logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Chicago Regional Results
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:57 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

TimmerB123 wrote:
It's true, GOWK simply couldn't be killed. I think I could eventually whittle him down, but I think you HAVE to kill everyone else first, or else they will be your doom. I spend most of the match killing everything else, there's just not enough time left to kill Gowk. I think it was it was a strategy that not alot of people thought of, but it worked.
Yep, it was a great strategy.

Remember, several of us long ago predicted the meta would be:
1. GOWK
2. GOWK - Counter
3. Non-GOWK Counter (beats the counters, doesn't beat GOWK, to beat GOWK must win the points game and ignore GOWK).

I think there were at least a few people who "thought of it". I even posted results from doing so a couple of months ago in a few of the test games. I was able to win quite a few times, by doing exactly what you did. I did it with Boba Merc (Intution/flight combo kept me alive, snowspeeder tests worked the same for me, and Boba MC worked in one - basically kill the support with accurate shot, and win the game with Boba 57 vs GOWK being 55). But the entire point was to simply survive for time (or score 55pts of gambit).

And by no means was I downplaying it. I just said what I did to preempt the inevitable "See this proves all the banners wrong" posts :) There is nothing wrong with any winning strategy in playing to win tournaments. I was commenting to show people what was wrong with the scenario that required you to do so :) But it was definately a good strategy choice.

TimmerB123 wrote:
As far as the Snowspeeder's damage - I actually only ended up 1 game with the Snowspeeder with 10 damage left (VS Matt). Deri got only 30 hp off it, but the reason it seemed dramatic was that Kyle Katarn could have tripled and killed him like 3 times (keep in mind he could have GREATER MOBILE tripled with wedge and the TBS vigo). Lou got some (was it 40?) damage on him. He had one nice YodaBuck run on me, but since I brought a bodyguard that game, he caused a little damage on almost everyone, but didn't kill anything but a few mouse droids and the bodyguard. As far as the Snowspeeder being damaged, that's it. All other matches I believe it was untouched. I think the only non-reinforcement character I lost all day was Juno Eclipse to Matt.
Ah yes, I forgot Deri needed the triple in that one, as I only saw the 2-3 rounds he was in base at the end. I remembered Matt had it at 10, but couldn't track it down (not sure there was much he could do that I could see at the point I watched - might have been more options earlier, didn't see it to say :)). And in Lou's I thought it was lower, I forgot you BGed the damage. Glad to see someone else sharing my love for the BG :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: Chicago Regional Results
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Yep, it was a great strategy.

Remember, several of us long ago predicted the meta would be:
1. GOWK
2. GOWK - Counter
3. Non-GOWK Counter (beats the counters, doesn't beat GOWK, to beat GOWK must win the points game and ignore GOWK).

I think there were at least a few people who "thought of it". I even posted results from doing so a couple of months ago in a few of the test games. I was able to win quite a few times, by doing exactly what you did. I did it with Boba Merc (Intution/flight combo kept me alive, snowspeeder tests worked the same for me, and Boba MC worked in one - basically kill the support with accurate shot, and win the game with Boba 57 vs GOWK being 55). But the entire point was to simply survive for time (or score 55pts of gambit).

And by no means was I downplaying it. I just said what I did to preempt the inevitable "See this proves all the banners wrong" posts :) There is nothing wrong with any winning strategy in playing to win tournaments. I was commenting to show people what was wrong with the scenario that required you to do so :) But it was definately a good strategy choice.

I certainly didn't mean to imply I was the first or only one to think of it. I simply seemed to be one of the few that attempted it at this tournament.

And - on a side note - as on of the founders and biggest supporters of TILE WARS - GOWK would wreck that format. It's a kill 'em all style - so my strategy here would be invalid! But, if (when) he gets booted in regular DCI, he goes in TILE WARS too. THANK GOODNESS! We built into the TILE WARS rules that all rules are the same as DCI except with the already noted exceptions. I'm judging TILE WARS at GenCon, and I will make sure to make it clear to any prospective players the GOWK is banned, if (when) he is.

billiv15 wrote:
Glad to see someone else sharing my love for the BG :)

Only used him against Lou. I felt I needed the activations and/or free gambit getters in the other games. Against Lou's speed demon team, I felt I needed the BG to protect the likes of Lobot, Juno, Rieekan and Dodonna. Certainly didn't need the activations against a 6 activation squad with no tempo control! My true love is Lobot, since he gives you that option.