the door close. Time was called shortly after that, and we worked to finish the round. TINT was up in points, 102-92. I completely controlled the gambit area, but he made a brilliant move using his Lobot's Override, keeping me from reaching any of his pieces that were worth points at that point. My Lobot was 14 squares away from where he would need to be in order to Override the door back open. I had also been playing too cautiously with Lobot, keeping him further back than he needed to be. And San hill killed me here too, since if I had been able to activate two pieces, I could've opened the door with a Mouse Droid, then run Dash into kill Leia, without him having a chance to lock it in between. So, super close game, and could've gone either way several times. In the end, TINT came out on top 102-97!

Was a great tourney overall, and I'm glad I got to play. Hopefully we can do another one before GenCon! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:07 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Is the Teth Courtyard legal? I didn't think it was...thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

toddslater wrote:

What is a tech courtyard? :?: :?: :?: :shock: :? Now their is a map called tech monastery that is increadbly legal, at least untill the next update :!: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

toddslater wrote:

No, Teth Courtyard is not legal, but Teth Monastery is legal, which is probably what they were referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:47 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i wish i could actually make one of these one time, i don't think i've ever made a vassal tourney.

looked like a fun time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice to see my squad doing so well. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TimmerB123 wrote:
Nice to see my squad doing so well. ;)

I dub thee squad TimmerCannon! :P

I decided to play this squad in the spring when I first found out I was going to make it to my first GENCON! Woot!

For me, I chose to play something I felt comfortable with vs trying to master something different and sucking at it. I felt as though this would give me the best chance against GOWK and ANTI GOWK and would hold up fine if GOWK got banned. TimmerB got me drinking the Juno Kool-Aid and TINT got me onto Taris and now I must master Teth! I feel as though have gone as far as I can in my playgroup and would love to play some mirror matches against you guys or hate (if there is any yet lol). PM if you have a chance to play. I will be trying to play in the Aug 1st tourny as well. Still bummed I couldn't make this one looked very fun. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:29 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

TimmerB123 wrote:
my squad

If you consider adding Reeikan to my August 08 squad build a real stretch of the imagination that is :)

And of course my "Slow Cannon" was simply a different version of Speedy Cannon, which was a different version of Han Cannon from 07 :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
my squad

If you consider adding Reeikan to my August 08 squad build a real stretch of the imagination that is :)

And of course my "Slow Cannon" was simply a different version of Speedy Cannon, which was a different version of Han Cannon from 07 :)

That's why there was a ;) - Of course it's not really MY SQUAD!

All is fair game in squad building. It doesn't matter who did it first - it just matters who uses it best. :D

To my knowledge I was the only one to run this EXACT squad at any Regional tournament.

Besides, If you'll note my post in the regional winners section credit was given where it's due. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

It's a great squad and I'll give props where I feel its deserved...

Rob!!

For designing pieces that would mish-mash in such a way to create a great squad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 pm 

TimmerB123 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
my squad

That's why there was a ;) - Of course it's not really MY SQUAD!

All is fair game in squad building. It doesn't matter who did it first - it just matters who uses it best. :D

To my knowledge I was the only one to run this EXACT squad at any Regional tournament.

Besides, If you'll note my post in the regional winners section credit was given where it's due. ;)

All the above is true, but I am still not calling it "TimmerCannon" ever :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I'll call it the "TAB-CC". Hows that?

'Timmer's and Bill's Collaborative Cannon'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ruhk wrote:
It's a great squad and I'll give props where I feel its deserved...

Rob!!

For designing pieces that would mish-mash in such a way to create a great squad.

He does indeed deserve the credit.

I'm pretty sure Boba52 was being silly when he said he dubbed thee squad TimmerCannon. I call it Reeikan's speedy smuggler cannon, but that is a bit wordy.

Regardless - I think Deri said it best: "The second I saw Reeikan's stats - this was the first squad I thought of. I'm sure many others did too. It's too obvious and strong to miss." (Paraphrased from his heavily welsh accented mumbling voice) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 am 

I call it "Slow Cannon", for both the idea of what Dodonna does, and also for how Tim plays it (which is the right way mind you) :)

But yeah, obviously, I am not being overly serious about it either :)