logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 pts. Lynnwood, WA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:37 am 
General
General

I recently moved out here, and this was my first tournament outside of Kalamazoo, MI. My wife and I were expecting a 200 point tournament, so when we got there and found out it was 150, we had to create 150 pt. versions of our 200 pt. squads in a hurry.

Only 4 people showed up, and they don't play gambit rules, so it was more just for fun.

My squad:
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
Mara Jade, Jedi
Talon Karrde
Gran Raider
Ugnaught Demolitionist

My wife's squad:
Luke Skywalker, Champion of the Force
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
Princess Leia
C-3PO and R2-D2

TenEyedMan's squad:
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
Clone Commander Gree
Wookiee Freedom Fighter x6
R2-D2, Astromech Droid
Wicket
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Gailbraithe's squad:
General Grievous, Supreme Commander
Wat Tambor
Bodyguard Droid
Super Battle Droid Commander
R5 Astromech Droid
Super Battle Droids
Battle Droids

Round 1 vs. Gailbraithe:
We played on the Chancellor's Starship, I took left. It was weird playing without Gambit. He spread his droids out in the upper hallway with all the damaged flooring. I ran Luke up through the central rooms and sent Mara and Talon up the middle hallway to flank him. With all the combined, synchronized fire, he was able to hit Luke with most of his shots--especially a couple 30 damage hits from the SBD Commander, and I failed most of my Deflect saves. But he just couldn't put damage out (or repair) fast enough to stop Mara and Luke from mowing down the droids. I don't think I lost anybody, and he conceded when he just had Wat and a Battle Droid left.
So I was 1-0.

Round 2 vs. TenEyedMan:
We played in the Ravaged Base. He had won the first round against my wife (who had never played in a tournament before, and had never played the squad she ended having to play because it was 150). Gailbraithe left after the first round, so she just watched my game with TenEyedMan.
I didn't have any accurate shot, so Wicket and R2 were both allowed to be much more effective than they normally are. He basically split his forces to have all the WFFs attack Luke (with -4 defense from Wicket) while everyone else went after Mara and Talon. The first initiative where we both had Recon, he won and was able to kill Talon that round. He then won the next 3 or 4 initiatives until Mara was dead. I've never seen her be so ineffective at dealing damage. One round, I missed both my twin attacks (with a reroll) against Quinlan when I only needed 5s to hit. Luke meanwhile kept hacking through wookiees. He (miraculously) made every single Deflect when they charged, so he was only able to do 10 damage to me at a time once they had based me. Eventually Luke finished off the wookiees (and finally Wicket!) right around the time Mara died. So it was R2, a wounded Gree, and a wounded Quinlan against a wounded Luke. He flew Quinlan in for a Double Attack on Luke, then lost his Recon-boosted initiative and Luke was able to finish off Quinlan first. It was a very close and fun game.

So I went 2-0 and won the Gotal Imperial Assassin promo. Luke and Mara really make an effective team. I think it's not that Mara makes Luke better, it's that Luke is the only NR fig that can really take a beating--thereby taking some of the heat off of Mara (which she desperately needs). I'd like to play them together again against some other squads and see how they perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Great tourney, too bad about the bad rolls with mara, it happens sometimes, but you still won though. Well played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:38 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm sad I couldn't go.

I might be there this week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:43 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Fool wrote:
This is awesome Shinja!

My cousin and I play (not DCI) and I'm glad to see some fun squads brought to the table!

General Freakin' Grievous!?!? Are you KIDDING ME!!! :D

Wicked!

General Grievous Supreme Commander isn't too bad of a piece, he's great with COTF crab droids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Man I am sorry I missed that one. Sounded like a lot of fun!

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo