logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Washington Regionals Results (will be updated on Monday)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:42 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

quick hits

38 people

rebel push won (Luke HPU, Obi Unleashed, stuff) played by Omnus, going 5-1

second was a modified speedy cannon, shinja, 5-1

third was Viable (darth vader unleashed, palpy on throne), daniel mcdougall 5-1 (tied with shinja)

fourth was LV + Mitt Thrawn + Lobot + Ozzel (sithfan) 5-1

fifth was Boba Cannon (Velox) 5-1

Don't know where the earliest GOWK squad was...they didn't do too well I think.

38 people, 3 drops, so 35 at the end. fun time was had by all. Unfortunately our Spokane/Portland friends were unable to make it due to (a) being one of the good 13 days of weather out here (no clouds, 70 or so, pure sun, daylight till 10 PM) as well as some highway issues. Super happy that the Canucks made it down here, and had a good showing (one got 4th). 3 fellowship boosters given to

1) Brando the Mando -- Boba Cannon player from Canada who wore a Boba Fett jacket, and had repainted all his Bothan Nobles and ugnaughts to match the Boba color motif.

2) Van -- for coming in and being #38 (and not dropping)

3) Jack -- for getting his Boba self-disintegrated first round via Jar Jar.

Post subject: Re: Washington Regionals Results (will be updated on Monday)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:46 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Wow! 38 Players and at least one gaming group who didn't make it! Congratulations you guys! That is awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Woot for the largest regional! I know Aaron was expecting a lot, and I am glad the turn out was so high! Well done organizers.

Congrats Omnus, on what I am sure was a well deserved win, and to Aaron for taking second! I am glad you ended up going with what you knew best, I'll bet that made all the difference :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

congrats guys sounds like you had a ton of fun.

Hopefully aaron will be posting some pics soon as he said he was bringing camera and trusting it to the crooked judge to take some.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I saw the Shinja's report over at Bloomilk. I was so tickled to see Chewie of Hoth as part of his squad.

Congrats guys for a great turnout!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Ahhhahaha, you should know better then to ever expect me to take pictures. :D

There were some, not sure how many pictures were taken. Hair on fire for me, most of the time. :D

As far as I know, Omnus basically decided Friday night to try Rebel Push. He had played it a few times, but not too many times.

Omnus's SOS was 71.33% (he faced 3 of the 5-1s, and two 4-2s), Daniel and Shinja had 65.33% or something like that. Was insane.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

So I played...

http://bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=38825

--Rieekan Reinforced Rebels--
44 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Unleashed
35 Han Solo, Rebel Hero
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 R2-D2
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 10 activations)

My map:

The Clone Wars starter Christophsis map

First Round was against vanlanning/Conor and he was playing LV swap. I won map roll. We played a very close game. I picked off activations as I could. Han Rebel Hero picked off two Imperial Dignitaries. He got vader adjacent to dodonna, an uggie and mouse droid. His plan was to kill all 3 when he won init. I used Obi's push2 to get vader away from dodonna and the mouse droid and then ran them safely away. I eventually lost Obi to Vader but he had to swap in Ozzell, so I promptly killed ozzel with Rieekan and Han. Last round vader had 30 health and Luke couldn;t push him for the kill because he was 1 move too far from him but the final score ended up being 58-50 I believe.

Second Round was against Joelker and he was playing Boba Cannon and I lost map roll so we ended up on Rancor pit. I choose the rancor pen side. I had played on the map enough to be very careful with positioning. He didn't get any early los. But he got gambit round 1 and I did not. Round 2 I advanced to gambit and han with his fp, moved 8 to get he kill on the mouse in gambit. Boba moved out to shoot han and all attacks were evaded. Boba then got pushed out of los. Next round Boba withdrew for healing. After about 40 minutes he conceded because I had the gambit lead, out activated him and had everything positioned well with zero damage taken.

