logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: South East Regionals (Atlanta) Report
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:26 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Enjoy! (<-- clicky)

Sorry it took so long to get it up. I've been exhausted and I wanted it to look nice.

Congratulations to James for winning 1st place and a hearty Thank You from all of us in the Atlanta group to James and Lou for traveling down to play!

Two of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

You've managed to make a game that we all play, only for the enjoyment of the game, into something much, much bigger.

We all felt really, really honored to have you guys with us!!!

Post subject: Re: South East Regionals (Atlanta) Report
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Excellent report Chuck!!!!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wow...that tournament report is beautiful, Chuck. Nicely done!

I'm curious though how you only played 4 rounds yet ended up with only one person undefeated, since you started with 20 people. Unless a couple people dropped somewhere, so some really unfortunate match-ups occurred (where, for instance, a 2-0 vs 1-1 and the 2-0 person loses).

I'd be interested to know some more details about the GOBuck vs. NR game that Daniel Stephens played in Round 1. I know that's a tough matchup for that squad because of Disruptive and Kyp's Force Push. But I would think killing Kyp or the TBSV would be the first priority, and then after that, it's not nearly as difficult to come up with a win. Especially with the 28 square range of a towed Yobuck to still make 2 attacks on the Vigo and kill it. Even if Yobuck can't swap out after that, move GOWK up to R2 that same round, then tow up close to stand side-by-side with Yobuck. Hard to say though, as I haven't played it.

Also would be interesting to know which place the GOBuck player came in overall, as that would give a better idea of the player's skill level.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Aye. Gobuck can do some damage, but I've seen a miss at the wrong time doom a Yobuck squad very quickly. (My Thrawn laughs in the face of danger!) Missed a Gran, then a swap, Rage, Assault, Opportunist, my rolling, and one failed block later, dead Yobuck.

EDIT: Oh yeah, very beautifully done report! I think I'll try to steal some of those ideas for our tourney...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL James didn't face a single GOWK squad in all 4 rounds.

It's hard to justify banning the piece if no one is going to actually use it.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

nice report chuck. I am having trouble with the pictures though.

I think GOWK will show up at MO,Chicago,Cincinnati,Michigan. Ill be playing GOWK at Springfield.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cybit wrote:
Aye. Gobuck can do some damage, but I've seen a miss at the wrong time doom a Yobuck squad very quickly. (My Thrawn laughs in the face of danger!) Missed a Gran, then a swap, Rage, Assault, Opportunist, my rolling, and one failed block later, dead Yobuck.

LOL, yeah. That exact thing happened to me last week at the LGS w/ Yobuck. Luckily didn't cost me the game like your example above.

@ Boris: Yeah, I think it's extremely interesting that both fingersandteeth and jew3 managed to pull off Regional wins without having to face GOWK one time. At first I thought it was pretty unusual that it happened just the one time, but to see it twice dumb-founded me.

Then again, as some other people have said before, there's been so much hype around the piece, that a lot of people are just resorting to play the counters instead, and hope for the best in their non-GOWK matches. In addition, you still end up with a lot of people, like Jonathan (jhc36), who stuck to the factions they like best (Vong in this case). I actually thought it was pretty cool that jhc36 looked like he was playing the same squad he played at GenCon last year (Daniel Stephens 2nd round game, I'm guessing), and yet he finished 10th out of 20 people. Not bad for a squad with the Caamasi being the only piece newer than the A&E set. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Good report, but it leaves me wondering what the other 7 squads were.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:13 pm 
Flim
Flim

The reason for the four rounds is Echo24 (Daniel) played the 3-0 person in the 4th round (he was 2-1 at that point just losing to me). He won in round 4 leaving me the only undefeated person.

There were only 2 GOWK squads there. Greg beat Lou and Daniel beat the GObuck. The guy who played GObuck net-decked in every sense of the word. Daniel easily beat him because the other guy didn't know what to do. He had R2 next to Mas and Panaka for most of the game. And I think he failed to tow Yobuck.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm not knocking the other GOWK player but, in every game he played other than Daniels, he walked all over the other squads and, watching him play, I would say he was an average player at best. Same thing goes for Lou. All of his games were blow-outs, save his game against Greg in round 2.

