Crate
Cost: 1
HP: 10
Def: 8
Atk: -
Dam: -

Special abilities:
Non-living
Movable Emplacement: This character cannot move on its own nor change position through effects such as swap. This character is subject to effects which cause it to move, such as Lift and Force Push. This character can be set up anywhere on your half of the board at initial setup. This character cannot be activated, and cannot gain points if gambit rules are used. This character is not considered the closest target when determining a valid target. It is considered a character for determining cover.

Breakable: If this character is moved into a square containing another character, that character takes 10 damage, save 11. If the opposing character made its save, the crate stops in a square adjacent to the target selected by the character moving the crate. If the opposing character fails its save, this character is defeated. If this character is subject to a Force Whirlwind attack, all other character affected by the same attack take +10 damage if they fail their save.

The idea behind this is to provide a simple 1 point filler that interacts with the other characters. A crate is useful to hold open a door, or to provide mobile cover. It gives the T1 or ASP something to bash characters with. It gives those with Force Push another way to damage charaters, or spread the range of the effect.

Best of all, there are many 3D fold-up paper model sites that have 1 inch crates.

What do you think?

Basic Studies: 397/540 [RS:51/60, CS:41/60, SITH:47/60, UNV:46/60, COTF:54/60, BH:51/60, AE:51/60, FU:51/60, LF:51/60]
Advanced: 47/102 [ATAT:1/1, ENDOR:4/4, R&I:5/24, SS2007:6/6, HBP:17/17; PROMOS 14/60]

Last edited by lt_murgen on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The 1 point Crate.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the concept. I think it needs to have something saying that it doesn't count as an activation and can't collect gambit or be used for victory points to keep it from being abused. Like it doesn't count as an enemy for purposes of movement. Things like this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:42 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

excellent point. I will adjust the above to reflect something like that.

I still think it needs to be considered a viable target, however. If someone wants to waste an activation to shoot and destroy it, then they would gain 1 point.

Basic Studies: 397/540 [RS:51/60, CS:41/60, SITH:47/60, UNV:46/60, COTF:54/60, BH:51/60, AE:51/60, FU:51/60, LF:51/60]
Advanced: 47/102 [ATAT:1/1, ENDOR:4/4, R&I:5/24, SS2007:6/6, HBP:17/17; PROMOS 14/60]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

There is also issue of benefiting from CEs, which can be cleared up in defining Non-living. Don't want to leave any loop holes.

If it is not considered a valid target by targeting rules, why have a Def? Or did you mean, this character does not count as the closest character when choosing a target?

For the breakable SA, I would recommend that the crate is defeated regardless if the save is made or not. My reasoning is if ASP wields it as a weapon, it would break.

Of course this could lead to the creation of crate's big sister, Blast Crate. Cost 2, counts as a wall for cover purpose, immune to blaster fire and grenades 20 (destroyed by grenades 30 or higher, missiles, or lightsaber).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:09 am 

good point about the targetting rules.

The intention is to make it so that characters without accurate shot did not HAVE to shoot the crate if it was the closest target. I will change the wording to reflect that.

As for breakable- if the ASP misses, the crate doesn't break. If it hits, it does. If the crate is in a Force whirlwind, it will take 20 points, just like anyone else. It breaks up, and the splinters do +10 to everyone else. I think the wording reflects this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Very cool idea and the fact that it can't count as an activation but it does cost points is very balancing. With that in mind you could have clusters to push around :)

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:51 pm 

The one issue I thought of was this scenario:

Force User A replaces thier attack with a force push, to send a crate skittering across the floor and adjacent to a door. They then can move up to 6 squares.

Is the door considered open BEFORE the force user moves, so they can move through it?

My contention would be that "yes" it would. A door is considered open at the end of the activating character's move. In this case, that character is the crate, not the Force User. Thus, it would open and allow the force user to move through it.

Anyone see issues with this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Doors only open at the end of the ACTING character's turn. The situation you are describing is no different than using Force Push on any enemy as the game works right now. You do not check for doors to be open/closed until the end of a character's turn. When you Force Pushed the crate next to the door, did any character end its turn? No, you only ended your attack phase. AFTER you end your movement phase as well, THEN the door would open.

I would make the Crate more like Obi/Luke FS where it can't open doors.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:00 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

It should have more hp, heck, right now, a stormtrooper could blast it away ;)

"Jackson: What's this?
Carter: This is ethylpropyl...
Jackson: Which is?
Carter: Nerve gas.
Jackson: Okay. Putting that back."