logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: My new favorite Gimmick!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

So played 150pts Sealed last night at the midnight release, and pulled the Dark Woman, which is great because she is the VR I wanted the most.

I had better overall options for the event, but I chose to use the DW anyways, simply because I really wanted to start to see what kind of crazy shenanagins phase could really do. And she did not disappoint! For 21pts, you have an incredible figure, and having played her, not just for swap squads, but in general I think she is highly worth it in a lot of different squads. Let me tell you some of the craziness I pulled off.

I chose Yavin Temple for my map, and played on it 2x. It was great fun moving through the walls and doors in the center to make attacks or to run away, etc. The DW was able to collect 5-6 rounds of gambit every game because of it, and ensured I had first turn gambit, even without any other movement breakers - more on this in a minute. One of the great tricks I used almost every game was to use the DW to open a key door, often by moving through a wall to a door my opponent didn't expect. In one game, I had an awesome move. I was down to Leia and the DW, the DW in the one square gambit room, Leia in the middle room, and my opponent in the upper room, all doors were closed. After he moved his 3rd piece into his hiding room, I phased the DW 7, through the wall, out the closed door, and opened both doors, allowing Leia to throw on his piece. It was quite ridiculous and awesome!

Bespin - played one game on Bespin and pulled off the greatest first turn gambit collection in history! I had the right side, moved 12 through the wall into gambit :) That's right, no R2, first turn into the room :) Great times. In this match up, I moved through the turbolift for an attack, back through the walls into the middle room, etc. Great fun again!

Rancor pit - well you can imagine the fun. It's like Nickname's tile fix was in place for me alone :) The DW can't do a lot, but I am telling you, she can get to commanders who would otherwise be protected quite well, and this will make her a beast for swapping. It is really tough to keep track of everywhere she can go, and that's where the great fun comes from!

All in all, didn't do well 1-3 - although all three games had a great chance to win, but I just couldn't overcome my low attack scores enough. Lost 1st round to guy who went 3-1, who ended the game with a 50hp Kol, 10hp Vong Gaurd. I have several chances to put more on Kol and to kill the Gaurd and just missed too many. Round 2 I won, killing Sid and Maul and their support. Round three I lost to Deri, who won it and had the best pulls, Yoda, Vong Gaurd, Vong War, Vong Priest, Hk-50. I killed the HK - but should have killed him an entire 2 rounds earlier than I did, killed the Vong Gaurd, but again, he lasted for an entire extra round, which of course combined to give his War 2 extra rounds of living which proved to be too much for me to overcome. I also miscounted a potencial lightning on Yoda and HK - targeting HK adjacent to Yoda who would have been 7 away for no defense, but that wasn't critical until I failed to kill the HK later that round lol. Yoda ended with 70 left, so anyways, it was quite close. Not bad for my scrubs :)

Last round was against Lilly, who is great fun to play and we had a very enteraining game, as she had a Dark Woman as well! Talk about shenanigans! Anyways, she also had a Sentinal and Vodo. I killed the Sentinal first, and his DW, and took Vodo down to 20, but she made just enough Parry's and my Ranger missed like 5 times on Vodo to kill all my pieces. It was very close and a great fun sealed game.

All in all, I think I had more fun at this one than any of the 3 sealed I played for IE and really love the new Dark Woman!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: My new favorite Gimmick!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I know I had a blast playing with our 'proxy' version of sealed pieces this past Thursday. Only one person had Dark Woman though, and I didn't get to play against him.

Moving for 1st round Gambit on crazy maps like Bespin because of Force Phase is hilarious though. Could even do that on Train station too, lol, as well as other maps.

Quick question though. Did you guys play it the way the rules sheet says? Did you still consider AoOs or terrain? I don't think that will make THAT much difference, but just curious if you guys were playing it that way.

She's one of my top wants from the VRs of this set as well. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:59 pm 

LoboStele wrote:
Quick question though. Did you guys play it the way the rules sheet says? Did you still consider AoOs or terrain? I don't think that will make THAT much difference, but just curious if you guys were playing it that way.

Yes of course. That seemed obvious to all of us that it would work that way, not sure I had seen any questions about it until this morning when I read your comments :)

Deri and I were laughing about it at one point, because "She can walk through a wall, but if a small box gets in here way, well that's a double move". :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, yeah, I had been interpreting the card that way, and the card is pretty clear that it only affects walls, so I had assumed everything else was treated as normal. Just was curious to see if you'd done the same, and if it impacted your feelings about how she plays.

I'm definitely going to have some fun with Jedi Swap squads with her. Not 100% sure how I want to build those yet, or whether it will be something I'll want to run at GenCon, but I like it nonetheless.

Personally, I think the ability to spend a FP and walk through a door is awesome. You could set your squad up on one side of a closed door, then if you lose init, you're safe because the opponent will have to open the door. If you win init, you can use TDW to run through, and kill that main piece. It's brutal.

Yavin Temple is probably a perfect map for her as well, moving back and forth between the different gambit rooms.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

[quote="billiv15"]
Rancor pit - well you can imagine the fun. It's like Nickname's tile fix was in place for me alone :) The DW can't do a lot, but I am telling you, she can get to commanders who would otherwise be protected quite well, and this will make her a beast for swapping. quote]

My buddy and I had a long discussion about this and we both agreed it woudl be great on this map.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

it will get really sweet if you can ever give her mobile. Phase, move through and attack, then move back.

