logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM OP support in 2009 from Moses2813
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moses2813 wrote:
I would like to take the opportunity to announce that Wizards of the Coast is providing Star Wars Miniatures prize support for the following large conventions in 2009:

• Origins, 6/25 – 6/28
• San Diego Comi Con, 7/23 – 7/26
• Wizard World Chicago, 8/6 – 8/9
• GenCon, 8/13 – 8/16
• Dragon Con, 9/4 – 9/7
• PAX, 9/4 – 9/6

Each convention will be supported with product prize support and will have an emphasis on new player development along with competitive events for experienced player enjoyment. Each of these conventions will have a point person to lead the Star Wars Miniature events. More information will be coming soon for each of these conventions.

In addition, Wizards of the coast will support smaller conventions during the 2009 year. Please contact me (PM – Moses2813, email - JFraser756@hotmail.com). These conventions will get listed on the Wizards of the Coast website. Below are smaller conventions that have contacted me for support. My apologies to the smaller conventions that I missed so far this year.

• SpoCon, 7/31 – 8/2, Spokan, WA. PM Ben @ guitarded
• Galacticon, 5/9, Virginia Beach, PM Matt@ Jedicartographer

As you know, monthly LGS support (league kits) was not in the budget for 2009. I know that you will join me is my effort to have that decision reconsidered for 2010. The best way we can help ourselves in this effort is to continue to report events through the DCI webpage. Now that we have a casual play option, we, as a player community can demonstrate the level of player involvement for Star Wars miniatures.

Post subject: Re: SWM OP support in 2009 from Moses2813
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wow, awesome! I may make it down to Dragon*Con this year (that's the plan, anyways), so hopefully I'll get to participate in whatever they plan for that! Go Jim!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:14 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
Wow, awesome! I may make it down to Dragon*Con this year (that's the plan, anyways), so hopefully I'll get to participate in whatever they plan for that! Go Jim!

Yeah, make sure you go in your Mando gear otherwise you'll look like a freak :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL, too true. Luckily, I have a horde of costumes, including the Mando/RC stuff, so I fit in just fine at D*C. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Seriously? Wizards is coming back to San Diego Comic Con?

Well, I regret my decision to quit going after last year then, and the the 4-day passes are already sold out :x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yay! SWM at DragonCon! I'll be there for sure.

Aaron...you wear your armor :boba: , I'll wear mine :scoutT: ! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:10 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Xffan_2000 wrote:
Yay! SWM at DragonCon!

It's about time, isn't it?

I'm still waiting to hear back from DragonCon regarding the particulars of everything so I am, at this time, reluctant to release an event schedule. If everything goes as planned, though, I can promise you that I'll have lots of things available for everyone and (again, if everything goes as planned) we'll be holding a 'DragonCon Championship' event with some pretty terrific prize support (most likely on Sunday).

Once I get everything nailed down with DragonCon, and once I get approval from Moses on the list of events, I'll be making an announcement on the Wizards site, here, and on our website (clicky image in my sig).

- Chuck

P.S. If you have any questions (that I am able to answer, of course) or suggestions for things that you would like to see at DragonCon, please feel free to send me an email (chuck@atlantaswg.com) and we can discuss it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:08 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Nivuahc wrote:
Xffan_2000 wrote:
Yay! SWM at DragonCon!

It's about time, isn't it?

You've got that right! :P DragonCon is where I first discovered SWM. Waaaaay back when RS first came out I found it in the dealer's room. It had literally *just* been released.

There was one year...I think it was 2005...that there was a single 100-point DCI tournament for SWM. And that's been it. I've asked them every year since then to do something. They even turned it back on me once saying I could run it. :roll:

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear back from DragonCon regarding the particulars of everything so I am, at this time, reluctant to release an event schedule. If everything goes as planned, though, I can promise you that I'll have lots of things available for everyone and (again, if everything goes as planned) we'll be holding a 'DragonCon Championship' event with some pretty terrific prize support (most likely on Sunday).

Awesome!!!! I look forward to whatever you have planned.

Not that I can commit to too much time, but I am willing to lend a hand if you need it. And I'm MORE than looking forward to getting to play SWM, so I will definitely make time to be there for at least one event.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Xffan_2000 wrote:
There was one year...I think it was 2005...that there was a single 100-point DCI tournament for SWM. And that's been it. I've asked them every year since then to do something. They even turned it back on me once saying I could run it. :roll:

That was 2006, first time that we made it to D*C. And first time I got to play against you, in which you promptly cleaned my clock. I was pretty new to the game then, but I had a blast! The wife and I are trying to make it to D*C again this year, so I'll definitely be interested in whatever you're able to come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

LoboStele wrote:
That was 2006, first time that we made it to D*C. And first time I got to play against you, in which you promptly cleaned my clock. I was pretty new to the game then, but I had a blast!

Ah...2006. Okay. I knew it was a long time ago, whatever year it was. :P

I remember you playing against that guy with the Vong squad that had 150 (or was it 200?) points instead of 100. I still can't believe that NOBODY noticed until we were all sitting around wondering what was taking so long and us observers started counting points and said, "Hey! That guy's got waaaay too many points!" :lol:

And yes, I did beat you at that tournament, but you've had a couple opportunities at GenCon to trounce me. (Okay, maybe not trounce, but you've definitely beaten me.)

But it's always fun!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Xffan_2000 wrote:
I remember you playing against that guy with the Vong squad that had 150 (or was it 200?) points instead of 100. I still can't believe that NOBODY noticed until we were all sitting around wondering what was taking so long and us observers started counting points and said, "Hey! That guy's got waaaay too many points!" :lol:

LOL, yeah, it was a 200 point squad. Never occurred to me to count it up, as I'd only been playing about 4 months at that point. I think I barely knew who the Vong characters were (from the books) let alone how many points they cost or anything like that. Towards the end of the game it was my Vader JH with Warmaster Lah and 7 Vong Warriors surrounding him, LOL. Was a race to see how long it would take to fail Dark Armor saves. :P I was glad that somebody finally pointed out the point difference. Let's just say that was an eye opening experience for me, and I was quite careful to count up an opponent's points from then on. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:11 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm cleaning up the schedule and submitting it to Moses for his stamp of approval but I can tell you this much:

If you want to play SWM at DragonCon, I can keep you busy from Friday morning through Monday afternoon. And, whatever you do, you do NOT want to miss out on the 150 point tournament on (as of right now, may get moved a day earlier) Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:23 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Nivuahc wrote:
If you want to play SWM at DragonCon, I can keep you busy from Friday morning through Monday afternoon.

Wow! That's a lot of events! Now you've got me both excited by the prospect of so many options and saddened that I won't be able to make all the games because of all the other stuff I do at D*C. :P

What to do? :r2line: What to do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Bump!! We're less than a month away here, and I know I went hunting for this thread the other day, and now I see other people are as well. So, here's all the info!