logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:01 am 
General
General

punxnbutter wrote:
emr131 wrote:
No good music exists after the '80s. Well, certain exceptions exist, but yeah... give me classic rock any day!

that's not truel you just have to dig through an extra 20 layers of junk since the early 90's. In fact I'll say that most music is contrived and corporate junk past the late 60's. Disco almost killed music for everyone.

Hey!! I have always said that you can disco to any tune. I even proved it at my HS Prom (way back when). The DJ opened with a bunch of hip-hop songs to a very redneck school. After the third song of the same empty dance floor, I got out there and strut my stuff. Pretty funny and others joined in, looked like a horrible rendition of Saturday Night Fever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:20 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

This past Saturday after work my best friend Eric needed someone to go up to Austin to check out the 2 Gallants show, I was exhausted from that whole work week but I said what the hell and we were off up I-35 for the hour drive to the show.

[spoiler]Image

This is a shot of the first band that came on called Songs For Mom. Most opening acts really don't catch my attention but thier brand of indie/girl punk/rockabilly had me going straight to the merch booth after the second song to buy thier cd (only 7 bucks), plus I knew my girlfriend would love it.

2 Gallants took the stage and I was kinda regreting having that vodka tonic and pack of cigarettes coz I was feeling kinda crappy after all that. This 2 piece band has some of the most soulful music/lyrics/vocals that I've heard from a band today. I really recommend giving them a listen.

Here's another pic of them, the venue was fantastic and it was a beautiful night in Austin to boot. I really need to get a digital camera though, in case you haven't noticed I use nothing but disposable cameras, LoL. I'm poor like that. Again, I really recommend giving them a listen, and if they are ever in your town, check them out. 2 Gallants.[/img][/spoiler]

If the spoilers don't work check out my myspace blog, if you wish.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=30977823&blogID=319201660

Last edited by Goat on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have been listening to a couple of local AZ bands

Trophy Husbands
The Revenants

They are alt-country which isn't normally my thing, but I really like these guys.

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Got to go see Minus the Bear this past Friday in Austin (big thanks to punxbutter for introducing them to me!) Pretty good show, could of done without the mass of emo kids in the crowd though. Here are a few shots, as always, not the best ;)

[spoiler]Image

All in all it was good fun, Minus the Bear are very talented musicians. Nothing could prepare me for the next night though, a concert that would turn out to be the best I've ever been to.. posting it soon so look out for some crazy japanse punk rock show pics ;)[/spoiler]

If those spoilers don't work check out my blog here

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=30977823&blogID=321282972

Last edited by Goat on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:46 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Some of my favorite bands:

Wilco, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Neko Case, Modest Mouse, The Cure, Belle & Sebastian, Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs, Siouxsie Sioux, Sarah McLachlan, Fionna Apple, Kate Bush, Tool, Type O Negative, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, King Missle, Ween, Van Der Graf Generator, Hawkwind, Helios Creed, Blue Oyster Cult, Alan Parson Project, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Kraftwerk, Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets, New Order and the best band that ever walked the earth: JOY DIVISION.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Disclaimer: I appolgize in advance for the length of this post, it's infact gonna be probably the last one I post for a show for a very long while because I'm gonna be really busy over the next, lets just say 2/3 years. I hope you guys enjoy this post though :)

10/20/07 Sams Burger Joint , San Antonio, Texas. I attended the greatest show of my life. The band .. PEELANDER-Z. For those who know them major props, for those who don't well its tough to describe, lets just say they are "japanese action punk rock" and put on the greatest rock show with crowd interaction and overall fun that I've ever experinced or even heard of. This was my second time seeing them.. so this time I came dressed up and prepared...

[spoiler]Image

The guitarist Peelander Yellow

On bass Peelander Red

On drums, my fave (who I came in a wrestling theme outfit because of this guy) Peelander Blue!

I got pulled up on stage several times by the lead singer, this picture I was doing the "health dance".

