All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Relay Orders
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:02 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Just to confirm I'm understanding this correctly from the IE mini-FAQ:

IE mini-FAQ wrote:
Q: Is the character with Relay Orders affected itself by commander effects?
A: No. But if you had two characters with Relay Orders each could potentially affect the other.

So, if I have a commander that's in range of Mouse Droid 1 and then there's a Mouse Droid 2 that's out of range of the commander but IN range of BOTH Mouse Droid 1 and a character to receive the orders...that works? In other words, you can "chain" Mouse Droids together?

Post subject: Re: Relay Orders
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:23 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

If I understand your question, then the answer is 'yes'. What the mini-FAQ is referring to is that if Mouse Droid 1 was relaying a CE that affected Droids, the MD1 wouldn't benefit but if MD2 was within 6 of MD1 then both MD1 and MD2 would benefit. But then again these are droids we're talking about, so there really isn't anything that helps it out (unless you want to give your MD Double Attack and +4 Attack for no damage, lol)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:34 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Well, I hadn't thought about the relaying orders to other Droids, so that's a helpful to know. :D

However, it's not really what I was asking. How about this situation:

Princess Leia is within range of Mouse Droid 1 and wants to give Luke that extra hit. Luke is within range of Mouse Droid 2. Mouse Droid 1 is within range of Mouse Droid 2.

Essentially, can I chain together two or more MDs to get Leia's CE (who is hiding at the back of my set-up area) to go all the way across the map to Luke (who is in my opponent's set-up area)?

Is the Relay Orders only good for a single use: Commander-Moue Droid-Receiver?

Or is Relay Orders good for multiple "hops": Commander-Mouse Droid-Mouse Droid-Mouse Droid-Receiver?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Xffan_2000 wrote:
Well, I hadn't thought about the relaying orders to other Droids, so that's a helpful to know. :D

However, it's not really what I was asking. How about this situation:

Princess Leia is within range of Mouse Droid 1 and wants to give Luke that extra hit. Luke is within range of Mouse Droid 2. Mouse Droid 1 is within range of Mouse Droid 2.

Essentially, can I chain together two or more MDs to get Leia's CE (who is hiding at the back of my set-up area) to go all the way across the map to Luke (who is in my opponent's set-up area)?

Is the Relay Orders only good for a single use: Commander-Moue Droid-Receiver?

Or is Relay Orders good for multiple "hops": Commander-Mouse Droid-Mouse Droid-Mouse Droid-Receiver?

I think you're misunderstanding the Mouse Droid a bit. Rage CE's are also counted from the Mouse Droid regardless of how close it is to the original commander. You don't need to 'chain' them together to extend a normally range 6 CE across the board. All you need is a commander, a Mouse Droid and someone who can benefit from the commander's CE within CE range of EITHER the commander OR the Mouse Droid.

What the first post is talking about is that the Mouse Droid itself does not benefit from a CE it is relaying (if it applied to Droids in the first place) but could benefit from a CE that applied to Droids if it was within X squares of another allied Mouse Droid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xffan_2000 wrote:

Princess Leia wants to give Luke that extra hit. Luke is within range of Mouse Droid 2.

I think you are overthinking the scenario. If I edit your question to the above then you have the answer. You don't need to "chain" or "hop" anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Ah! I see my problem. I was trying to make the MD have a range of 6 as well for *receiving* the CE. (Which would mean a "need" for a chain of them.)

I get it now...the *receiver* only needs to be within range of the MD. The MD doesn't have to be in range (let's say, within 6) of the commander.

Of course, if I've still got it wrong, please correct me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have it correct. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:25 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I think the easiest way of thinking of a Mouse Droid is that it's a 3-pt "commander" with the same CE's as the primary commanders on the board with their ranges.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Markedman247 wrote:
I think the easiest way of thinking of a Mouse Droid is that it's a 3-pt "commander" with the same CE's as the primary commanders on the board with their ranges.

Yup, this is a pretty good way to think about it. Except that it doesn't work 100% that way once Disruptive is involved. But if that's the case, just remember that only the people being affected by the CE are Disrupted, and not the Mouse Droid or Relay Orders itself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I didn't want to bring in the Disruptive portion of the discussion as it adds another complication. Since its a Special Ability that's relaying the CE, it can't be disrupted if the MD is within the Disruptive Range.

There's simple and then there "Simple but with an addendum." I was trying to K.I.S.S. the machinations of the MD.