logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Lumiya - Why isnt' she used more?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I was unsure where to put this topic, but I figured the competitive area seemed best. So in regards to the topic, why is she not used more? She has great synergy with her faction (Holo Sid, Malak DLotS, TBSV). Her Force Push is handy if you need Direct Damage. Even if she is up against the Vong, MR 3 and Self Destruct are solid deterrents. That Regeneration makes her a pain too. Am I missing something here?

Post subject: Re: Lumiya - Why isnt' she used more?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well for me she is one act for 53 points. I mean look at what Malak brings to the table for 49. I just think if you are playing Malak and Holo Sid you are spending those 53 points on acts and soldiers like the Geno Assasin or such. And with all the new cheap Sith in JA I would rather pump those guys. For me her best trick right now is to be transferred into by Exar and that is just way too many points to spend. Maybe if I played 200 or higher more often. I could definately see running her with new Sidious for regen swapping action. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Boba52 wrote:
Well for me she is one act for 53 points. I mean look at what Malak brings to the table for 49. I just think if you are playing Malak and Holo Sid you are spending those 53 points on acts and soldiers like the Geno Assasin or such. And with all the new cheap Sith in JA I would rather pump those guys. For me her best trick right now is to be transferred into by Exar and that is just way too many points to spend. Maybe if I played 200 or higher more often. I could definately see running her with new Sidious for regen swapping action. :P

Her best trick is when used with Exar Kun? Wow. That's the first I've heard of using her with Exar. For 53 points, she brings an awful lot to the table. Sure, you can spend those points on 2 Geno Assassins, but they also don't have as much kick when they lose initiative (or if they happen to be attacking from range). That Direct Damage is big too. Not to mention she can re-roll an Evade. Of course I also think she is more suited to the 200 game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I've got a squad on Bloomilk that's been there since before the GOWK errata. I definitely love playing her, and the squad I'd put together was pretty similar to the one Ben ran at the Racine Regional, but with Lumiya added to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Her main problem is that for 53 points you don't get a lot of dmg output.

Push is great, evade rerolls are excellent and her MR3 rocks hard but she has low attack. One of her best tricks is that she goes Kel Dor on your ass when she dies but at that point you've lost 53 points.

Her defensive abilities are not something that allows you to be GOWK and her offensive abilities are not enough to make up for that.
The best comparison for cost is Kyle BM and he does so much more against both shooters and melee, has better support (wedge, luke FS, dodonna) and only costs 1 point more.

She is about 8 points out from being a top tier piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The biggest problem is the faction she is in. If she were Imperial or even Fringe she would be great, even at 53 pts. The problem with her is not so much her as it is the Sith faction. By the time you build a 150 or 200 pt. squad with a couple of the better Uniques from that faction like Malak or Bane, there just isn't enough room left to squeeze her in. The same is true of most of the Sith pieces. So what it comes down to is that the majority of the Sith faction pieces aren't really playable because they aren't good enough without the CEs, and they can't be paired with the pieces with CEs because there aren't enough points left to round out the squad's utility.

The new Sidious and Maul do not help the situation IMO. Two more pieces that will sit on the sidelines because their counterparts are all 20-30 points higher.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I think at some point, she may end up being tier 1 but right now the support just isn't there. She needs the right commander synergy with some above average damage out put. And right now sith just doesn't have it. I have played her and she feels worth her points. All of her abilities seem to synergize with herself. Evade+reach+ SD40 mix very well. With rex and dash running around her stealth is a nice bonus.

Alot of the most well disgned melee pieces play best when support by a strong shooter. Yobuck swap is crazy but partially because Yobuck is so nicely designed and partially because it has rex to back it up. Kyle is probably the most well designed melee piece yet but strong support like Mara Jade, jedi helps make the whole squad work. Lumiya is great but her only shooter options are boba and dash. While they are great pieces the sith faction doesn't hold them up well enough. Boba is fairly average damage output and Boba merc is hurting in sith with how many pieces have evade now. Dash while great needs stun/shockstaff to help him in a non-tempo control faction or atleast the threat of it. Otherwise good players playing temp control will force you to activate dash before thier better pieces go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:42 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I think the TBSV really helped to put some use back in Lumiya, but part of her problem is that when you bring in Holo Sid, and Darth Malak, there are other pieces that become a better value, I mean Look at it this way You just droped 60 points into your support, Do you now want Dash Rendar AND Juhani (or Jareal) for that 53 or do you want Lumiya. Clearly Dash and Juhani are great in the role of extra damage for your squad and instead of Sidious giving 1 fp he now gives 2, and Dash with FP's really is very nice. Juhani becomes CLOAKED with block. Very defensive and if she rolls those 19-20's, the damage becomes staggering. Say you are going for the 150 pt arena The squads can look like this:
Darth Malak DLOTS
Holo Sid
Juhani
Dash Rendar RS
Lobot
Mouse Droid
2x Ugo

Damage Per round Assuming all hits Malak (60); Juhani (60); Dash (80). Total Damage : 200

OR
Darth Malak DLOSTS
Holo Sid
Lumiya
Lobot
Mouse Droid
2x Ugo.

Damage Per round Assuming all hits Malak (60); Lumiya (40) Total Damage: 100
Now admittedly Lumiya has more tricks when she dies and regenerates but assuming 140 hp with 2 regens, Juhani and Dash have more Hit points. And Lumiya hardly has any more ways of negating damage than Dash or Juhani.

What is the better option? Clearly I think it is choice 1.

ImageImage