This band gets everyone involved. They've evolved their shows over the years where they basically play like 5 songs, strech them out and do the craziest stuff on stage. They let everyone on stage, they always use signs and when they are ready for human bowling (I wish I had gotten pics of this) they get memember from the audience to play the instruments, just making noise the whole time while they do their act in the crowd.

My fave pic, these guys are the nicest guys in the world. After the show they're tired and putting away thier own equipment and I ask Blue if I can pose with him for a picture and he agrees with out hesitation, they all even sign my little Tag Champ belt (my friend wore the other I got for him). If peelander-z ever comes to your town I urge you to check them out. Most shows are 8 bucks, and its just pure fun. If you want to check out a little bit more about them I found a video that has me in and my gf in the front row at the show, its posted on my myspace, and I have a blog that goes more in depth about them as well on my page, myspace.com/icarusashes .

This will be my last show for a while for I am starting my second job on top of my fulltime job so I definately went out with a bang. But next time Peelander comes to town I will be there, in full wrestling atire this time :)[/spoiler]

Spoilers probably aren't working so I command you, by the POWER OF GREYSKULL, TO CHECK OUT THE GREATEST BLOG IN THE HISTORY..of.. well my blogs.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=30977823&blogID=321371398

Last edited by Goat on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Thanks man.. acutally just did this reply to see our pics side by side lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm 
General
General

homer_sapien wrote:
Menoth's Fire wrote:
Jill Tracy - any

I've been trying to download a song of hers for a long time.

List here:
http://www.jilltracy.com/

there are also videos on youtube. I remember seeing "The Fine Art of Poisoning" there, at least.

PS - any chance you guys could wrap spoiler tags around those rediculously large pix?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:59 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Menoth's Fire wrote:

PS - any chance you guys could wrap spoiler tags around those rediculously large pix?!

That's why I wrote the disclaimer at the start of the post and appologized for its length, I didn't think it would be a problem though. Perhaps just hitting page down till I get that spoiler thingy working for you will suffice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:38 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

OKay I hid all my pics, I appologize to those it may of affected, the perfomance of the site and what not while looking at this thread. I'm not sure why the spoiler links aren't working so I'll just post links to my myspace blog under each one till I get it sorted. Sorry again guys!

Last edited by Goat on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:54 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

oh and 1 last thing..

The Goat Strongly Recommends

Make Sure they See My Face by Kenna

or his first album New Sacred Cow

I'm not much of a hip-hop fan but his music is truly soulful and a breath of fresh air. Infact it really isn't hip-hop, he never really does "rap", its tough to describe. I'll just say its really good music :D Definately not what you hear on radio. I wish I could go see him in Austin this coming weekend but gotta work :(

Check out some of his music if you get the chance

http://www.myspace.com/kenna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:02 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

The amazing sixfootoneder recommends:

Sell Out! and She's got a girlfriend now---by Reel Big Fish

Anything here: http://www.myspace.com/jacksparrowandth ... heuniverse

and

Going to California, The Ocean, When the Levee Breaks, Rainsong, and Over the Hills and Far Away---by the greatest band in the world WHO IS ALSO GETTING BACK TOGETHER FOR A SHOW IN ENGLAND!!!!!!! minus their dead drummer :(---Led Zeppelin.

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:17 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

sixfootoneder wrote:

and

Going to California, The Ocean, When the Levee Breaks, Rainsong, and Over the Hills and Far Away---by the greatest band in the world WHO IS ALSO GETTING BACK TOGETHER FOR A SHOW IN ENGLAND!!!!!!! minus their dead drummer :(---Led Zeppelin.

Is Jack Sparrow and the Masters of the Universe your band? I'm digging that guitar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:

and

Is Jack Sparrow and the Masters of the Universe your band? I'm digging that guitar

I wouldn't really call it a band, but yes, it's me playing my guitar. One day at the Oklahoma Church of God State Youth Convention, me and two other guys in the picture started walking around and I played my guitar and got people to give me money. One of the others guys tried to lure people in, and the other one carried my guitar around for me, so we called ourselves and band. I'm Master of the Universe Number one. I'm working on a ska song with more than just random guitar stuff to put up.

