logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: energy shield
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

If a Jedi Weapons Master (or a character with deflect) is adjacent to the gungan shieldbearer and is hit from a non adjacent attack can you make your opponent roll their save first? If they make their save can you then roll your deflect save, thus giving you two chances to avoid being hit?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: energy shield
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm. I know in the case of Djem So Syle you need to make your Riposte first, so this could indicate something similiar for Energy Shield and Deflect. I will look more on the WOTC site when it comes back online. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Quickly looking at the card text, both Energy/Molecular Shields and Lightsaber Deflect say "when hit by a non-melee attack". So, each ability triggers when you are hit by an attack, but before the damage is assessed. Since they are simultaneous effects, I would think you can force your opponent to roll their Energy/Molecular Shield save first, and then choose whether to do Deflect or not.

As Boba52 said though, it could be similar to the Riposte/Djem So interaction though, so probably best to check with NickName on the WOTC boards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here we go. This is what I was looking for-

From the FAQ section Resolving Effects part 10

Resolve effects that trigger when this character is hit. Some effects trigger (or can voluntarily be triggered) when the target is hit by an attack, such as Evade, Flurry, Lightsaber Block, Lightsaber Deflect, Lightsaber Reflect, and Lightsaber Riposte. (Force Points may be used to reroll saves on this step, if the character is still able to use Force Points during this turn.) If multiple effects trigger, use the simultaneous effects rule to determine the order in which they are resolved. You may see the results of one effect before resolving another, but no single effect may be resolved more than once. For example, a character can never Lightsaber Deflect the same attack twice. (Effects such as Flurry and Lightsaber Riposte begin new attack sequences that interrupt this sequence; resolve the new attack completely, then continue where you left off with the original attack.)

So, yes you can roll the Shields first and then decide to Deflect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well....I'd still check with NickName.

Technically, Riposte and Djem So are both simultaneous effects as well, and it just so happens that there are characters that naturally have both abilities. So it made sense for a glossary wording of Djem So to include the interaction with Riposte, saying that you had to spend the FPs for Riposte before seeing the outcome of the Djem So.

I'm pretty sure that in the case, it's OK to do it as Boba52 has said, otherwise I think NickName would have ruled it otherwise at some point. But I would still double check with him to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well Lobo, what I did was find a posting of the same question from last Oct. Nickname didn't chime in so I can only assume he was OK with it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

thanks a lot guys, that is the answer i was looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So I asked the question over on Wizos to get NN's attention and here is the repsonse. Very good question.

Nick Name wrote:
A few items like Djem So are exceptions but they explicitly say so, and say what must be resolved before/after. Energy Shield and Deflect however affect different characters. And the rulebook says the following:

Quote:
Player’s Choice: If several effects apply to one player’s character or characters, that player determines the order.

Acting Player First: If the effects apply to more than one player’s characters, the acting player (the one whose character is doing something) goes first.

So based on that, it appears you would be required to resolve the Energy Shield first as the attacker is acting.

(Funny, I would not have guessed this, so I'm glad I looked it up.)