The only reason that Lou placed 7th and the other GOWK player placed 6th is strength of schedule. Both players easily went 3-1 with GOWK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jew3 wrote:
The reason for the four rounds is Echo24 (Daniel) played the 3-0 person in the 4th round (he was 2-1 at that point just losing to me). He won in round 4 leaving me the only undefeated person.

Cool, I figured that's what happened. Lucky (and quite nice) break for you! :P

jew3 wrote:
The guy who played GObuck net-decked in every sense of the word. Daniel easily beat him because the other guy didn't know what to do. He had R2 next to Mas and Panaka for most of the game. And I think he failed to tow Yobuck.

OK, well that's good to know. Don't need to weigh that loss too heavily then. Interesting observations by Chuck though. Daniel was obviously a strong player, if his only loss was to James. And he was able to overcome the GOBuck squad due to lousy playing. But either the player with GOBuck learned a lot from those first two games, or that truly is a testament to GOWK's power, if he was making mistakes like not using Tow Cable, and still managed to finish 3-1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:53 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

good input Chuck,

Lou told me over the phone that the other Gowk player was...... well.... terrible.

HE said he was not a good player. When he told me that I thought ok so one Gowk squad had a bad day. Then Lou finished saying yeah he went 3-1.

I thought holy crap!!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dnemiller wrote:
good input Chuck,

Lou told me over the phone that the other Gowk player was...... well.... terrible.

HE said he was not a good player. When he told me that I thought ok so one Gowk squad had a bad day. Then Lou finished saying yeah he went 3-1.

I thought holy crap!!!!

Well, I didn't want to go so far as to call him terrible... but, yeah, he was terrible. :lol:

And, yeah, he came in 6th place and went 3-1 :roll:

BTW, I fixed the issue with the images so everything should now be in working order. I also corrected a few typos that I found and fixed some formatting issues that were bugging me. If anyone notices anything else, please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:46 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

LoboStele wrote:
Cybit wrote:
In addition, you still end up with a lot of people, like Jonathan (jhc36), who stuck to the factions they like best (Vong in this case). I actually thought it was pretty cool that jhc36 looked like he was playing the same squad he played at GenCon last year (Daniel Stephens 2nd round game, I'm guessing), and yet he finished 10th out of 20 people. Not bad for a squad with the Caamasi being the only piece newer than the A&E set. :)

hahahahahaha... yeah it's hard for me to ever leave that faction in competitive tournaments. :lol: I was hoping to play spoiler to the push teams... but alas, only saw one. I was defeated fairly easily by the NR disruption team. I had Kyp down to 40HP early, but after successful thud bug save by Kyle he was able to wipe out three of my adv. scouts and from there it was a pretty clean sweep. Perhaps with the new set I'll be better able to tweak out my squad.

I played the GOBUCK squad and made quite a few tactical errors and wasn't able to keep yoda from weaving around my scouts to get Yomin and after a swap for GOWK he was able to get to Nom. I almost pulled off killing him... getting him down to 30HP after one round, but Aurra couldn't pull off her shot. (which probably wouldn't have mattered anyways... I would have needed the dice gods on my side) Nom died. I lost. hahahahahahahaha... definately wasn't my best tactical game.

It was great event though, and I was happy to see the two dudes from Michigan down to play in the event. I had no idea that it was one of the guys I had faced off against at gencon (and lost...hahahahahah) ... Lou. So good times indeed. I was hoping to see another Yuuzhan Vong team there... but it seems that after three Regionals there's only been two.

I was surprised by the lack of GOWK there. I'm not sure how many push squads there were. Perhaps Chuck will put up everyone's squads on his site so I can see the breakdown of teams. I did see a couple cloaked mandos, a ss imperial team, a ss rebel team I believe, and two gungan teams. But don't quote me on that, I'm not completely sure.

