logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cincinnati, Proxy Sealed, 150, 6/25
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We only had 5 players last week, but that was because some of the guys are in a SW RPG group, and they were meeting that night as well, so several of them were doing that instead. But it's OK, we had a blast.

We did one of our Proxy or Mock Sealed events, using the spoiled stats from the JA set to play. I generated up a bunch of boosters with the stats for the pieces, then we all picked two sheets, and proxied the pieces. This was SO much fun.

My squad ended up being:

Exile
Qui-Gon JT
Jedi BM
Sith Lord
Crimson Nova BH
R4 Astromech
Peace Brigade Thug

I got a bye the first round, which was OK with me, because it gave the other guys a chance to play a bit more. I got to watch the game between Cole (who had GMLS, R4, HK-50) and StriderRe80 (Kyle, Vodo, Jensaarai, Antarian Ranger). This game was absolutely epic. They had a lot of maneuvering back and forth the first few rounds, as Cole let GMLS build up some FPs, and Strider was trying to take pot shots with the Antarian. Eventually, things got messy. Kyle went down first, though I think he at least put some damage on Luke. Vodo stood in Luke's path next though, and I kid you not...survived for like at least 3 rounds. Strider's Parry saves were insane here. At one point Cole rolled a crit with GMLS on his first attack from a DSM (so it would've done 50 damage). Strider used Vodo's Alter to make him re-roll it, and he rolled ANOTHER crit, lol. But then Strider made the Parry save anyways! I seriously watched him make probably 10-15 Parry saves in a row, absolutely spectacular. Eventually, Vodo and GMLS bit the dust, but by then, time ran out, and so Strider won on points, lol. Crazy game.

So my first actual game was against Trace. He had Leia, Cade, an Exceptional JA, HK-50, Antarian Ranger, Death Watch Raider, and a Jedi BM. We decided to play on the new Teth Monastery map. He took the entrance side, and we slowly converged on the middle of the map. Extra Attack for all my pieces was sweet, particularly the Crimson Nova BH, though she missed a bunch of attacks this game, lol. I slowly converged on his pieces, and Trace did well to keep his power shooters behind his Jedi shield. I got off a nice Lightning 2 with the Sith Lord before he got chewed to pieces. That was key for later though, as I set myself up in a later round for a Repulse 3 from the Exile which finished off Cade and the EJA. Eventually, it came down to his Jedi BM, Leia, and HK-50, vs. my Exile, Qui-Gon, and Jedi BM. A lot of attacks went back and forth here, and the only reason I ended up winning was that his HK-50 missed his attacks, 3 rounds in row, rolling two 4's and a 3 against either Qui-Gon or the JBM. I finally finished off both Leia and his JBM, but I lost Qui-Gon and my JBM to do it. At the end of the last round, my Exile was standing alive with only 40 HP left, and his HK-50 had 40 left, but at that point, I went up to 30 points of gambit, which gave me the win. Lobo 2-0 (with 1 bye, lol)

Second game was against Cole. Due to our small group size, and my bye in the 1st round, the pairings were really odd, as I was now technically 2-0 playing a 1-1, while one of the other guys, Steve, was also 2-0, playing a 1-1. In the end, it all worked out though, haha. So, here I am facing the nightmare that is GMLS, lol. We play on my Teth Monastery map again, and this time, I start at the entrance side. He advances to the wall across the middle on his end, and proceeds to mostly hide there, building up FPs. Well, I decided that I couldn't let him do that too long, so I started to advance, gaining gambit as well. He positioned semi-poorly, and allowed me to hit his HK-50 with a Lightning 2 from the Sith Lord, but it also hit GMLS as well, and he was 7 squares away, so unable to use Force Defense. The following round is where things started getting messy. I tried to spread out my forces as much as possible, to force Luke to have to move around a lot. My Jedi BM actually bypassed Luke altogether, and just went for the Assault and kill on the HK-50. My CNBH took out his R4, leaving GMLS vs. my whole squad. I managed to force Cole into burning his 3 FPs for Force Defense at least twice in order to cancel Qui-Gon's Force Push 1. I was just using it to try and keep him from being able to start a round based against my pieces, and try to deny him the Triple/Twin attacks. So Qui-Gon used all 4 of his FPs for Push. The Crimson Nova BH and Jedi BM were key here as well, as they forced him to whittle down his FPs with a few key attacks that he was forced to use Lightsaber Defense on (R4 helped them consistently get hits), including a crit from the CNBH at one point. Eventually I got him whittled down. Even managed a Repulse with the Exile at one point. I believe the finishing blow came from either the JBM or CNBH, where he failed the first Lightsaber Defense roll, and then I used the Exile's last FPs to Defense his re-roll! Lobo 3-0! (with 1 bye, so technically, 2-0, lol)

We had an absolute blast, even though it was just the 5 of us. Steve's squad (the only one I hadn't mentioned yet) was Yoda, Imperial Sentinel, Dark Woman, and a Sith Lord (I think). His game against Trace in round 1 was a close one, and Trace missed the win simply due to two missed attacks on Yoda in the last round, which left him alive with only 10 HP. If they had been playing a bit quicker, might've still gone in Trace's favor, but new pieces and all, I actually walked across the street to the pharmacy real quick to buy a drink and a snack, and when I came back about 5 minutes later, absolutely nothing had happened in their game, as they were trying to figure out some question about abilities or something, lol. So, was a good lesson in preparing for sealed events a little before hand.

I was impressed that Luke didn't fair any better, though admittedly, StriderRe80 got super lucky against him, and Cole is a younger player, so I just out-maneuvered him. But in general, my theory on how to beat him held up, in that you just have to intercept Luke with something, and then spam Force powers at him until he goes down. If you have enough pieces with Renewal and abilities that only cost 1 or 2 FPs, then it's a lot easier to force Luke to burn those 3 FPs at a time for Force Defense. Oh, and the R4 Astromech was INVALUABLE in knocking down Luke's high defense.

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, Proxy Sealed, 150, 6/25
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:
I got a bye the first round, which was OK with me, because it gave the other guys a chance to play a bit more. I got to watch the game between Cole (who had GMLS, R4, HK-50) and StriderRe80 (Kyle, Vodo, Jensaarai, Antarian Ranger). This game was absolutely epic. They had a lot of maneuvering back and forth the first few rounds, as Cole let GMLS build up some FPs, and Strider was trying to take pot shots with the Antarian. Eventually, things got messy. Kyle went down first, though I think he at least put some damage on Luke. Vodo stood in Luke's path next though, and I kid you not...survived for like at least 3 rounds. Strider's Parry saves were insane here. At one point Cole rolled a crit with GMLS on his first attack from a DSM (so it would've done 50 damage). Strider used Vodo's Alter to make him re-roll it, and he rolled ANOTHER crit, lol. But then Strider made the Parry save anyways! I seriously watched him make probably 10-15 Parry saves in a row, absolutely spectacular. Eventually, Vodo and GMLS bit the dust, but by then, time ran out, and so Strider won on points, lol. Crazy game.

Cole actually won the game becasue he destroyed kyle becasue i was not able to get my defender up their to draw fire and then he killed the vodo and before time ran out i killed luke but his dem so killed my defender only leaving the ranger left

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Post subject: Re: Cincinnati, Proxy Sealed, 150, 6/25
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ahh, forgot that he finished off the Jensaarai with that last Djem So, that's right! Was a great game. :)