Third Round was against Sithfan who was playing LV swap with Lobot. I lost map roll and we were on new muunilist. He brought in 2 grans, 2 uggies and 2 mouse droids. Round 2 i pulled off an override with r2 and Han shot Lobot. I needed 4 and rolled a 4. I made a very strange choice but I felt it was the right one. I knew Vader was going to be able to get some damage in when he won init, so I actually set up R2, Han and Obi so he could sweep all 3. Which actually worked out for me, because I got alot of damage on Vader but only lost r2. Then he also got reserves and pulled in 4 more activations. Obi killed one of the dignitaries and a mouse droid with a repulse. Last round thrawn killed my mouse in gambit. He advanced a gran so he would swap in vader. My uggie missed the gran. Vader swapped in and with leap+speed, he could reach han, who then died. The game went to time after 5 rounds. Ended up being very close, I felt bad at the end because Sithfan forgot to mark 1 of my gambit rounds in his notes so he thought he won by 4 but it ended up being 52-51 because I had 4 rounds of gambit (round 1-4 and my dead mouse droid didn't get gambit for the 5th round), a dignitary kill and Lobot. The closest game I have ever played.

4th Round was against Daniel playing Viable except 3 uggies in place of the dignitary and gran. I lost map roll and we played on ruined base. I set up inside. I Obi spent for speed and got me gambit. R2 locked the door to protect him. Throne was parked in gambit but with sight out of the door. My orginal plan was to pick of the throne and force him to expose the rest of his squad. Put 60 on the throne. Then he advanced dash and vader. I saw a good chance to kill dash if I won init, so based him with obi. He won init and ran dash 14 away. I exposed Luke to a grip4 by accident. Jagged and ozzel killed uggies and mouse droids. Han, Luke and Rieekan kill ozzel and Dash. OBi killed some uggies and then chased down Dash. I eventually caught dash, but lost dodonna. Vader finished luke and r2. When time was called it was a very close game but we counted the points and the only way for Daniel to win was to saber throw5 at han who was next to Rieekan and if he crit rieekan, he would win. He rolled a crit and a "1".

5th Round was against Shinja playing his Speedy Cannon variant with Chewwy of Hoth. I won map roll. At this point he and I were the only undefeated players. Someone else was paired down and lost. I screwd up this game from the start. Being round 5 and playing against squads that didn't have alot of mobility left in a bad mind set for this game and I got creamed. Shinja was a great sport, but he bent me over this game. I think I killed Nadine, put 20 on the ERC and 40 on Leia. That was about it. Great game Shinja, you are a hell of a guy.

6th round was against Darcy playing twilek's. We both had the same map and he won side choice. I woke up alittle bit after getting pwn'd by Shinja. I set up better and was ready for a good game. I got an early shot on lobot with Han (spending for speed) and killed another. This made it an uphill battle for him. I ended up with a repulse killing a twilek, a czerka and putting 30 on the free twilek. Obi took 80 that round. I actually used push4 to ensure a kill on the twilek with 10 hp because i didn't want to risk spending for speed to base it and needing a 7. I then used push 2 with mobile to get 20 on the last twilek and then get hidden. He ran the twilek the other way and got an los to rieekan. hitting him for 40 and jolting him. I piled mouse droids and uggies in front of him. He got reserves and pulled in 4 troopers. Xizor kept OBi busy for like 3 rounds. Obi eventually took an aoo to get 20 on mas who was then killed by dodonna or rieekan (don't remember) I either missed all my attacks or failed all the pheromones checks. Luke and Han killed the twilek and the troopers. Xizor kills Obi and then Han and Luke kill Xizor. We were both Joking around alot through this...I think with it being 6th round it was a less than perfect game but we had fun.

My opponents ending up going 3-3, 4-2, 4-2, 5-1, 5-1, 5-1. I had actually played all three of the other top 4. What a great event. We didn't have any players go 6-0. My pass in being sent straight to Shinja. Thanks for Bloomilk man! I am really excited to see how the Bloomilk Championship ends up!

