logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Rebel Storm's Boba Fett: Retired or still spry?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I was looking at possible fun interactions with the new pieces and I realized that Boba Fett from RS could potentially make a comeback. Sure he isn't as sexy as Merc or BH, he still has a pretty good synergy with the Twi'lek BSV if combined with Rebels and New Rep. I was just wondering if anyone else feels that way?

Post subject: Re: Rebel Storm's Boba Fett: Retired or still spry?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you put your finger over the cost and just look at the stats then sure. :P

I don't think he fits in NR at all. Just comare him straight up to Han GH (or even MJJ for that matter) and then add in that with Han you don't need TBSV or Wedge.

Rebel, sure he is a nice accurate shooter, but again I think you could find much better uses for the 50 pts.

In a fun squad sure, but that is not where you posted. :wink:

I am pretty sure if I wanted to do this combo I would always end up spending the extra 6 pts for Jango or the 8 for Merc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:33 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I look at it this way.

Boba RS is basically the same as Boba Merc, the main difference being that Merc has Intuition and Cunning, and costs 8 points more. However, Boba RS does have 1 higher Defense (20 as opposed to Merc's 19), and he has a +12 base attack. So, Boba RS can only be a +16 max, while Merc can be a +18, but all for 8 points less. I think it's a decent trade off.

Both versions work well with the Rieekan/TBSV combo. So I really think it comes down to how you're trying to build your squad. I really think the extra 8 points for Boba Merc's Cunning and Intuition is WELL worth it in most situations. It gives him a unique ability to escape from enemy melee pieces, even when you lose init, and then run another 6 squares after shooting twice. So I think that alone makes him well worth the extra 8 points. However, if you're building a squad and you just absolutely cannot give up 8 points anywhere, then I think Boba RS should work perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Classic case of people over stating the improvements. Sorry Boba52, gotta call you out on this one. The differences between Boba and Boba Merc or Jango do slightly favor the extra 6/8pts. But you are forgetting, that Boba RS is still a good buy for his cost. Up until BHs, Boba RS was the shooter of choice for 1/2 of the competitive squads (other 1/2 used Aurra, and many used both at the same time). Just because you get a little more for the extra cost, does not mean that the original is now "bad".

And that's what most players do and say. Just because you have no reason to run the old Boba, does not mean that its now a "bad figure".

Think it through again. If you don't have access to Boba BH, Jango, or Boba Merc (guy at the lgs on Sat has this exact scenario) and for that matter, any other 50+ pt shooter, Boba is a darn good figure. If you want him to have evade and GMA you can, but its not necessary.

I suggest this. Force yourself to play a game with a piece you feel has "been replaced". Now, specifically I am not talking about bad pieces that the new version is significantly better - as nothing was in fact replaced in the competitive game. But take a figure like the RS Boba, put him in with some support (I'd go with R2-AM over the Evade/GMA combo) and see if he doesn't perform well.

What made him great in the past still makes him great today, its just now you have other options. But there certainly are cases where you might not want to spend the extra 8pts, or just cant afford it.

Take this squad for example:

Boba Fett 50
Captain Rex 33
R2-AM 9
Ugo X2

I would take that against just about any other 100pt squad out there, and you can't fit in Merc, BH or Jango without losing R2, Rex or the ugos (none of which improves the squad in anyway).

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

uh I am pretty sure I never said Boba RS was "bad" and I was commenting on how the OP said he wanted to use the combo of TBSV, (Wedge NR or Riekaan) with Boba and I posted my opinion on what I would do. I am pretty sure Lobo ended your POV when he said "However, if you're building a squad and you just absolutely cannot give up 8 points anywhere, then I think Boba RS should work perfectly fine."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Quote:
Take this squad for example:

Boba Fett 50
Captain Rex 33
R2-AM 9
Ugo X2

I would take that against just about any other 100pt squad out there, and you can't fit in Merc, BH or Jango without losing R2, Rex or the ugos (none of which improves the squad in anyway).

I think shaak, ti JM + caamasi or 2 JWM's in place of Boba in that 100 pt squad would be an improvement in almost every match up. Or even Boba, Enforcer + Human BG + Uggie.

I think you would be hardpressed to make a squad with the RS Boba that wouldn't be better off with other pieces in his place. Whether its a new version of Boba or other pieces. Boba, Merc and Boba, BH are on par with the other great pieces. RS Boba is probably better than half the pieces that come out in most of the newer sets but that doesn't mean there isn't alot of better options when you actually sit down to make a squad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I don't think Boba Fett will ever be a bad piece. Solid pieces like Boba or CS Aurra or RS Palpy will never be "bad" pieces. And I don't think Boba52 was saying so.

I still remember all the fun I had with General Windu, R2 Astro, and RS Boba Fett after the release of CotF. Everybody whom I played with said that "Triple Boba is so amazing!" :lol: But the game has developed quite a bit since that point. Now, there is little doubt that there are now some much better versions of Boba to choose from. Yes, if you can't afford the 6 or 8 pts, then you go for RS Boba--of course. But if you have the 8 points, I see no solid reason to use RS Boba if TFU Boba is available. RS Boba is not bad...he's just been replaced in his former role as the best Boba.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

What is spry?

Yeah 100 is propabaly the best place.