Grambo wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

whilst we're on the topic of shows, the best show ever was the Tooth and Nail tour at Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, OK, headlined by...

MxPx
also featuring Hawk Nelson, the Classic Crime, Sullivan, and The Fold. It was sweet. Cain's ballroom is little, so everyone was close to the stage, no seats. I was sore the next day from moshing. I got to meet MxPx afterwards. :D

Grambo wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:47 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

sixfootoneder wrote:
Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:

and

I wouldn't really call it a band, but yes, it's me playing my guitar. One day at the Oklahoma Church of God State Youth Convention, me and two other guys in the picture started walking around and I played my guitar and got people to give me money. One of the others guys tried to lure people in, and the other one carried my guitar around for me, so we called ourselves and band. I'm Master of the Universe Number one. I'm working on a ska song with more than just random guitar stuff to put up.

Much respect man! I've been playing guitar on and on for I guess 10 years but it's been more like 5 because there were periods of time where I didn't touch my guitar at all. I'm pretty much self taught, I'm not the best but I love to write songs, I haven't written in a while. But I'll just say this, you've inspired me to create a music page on myspace once I get some of my stuff recorded (my best friend has some cool recording equipment) maybe even do a collabration with him because a 1000 times more talented then myself. I'll add your music page to my friends list too, if thats cool :) You're really talented man and I love the style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:58 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:
Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:

and

Much respect man! I've been playing guitar on and on for I guess 10 years but it's been more like 5 because there were periods of time where I didn't touch my guitar at all. I'm pretty much self taught, I'm not the best but I love to write songs, I haven't written in a while. But I'll just say this, you've inspired me to create a music page on myspace once I get some of my stuff recorded (my best friend has some cool recording equipment) maybe even do a collabration with him because a 1000 times more talented then myself. I'll add your music page to my friends list too, if thats cool :) You're really talented man and I love the style.

sweet, thx.

I play piano about like you play guitar (I've played since I was 5 and had about 3 years of lessons. I'm 17 now), except i just started lessons again. I've played guitar for about 3 and a half years now, the first 1.5 with lessons and the last 2 months with lessons. I love playing it, though. With piano, practicing is a chore, but with guitar it's just something I do all the time. Right now I'm trying to learn "Overture 1928" by Dream Theater. IT'S FREAKING INSANE!!!!!! I was thinking to myself "oh, joy, I'm actually getting good at this run" then I listened to the song again and I was playing about 3/4 speed at my best. :( John Petrucci is awesome.

Grambo wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

sixfootoneder wrote:
Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:
Goat wrote:
sixfootoneder wrote:

and

sweet, thx.

I play piano about like you play guitar (I've played since I was 5 and had about 3 years of lessons. I'm 17 now), except i just started lessons again. I've played guitar for about 3 and a half years now, the first 1.5 with lessons and the last 2 months with lessons. I love playing it, though. With piano, practicing is a chore, but with guitar it's just something I do all the time. Right now I'm trying to learn "Overture 1928" by Dream Theater. IT'S FREAKING INSANE!!!!!! I was thinking to myself "oh, joy, I'm actually getting good at this run" then I listened to the song again and I was playing about 3/4 speed at my best. :( John Petrucci is awesome.
Man I just recently got into Dream Theater, the new album is absoultely sick. Its metal/prog bliss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

hmmmmm I like the new Saves the Day album, figured I'd throw that out there for you all to chew one :)

They had gone major 2 albums back and put out a shite album but their last 2 (inluding this one) have been good. Chris Conley has a high pitched voice but the music isn't too sissy to rock. Lyrics are macabre and a bit silly sometimes, but the melodies are tight. They used to sound a lot like Lifetime, with influences from melodic hardcore that gradually branched out their sound.

This is the 2nd album in a trilogy that appears to follow the lead singer's decent into madness from releasing such a crap album a few years ago :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:48 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Volume II: No World For Tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is awesome.

Grambo wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next