Big thanks to everyone for playing, and to Mark IV and Cybit for Judging. Uncle's Games did a great job handling this for us. I was also really happy to meet the guys who drove down from Canada. Really nice guys. Had alot of good times. A father and son were watching my first game and I was explaining aspects of the game to them as they wanted to start playing more. We compiled 30 rares and very rares to provide extra prizes for people who came.

We had about 8 people at Applebee's afterwards (thanks for hanging out Chuckafett!)and then some people hanging out at Chris' place for some drinks aswell until about 2 am.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:06 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

That was a great day of gaming! I managed to pull out a sixth place finish with

LotF 15 Rebel 39 Luke Skywalker, Legacy of the Light Side
CotF 45 Rebel 36 Yoda of Dagobah
KotOR 30 Rebel 27 Han Solo, Smuggler
IE 4 Rebel 14 General Rieekan
LotF 14 Rebel 9 General Dodonna
TFU 11 Rebel 8 Juno Eclipse
RS 14 Rebel 8 R2-D2
CotF 59 Fringe 3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Lost by 7 points or so to the Mandalorian Squad and to Sithfan's Lord Vader Swap Squad (by significantly more than 7 :) ). Han got a lucky a crit to take out LV and killed Lobot, it wasn't enough to pull out the win there, but it wasn't a shut out either.

Overall I couldn't be happier with how this squad did.

It was a great event, well organized, fantastic prize support, and good folks to play against! Kudos to the organizers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

We have our midnight release tonight, so I probably won't get stuff updated. The round by round matchups are on a friend's laptop, so they may take a while to get posted (if I ever bother to do so.)

GOWK was pretty much irrelevant; they all got annihilated the first set of rounds, and never really made it up. I don't think a single one got past 3-3; and their only wins were coming off of each other or people playing completely random squads (BD swarm, for instance). Boba Cannon did well, and Rebel Push had a good showing.

One thing I noticed is that it tended to be the skill of the player that won out, regardless of squad matchup. Boba Cannon, Speedy Cannon + Rieekan are squads that could do well regardless of GOWK or not (and squads I would expect to be good at GenCon).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, from what I know of your venue up there, most of the top players that I'm aware of, ended up at the top of the pile. So I'd say that skill level definitely sounds like a factor in the non-GOWK showing for this regional. Doesn't surprise me much though, as GOWK squads don't seem to be the play-style preference for many of you guys (which is perfectly fine, just an observation). No different than my LGS in many ways. StriderRe80 and I were the only ones who were enjoying playing GOWK, and James, who won the Cincy event, doesn't like playing melee or non-Accurate shooters. So it's kind of similar to you guys. Play what you are most comfortable with, and if you have a match-up against a tough squad, just plan to out-play them.

I said it over on bloomilk as well, but again, congrats to all of you for the big wins, and the huge turnout! Well done!

Oh, and the Jar Jar vs Boba absolutely cracks me up. That is so awesome. I mean, sucks for the Boba player, but that's the one scenario everybody thought of as soon as we learned how Jar Jar worked. Hilarious to see it happen at a Regional. Too funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
Well, from what I know of your venue up there, most of the top players that I'm aware of, ended up at the top of the pile. So I'd say that skill level definitely sounds like a factor in the non-GOWK showing for this regional. Doesn't surprise me much though, as GOWK squads don't seem to be the play-style preference for many of you guys (which is perfectly fine, just an observation). No different than my LGS in many ways. StriderRe80 and I were the only ones who were enjoying playing GOWK, and James, who won the Cincy event, doesn't like playing melee or non-Accurate shooters. So it's kind of similar to you guys. Play what you are most comfortable with, and if you have a match-up against a tough squad, just plan to out-play them.

I said it over on bloomilk as well, but again, congrats to all of you for the big wins, and the huge turnout! Well done!