Again... a great event.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:02 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I had a blast at the regional would of said something this morning but was dealing with wotc boards. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
I'd be interested to know some more details about the GOBuck vs. NR game that Daniel Stephens played in Round 1. I know that's a tough matchup for that squad because of Disruptive and Kyp's Force Push. But I would think killing Kyp or the TBSV would be the first priority, and then after that, it's not nearly as difficult to come up with a win. Especially with the 28 square range of a towed Yobuck to still make 2 attacks on the Vigo and kill it. Even if Yobuck can't swap out after that, move GOWK up to R2 that same round, then tow up close to stand side-by-side with Yobuck. Hard to say though, as I haven't played it.

Also would be interesting to know which place the GOBuck player came in overall, as that would give a better idea of the player's skill level.

As other people have said, the GOBuck player wasn't really good. He towed Yobuck once the whole game, on the first round. I don't think he ever towed GOWK, maybe once. R2 did little to nothing that game. He did rush my Vigo, killing him fairly easily. It wasn't hard for me to just go all-out and throw everyone at Yobuck, bringing him down to 10 HP. I also got Gambit every round, he only bothered to get it a couple of times. He also used a lot of GOWK's force points on movement, so even though I barely ever attacked GOWK, I'm fairly confident that had the game continued another 10 minutes or so I could have taken him out.

The only reason my game with him was even as close as it was was that I didn't win initiative until at least round 5 or 6, and a few key misses from Kyp (that seemed to be my bane that day, 10 ATK REALLY doesn't do much :lol: ). A number of times I had Kyp or Kyle (or both) basing a low-HP Yobuck, and winning initiative would have meant putting enough damage on him that AoOs would kill him. His biggest mistake, though, was forgetting that Kyle had Grip. He took out a good chunk of my squad (although Kyle had taken only one or two hits I think), but once I got Yobuck down to 10 HP, it was just a matter of moving into position to Grip it to death and take the lead.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

jew3 wrote:
The guy who played GObuck net-decked in every sense of the word. Daniel easily beat him because the other guy didn't know what to do. He had R2 next to Mas and Panaka for most of the game. And I think he failed to tow Yobuck.

It wasn't net-decked. Lack of internet access being one reason.

For purposes of analyzing GOWK...

He was a fairly good DDM player (won a couple qualifiers, made the cut to top 8 in sealed championships) when he wasn't judging DDM. The Charlotte DDM group generally played tier 1.5 or tier 2 throughout the year and tier 1 for two or three tournaments prior to qualifiers. When we went to qualifiers, we knew our armies well, our maps well, and had a solid read on the meta.

By contrast, our SWM group plays tier 2 or tier 3 throughout the year. Half our players are 8-14 years old. We ran one tier 1 tournament a week before the regional. He got a bye, beat an 11 year old, and beat me (I net-decked a GOWK/JWM/Dash army for him to practice against). Before heading to Atlanta on Friday, he was still thinking about what map to borrow from me for the tournament. His info on the meta was second hand from myself and someone else.

Having played SWM with him for the last couple years, I can testify that he is clearly an above average player. But not being familiar with his army, his map, or the meta he becomes an average opponent in a major tournament (I think Sun Tzu has something to say about that ;) ).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I believe it's safe to put this out here now, in case anyone is interested in the blow-by-blow of the tournament:

http://www.atlantaswg.com/files/regiona ... report.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:47 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nivuahc wrote:
I believe it's safe to put this out here now, in case anyone is interested in the blow-by-blow of the tournament:

Woah dude....nice.

Did you have people fill those out as you were going, or did you just generate them after the fact using the squad registration sheets and the round-by-round report from the DCI software?

This reminds me...I need to make sure our LGS has all that nifty stuff you created for our Regional tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Nivuahc wrote:

Woah dude....nice.

Did you have people fill those out as you were going, or did you just generate them after the fact using the squad registration sheets and the round-by-round report from the DCI software?

This reminds me...I need to make sure our LGS has all that nifty stuff you created for our Regional tomorrow!

I had everyone fill them in prior to paying at the register with the intent of scanning them all in afterwards. The scans, however, didn't work out very well because half of the players wrote so lightly that it just looked like blank forms so I opened the master document and filled them all iin. The report following each registration sheet was done by going through the DCI report and copy/pasting each opponents name/squad into the appropriate place.

EDIT: Here's a blank registration form if you want it: http://www.swmrac.org/files/swm_srf.pdf