All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM GenCon 2009 organization thread from Moses2813
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moses2813 wrote:
SWM GenCon 2009 organization thread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s that time again everyone! It’s GenCon 2009 and Pastimes will again be the event manager for Star Wars Miniatures, and I have again been given the honor of heading the team that will oversee the Star Wars Miniature events at the convention. GeCon 2009 will have some added interest this year with the return of the US National Championship.

Below is a listing of the events that will be offered this year. Once again, I should keep you fairly busy during the entire weekend.

Thursday, Aug 13, 9am. 150 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Thursday, Aug 13, 3pm. 200 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Thursday, Aug 13, 6pm. Clone Wars Mass Battle
Friday, Aug 15, 9am. Clone Wars Mass Battle
Friday, Aug 15, 10am. 100 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Friday, Aug 15, 4pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament
Friday, Aug 15, 4pm. AT/AT Hoth Challenge
Friday, Aug 15, 6pm. Team tournament event
Friday, Aug 15, 10pm. Tile Wars tournament
Saturday, Aug 16, 10am. US National Championship 150 point, swiss rounds only
Saturday, Aug 16, 3 pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament
Saturday, Aug 16, 8pm. Dynamic Duo tournament
Sunday, Aug 17, 9am. US National Championship 150 point finals – Top 8
Sunday, Aug 17, 11am. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament

As with last year, all of the tournaments with the exception of the Championship event on Saturday, the AT-AT Hoth battle, and the Clone Wars battles will be capped at 4 rounds of Swiss and those players will undefeated records and only 1 loss will receive prize support. Please plan on a commitment of 5 hours for each of these tournaments. Please note that all tournaments follow faction rules (exception will be the sealed events). You will again notice that the first three events are Jedi Challenge events. These tournaments will all be stand alone tournaments but the player that scores the most points over the combined three events will receive special prize support and recognition.

New this year will be the Team event that will go off on Friday evening. Three man teams will combine their talents to challenge other teams. Each player in a team will build a 200pt DCI legal squad from a different faction. Unique characters of the same name can be used in your squad build as long as each player is playing a different faction. Each team will register their squads as one squad list. Each team member will face a challenger from another team. Figures from all expansions are legal for this event and the current tournament and floor rules will be in effect. Props to Jason Bell for play testing the event late last year. In addition, there will be a Clone Wars Mass Battle that will be a great opportunity for both experienced and new players to play and learn the game in a competitive environment. The Mass Battle was developed by Dennis Beard and looks to be a great deal of fun.

The US National Championship will be the main event on Saturday. As we did last year, the final 8 players will play off on Sunday morning. I do plan on a food/Oxygen break during the swiss rounds of this event and I will be again providing a special die for the tournament. All current DCI rules will be effect for this event.

In addition to the above events we will again be having league play during the convention.
League play is listed to begin at11 am and wrapping up each day at 8pm (Sunday at 3pm). It will begin on Thursday and run throughout the convention. You will receive two boosters and will put together a 100 point squad to play against other league players. Please bring a Star Wars Miniature map with you for league play. When 3 league play matchs are completed, both players will approach the league play table and roll a number of dice based on the number of victories that you had. You will receive a mini corresponding to your highest roll that is then added (if you want) to your pool of minis that make up your 100 point army. There will be no additional prize support for league other than the mini you receive after each match. Also as part of league play and “if” time permits, I will be making some selected challenges and will have some small fun prize packages if defeated!!

We again this year will have a custom miniature contest. Last year brought a number of interesting entries and I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with this year. Please bring your entries to the league table by Saturday at 10am to be considered for prize support!!

Pastimes’ goal is that all players have a positive GenCon 2009 experience. Please remember to bring your DCI number with you as well as the appropriate maps for tournament play. Also, please remember to register early for each event (30-40 minutes before start time). You will again be required to fill out a team roster. This will allow staff to get the event started on time. Prize support will be the latest Star Wars Miniature product (Jedi Academy at this time). We are working on some interesting additional prize support for the events at GenCon 2009. I will try to reveal as much as I can before we get there in August. For those that will be coming to your first GenCon, I am hoping that Jason Tanner puts up a guide that I put together for the Holocon website. Check it out, I hope it will help.

PS I don't have any rights in this area to sticky and don't know if this is where we want this so someone can move this later

Post subject: Re: SWM GenCon 2009 organization thread from Moses2813
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sounds like it should be a great weekend Moses - Now where does food a sleep fit into those four days?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
Sounds like it should be a great weekend Moses - Now where does food a sleep fit into those four days?

LOL, that's always the challenge!! We found it was easiest to hit a Subway or something similar in the morning before heading to the convention center, and just buy a foot long sub. Then you could eat it whenever necessary throughout the day. Of course, that didn't always work, but it was a nice option. Usually though, there's about an hour or so between the major events, so plenty of time to run and grab some grub over at the mall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have created the GenCon tournaments as events on Facebook incase anyone is interested.

Thursday, Aug 13, 9am. 150 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge

Thursday, Aug 13, 3pm. 200 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge

Thursday, Aug 13, 6pm. Clone Wars Mass Battle

Friday, Aug 14, 9am. Clone Wars Mass Battle

Friday, Aug 14, 10am. 100 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge

Friday, Aug 14, 4pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament

Friday, Aug 14, 4pm. AT/AT Hoth Challenge

Friday, Aug 14, 6pm. Team tournament event Friday, Aug 14, 10pm. Tile Wars tournament

Friday, Aug 14, 10pm. Tile Wars tournament

Saturday, Aug 15, 10am. US National Championship 150 point, swiss rounds only

Saturday, Aug 15, 3 pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament

Saturday, Aug 15, 8pm. Dynamic Duo tournament

Sunday, Aug 16, 9am. US National Championship 150 point finals – Top 8

Sunday, Aug 16, 11am. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:05 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hopefully we can find some time and space for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc