logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 3/18 Sealed Monster's Den Mpls MN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well this is going to be more about the drama then the actual playing which is sad. :( So, anyway like I have stated in the past I pretty much can only make it this far away for the release events which sucks cause the guys here are really fun to play with. This is a situation where one guy kinda rules the roost and the TO at the store is always running magic events, so he lets him do what he wants. They don't care much for DCI here and mostly do quirky kill em all type events. We also normally do 150 2 boosters and NOTHING happens til the one dude shows up. Finally around 7:40 he arrives (was suppose to begin at 7:00). We start talking about the set and I bring up what he was thinking for points and say I will do whatever, but it seams that 120 works pretty well and if we do 150 then a lot of guys are going to come up short. I also at this time notice 2 guys who don't normally go here, but have seen at other release events over the years and who are the "I'm preparing for Gencon" type guys, so with this crowd I am already forseeing trouble. So, after a whole lot of "I don't care what do you want to do?" (This happens ALOT in MN :P ) We end up going with 125 points 2 boosters kill em all. Now I have a problem with this with 2 override pieces in the set, but don't make waves and am just happy we all agreed on something.

So here we go 125 pts 2 boosters killem all with 10 people.

I open Thrawn and Arica. I am pretty stoked at this and become even more when I look at the guys next to me with Logray and Lobot and another guy has Luke RC and Kyp. Another guy across from me has Xizor and Lobot.

I go with 124 pts. Only 6 activations which I am not happy with, but lots of cunning and Opp with MT is OK with me. I go with new Muunilist for my map.

Arica
Thrawn
Chiss Merc
Bothan Commando
Jawa
Twilek Vigo

1st round I play against someone new who has Luke RC, Pathfinder, Duros, other scrubs. He tried attacking my 2 pieces with stealth with non accurate shooters and we had a couple conversations about what cover was, so I took it easy on him. After wiping out his entire squad I got up to notice that I was the only one done (and we played about 40 minutes) so I looked around. To my dismay the "Gencon" boys each have an R2. The one guy has R2 and Vader going against the guy who had Xizor and Lobot and he just went with Lobot and scrubs. They are on the Rancor map and the Vader/R2 guy has his whole squad in the room. I notice NO ONE has died in the match and think for a moment maybe I missed the 2nd round pairing already?!? Nope the guy with Vader/R2 is playing door games and not moving anyone. I am stunned. Then I go to the next table and the other guy with R2 is on Death Star with his whole squad. The other guy has only Vader left and is trying to get in the room. The guy with Vader is PISSED. At this point it is like 8:40 and I am thinking wow for CW's I was home by 11:30 yikes! Then the wanna TO guy says Time for the Rd and to add up kill points. I am like what the hell? Now we are playing for points cause of time WITH NO GAMBIT, so the R2 idiots can just plink a scrub and override for an hour. This is no good.
1-0

2nd round. I get the guy with R2 on Deathstar. He get map roll and now I have to chase him across the map because he has 12 activations and they are just turning in place. I get there and figure if I can just get off a BB with Arica I should be good to go and with swap I should be able to get a door open. I am able to do it and kill 4 scrubs. He has the sand trooper officer and a Chiss so he is able to combine fire and hit Arica back for 60. I know if Arica dies then I am going to have to kill all his dudes. I also can sacrifice my Jawa to shoot at R2 with +8 for 30 against his 19D. I decide to retreat with the lead to the middle of the map and make him come out of the room and chase me. This was the first of 2 bad decisions on my part. Next round I have Jawa and Arica each on cover. He has the Jawa opening the door in cover and 6 guys to combine with, but the Jawa is his only accurate piece. My choices are to hit his Jawa with mine and combine with Arica and risk her being dead or take a regular shot with cunning with the Jawa and snipe with Mara on some scrubs and hide her behind the wall. I choose to combine needing a 7 and promptly roll a 1. Argh! Arica dies and he retreats back into the room with R2 locking. I have to go back AGAIN and try to get in the damn room and miss alot and it is over.
1-1

At then end of this round I hear a guy screaming at the Vader/R2 dude about just using force choke and hiding and I think they almost came to blows. This is sad and funny to me at the same time.

3rd round I am matched up with the guy who got Xizor and Lobot, but is playing Lobot, 2 Jawas, Duros, TBSV, Pathfinder, Whipid, Stomtrooper, Snowtrooper, Veteran Commando, more scrubs. I win map. Half his squad has stealth, so I know I must keep Jawa alive to be my MVP. I spend the next couple of rounds taking out the non stealth and soon it is my whole squad against his Whipid, Pathfinder, Vet, Jawas, TBSV. I then close within 6 and finish the rest. This is a great guy who knows all the rules, but needs more playtime I think. He also realized he hadn't been using the Pathfinder with the mobile the whole day at the end of our game. Was fun though.
2-1

On a side not throughout my match the one guy was taunting the Vader/R2 guy relentlessy for the entire hour. :lol:

So, now it comes to the picks. They open 3 boosters Dash, Luke RC, (a rare I missed who it was). I look at the sheet and I am 8th out of 10?!? I am like how is that possible. I then also find out the dude who I spent the 1st round explaining cover too was picking 2nd and had beat the R2 lock my squad in the room guy in the 3rd who I lost to in Rd 2. Turns out the TO put the wrong score in and gave him the win Rd1, so ALL the matchups are screwy now. The guy who had R2 and Vader went 3-0. I ended up 5th with the correction, but the 4th guy went with a bacta tank, so for all my trouble I got a Mouse Droid which made me happy! :D

Wow what a brutal night! I can't wait for JA!

Post subject: Re: 3/18 Sealed Monster's Den Mpls MN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Holy crap dude....sounds like it might be worth it to lodge a complaint with the store owner. Can't be healthy for the game if the person running the tournaments isn't following all the rules. And playing with a time limit AND without gambit in a sealed event is just nuts, especially with two Override pieces in the set and no counters. No common sense....bummer.

Post subject: Re: 3/18 Sealed Monster's Den Mpls MN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:26 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Talk about DRAMA! Sucks about the whole pairing match-ups, never had that happen before. We've had small mistakes that were caught automatically, but nothing that huge...