Oh, and the Jar Jar vs Boba absolutely cracks me up. That is so awesome. I mean, sucks for the Boba player, but that's the one scenario everybody thought of as soon as we learned how Jar Jar worked. Hilarious to see it happen at a Regional. Too funny.

Yeah. I think we got an extra couple of weeks of practice vs GOWK, which really helped a lot of people become much more confident of dealing with the squad, either by taking out his support and running, or becoming comfortable enough with a counter that they knew how to deal with non-GOWK squads as well.

Also, many of the players (not most of those who made top 4, but still did a lot of 4-2, 3-2) started playing around CW, so they really got into the game whilst GOWK was around, and didn't have a lot of the pre-conceptions of what the meta was (Most of them saw a Speedy Cannon variant rarely, for instance). This led to a pretty cool diversity of squads at the tournament, which was awesome to see. Poor Shinja aside, not many people had to run into the same squad over and over.

It's actually really telling to me that, in many of the regionals, it came down to the skill level of the players; even when the skill level difference wasn't much at all. GOWK or not.

As for the Jar-Jar Boba deal, we were struggling who to give the third fellowshiip booster to. Brando the Mando, or Mandalore the Canadian, depending on who you talk to, definitely got the first one, as we were sending players who finished early over to look at his squad (Also, there was a gran who had a ref's jersey painted onto him on another player's squad, which was also awesome). Van came in at the end in his to put us at 38, so that was an easy second one. But then, we heard everyone laughing about the Jar-Jar/Boba deal, and we decided to give Jack (who was laughing the hardest of everyone about it) the booster for getting Boba self-disintegrated. Best part: He made the evade check for the damage portion (but not the boom dead portion) (because he could). :-p

Ironically, the same player got his full health Yobuck disintegrated in an earlier game, which led to the player doing the disintegration doing one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen do (these are two local players who know each other well, so there was mass taunting involved in the match), where the Boba player makes a mock blaster rifle with his hands, goes "BUH-BAAANG", and then mock blows out the smoke of his fake rifle. He then waits about 10 seconds, and mockingly kisses the rifle. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing after the mock kiss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Glad to hear you guys had a great turn out. Congratulations to the winner. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cybit wrote:
It's actually really telling to me that, in many of the regionals, it came down to the skill level of the players; even when the skill level difference wasn't much at all. GOWK or not.

Yep. Probably with the exception of Bill's and my own crappy games at Chicago (lol), the events where top-players ran GOWK, he either finished 1st, or at least very close to the top, and the places where the top players ran different squads, their skill helped them past the others. So it's kind of nice to see it work out that way.

Cybit wrote:
Ironically, the same player got his full health Yobuck disintegrated in an earlier game, which led to the player doing the disintegration doing one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen do (these are two local players who know each other well, so there was mass taunting involved in the match), where the Boba player makes a mock blaster rifle with his hands, goes "BUH-BAAANG", and then mock blows out the smoke of his fake rifle. He then waits about 10 seconds, and mockingly kisses the rifle. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing after the mock kiss.

That's hysterical!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

We did 4 150 point events leading up to Regionals and we had more people practicing GOWK in those. They were all 12-16 players and were really competitive. Boba Cannon scared everyone in those. I think I was oneof like two players to beat them in the practice events. But almost every game people were getting multiple Big D's and this caused a bunch of players to switch to boba cannon at the last minute. The highest scoring player with boba cannon got 5th. Blake who normally pulls out alot of torunament wins ended up 4-2 i think. His yobuck ate the big D early and it was his jarjar who who gave the Big D to jack's Boba.

I honestly figured I would run in to more GOWK and didn't. I ran into 2 LV squads which is the opposite of what I was hoping for : ) In the 4 events leading up, I played GOWK every event and yobuck swap every event. In regionals I got niether and those were the two squads I prepared for most.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:15 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Cybit wrote:
(Also, there was a gran who had a ref's jersey painted onto him on another player's squad, which was also awesome).

You mean this one? :lol:

I've had him for awhile now, and was happy to get 4th using my unique Gran Raider...