It's like - "Hey guys, Lobot is dead!" "What!?! How? There's nobody in the room!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:43 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

:lol: That's great!

I love it when creative new gimmicks get added to the game.

A 150 squad using DW:

Wall-buck
51 Yoda on Kybuck
33 Captain Rex
23 Captain Panaka
21 Dark Woman
09 R2 Astromech
08 Mas Amedda
05 Caamasi Noble

150pts, 7 activations.
Map: Rancor Pit.

It's low on activations, but that can change after a gallop or two. You'd run your DW up to the center wall of the Rancor Pit map, swap for Yobuck, let Yobuck go crazy, then swap him back (for the Noble). After that, you still have R2 to tow Yobuck to set up for a second Gallop. One of the things about Yobuck swapping before, was that you'd often lose R2 after towing Yoda up for the first gallop...now he can stick around a bit longer, or else just tow Rex around for an 18-square range to his quad-attack.

Anyway, this isn't the place for squad critique. I just copied it here as an example of how the DW can be useful for swapping with Yobuck. I really like the possibilities she brings to the game!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:46 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Well when she phases does hindering/low terrain slow her down? I can imagine it being 2-3 turns before she actually got to a commander on Rancor Pit with all the hindering.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
Well when she phases does hindering/low terrain slow her down?

JA Rules Insert wrote:
Force Phase: (Force: 1 Force point) On its turn, for the remainder of the turn, a character using this Force power can move through walls at its normal speed. The character cannot end its turn in a wall space and cannot move through enemy characters. It provokes attacks of opportunity normally, and it is still affected by other terrain and proximity effects such as Mines. Using Force Phase doesn’t take any time; the character can still move and attack normally this turn.

There you go.

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloa ... cklist.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, digging up this thread a bit, but I was on vacation for 10 days, and didn't get to report some hilarity that happened right before I left.

We had our release event on July 2nd, and as luck would have it, I pulled The Dark Woman in one of my boosters. Was doubly awesome because she was a piece I didn't get in my case either, so I was totally psyched about that.

Anyways....I took Bill's advice above, and chose Bespin for my own map for the night. Best game of the night, was against one of the younger guys. I lost the game, and this guy ended up coming in either 2nd or 3rd for the evening, but it was so freakin' hilarious it completely didn't matter to me that I lost. He had Yoda and Kyle on his squad, plus a Jedi Battlemaster, R4 Astromech, and Antarian Ranger. I had TDW, Cade, and a mish-mash of other stuff (had like 9 activations total, an HK-50, and a bunch of the cheaper force users). No real beatsticks for my team, so I knew it would be a tough game anyways.

But I just laughed hysterically most of this game. I started on the insde of the Bespin map, so first round, I Force Phase with TDW and run into the turbolift to grab gambit. 2nd round, he'd moved up some of his pieces near the outside wall, and I didn't really have anything better to do with TDW's single attack, so I use Phase again, and run 12 squares through the walls to end on the crates out on the platform, adjacent to his R4. I win the 3rd round init, kill the R4, and use Phase AGAIN to run back inside the room where the gambit center is. Then the next round, I use my last FP for Phase once more, run out of the room and around behind his Antarian Ranger to hit it for 20, lol.

Honestly, only did 40 damage with TDW the whole game, and she got pasted fast after that, but getting to use Phase in every single round was absolutely awesome. Like I said, I still ended up losing the game. Kyle bit the dust FAST from 3 HK-50 shots, and the Jedi BM was a pain to take down with Duelist AND Yoda's extra +3 def. In the end, Yoda was the only thing left, but I couldn't get any damage to stick to him, and his attacking vastly out-weighed mine. But the crazy fun with the TDW more than made up for the loss.

Something else we discovered, and I've yet to track down whether it was illegal or not (don't think it is, just that none of us could remember what the precedent was). Seems that Light Tutor can be used on Droids. Neither the Rule Book (which, as of the CW Starter, still has the word 'Rebel' in the Light Tutor description, lol), nor Yoda of Dagobah's card says that LT can only be used on Living targets or anything like that. And we discussed the idea of giving C-3PO Ewok Diety a FP through Yoda's Light Tutor when talking about ways to put 3PO on a Troop Cart, so we assumed this was a legal option. But man, in sealed, I was giving that Light Tutor FP to my HK-50 so he could re-roll a critical attack. Ouch. Also got to realizing that you could give R2-Astromech a Force Point, allowing him to move up to 14 at some point, possibly extending a Tow Cable maneuver, which would be particularly dangerous in a squad with Yobuck, like TINT posted above.

Some of the possibilities with TDW are absolutely astounding, IMO. I'm not 100% convinced I can make a Tier 1 squad with her at 150 points, though there are certainly some very neat options that are solid Tier 1.5, or at the very least could be serious problems for other Tier 1 squads. But at 200, the options are so amazingly limitless for her, I honestly can't decide how best to build around her! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:04 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I also am a big fan of the dark women. For her points she is great. As a follower she is subject to some great CE's, including the new Qui-Gon. Also with Light Tutor, she can really boost a few of these non-renewable R figs. or heck grant it to Kota or Roroon and give them either a quicker or extra Repulse.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:06 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I also love what DW does for Dash in a squad with Qui Gon Jedi Trainer. She Tutors Dash, which makes him eligible to receive +4 attack from Qui Gon.