logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Fantastic Four (150 points of Force Goodness)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hey everyone,

It's me again! This week our tourney is 150 points. I think that in my squad idea post for a 200 point Revan squad I mentioned I prefer playing my favourite pieces rather than the extremely competitive squads. Well because of the point limitation I was hoping to make a fun/good Cade squad. Here is my idea

--Fantastic Four--
Luke Skywalker, and Yoda (70)
Cade Skywalker (61)
Rebel Vanguard (11)
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit (8)
{150 points, 4 activations.}

The idea of this squad is that on most maps I can make it to gambit first turn by spending Cade's Renewal to open a door in between me and gambit, or possibly getting there himself. And if he doesn't reach it, I can have Loda spend force points to move the extra spaces needed to end in gambit. This forces my opponent to either find a way there first turn also, or to come fight me because of my automatic 5 point lead. If it isn't already obvious Obi would be connected to Cade. My thought was that I could have Cade stand behind Loda and heal him if necessary and pop out for Twins in between heals. If I miss a shot, fprr it for an almost for sure hit because of mettle. The vanguard would stay hidden at all times and wait for the perfect chance to missile somebody. I don't mind sacrificing him because he could kill someone to cover his own 11 points. But I could do something like stun their hero piece, or a main Commander, and then just missile him and shoot at him until he is dead.

Please give advice on how to use this squad or other way's to make a fun and slightly challenging Cade Skywalker squad.

-Bobby

Post subject: Re: Fantastic Four (150 points of Force Goodness)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Ok, challenge accepted :)

I wasn't quite clear, do you really just want to run Cade and are looking for a fun way to do it, or both Cade and Loda together?

If its the latter, I would probably just drop the Vanquard for 3 uggies. You really don't want to waste Cade's turn opening a door as you suggested.

If its the former, then let's go with a lesser Luke. Luke CotF is a good combo with Cade, but personally, I would go with Luke, Jedi right now. He is a melee beast for his cost, but also lets you work in a Han and Leia/Bothan combo. There are several Han's that would be great for Cade, Han ST for charging fire (also works great for getting a melee piece into battle), Han RH for extra dmg on an init win (probably want to round out with some init control then), or Han Smuggler just for some late round dmg. Han on Tauntaun could give you two healing options for your melee piece as well.

Personally, I would run Luke Jedi, Han on Tauntaun (or Han RH) with a Bothan and Cade. That way, the bothan can give Cade extra shots. It would look like this at 150:

--Cade on Tauntaun--
61 Cade Skywalker, Bounty Hunter
27 Han Solo on Tauntaun
23 Jarael
17 Bothan Noble
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
8 R2-D2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 8 activations)

or alternately:

--Cade Skywalker, Rebel Hero--
35 Han Solo, Rebel Hero
17 Bothan Noble
13 Rebel Trooper on Tauntaun
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
7 Leia Organa, Senator
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 9 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

You were right, I just want a squad built around Cade.

I like having Jarael in that first squad, but when looking at the Han's I would prefer to have the rebel hero, although I can't control init. I also like R2-D2 in there because he can take Cade where I want him. With Leia Senator, I still don't entirely understand how diplomat works, so if I were to use her, could you explain how that works?

I noticed that you said you would have Luke Jedi in there, but in neither of the squads did you use him. Was that just an idea for if I was going to have Luke and Cade?

Is there a way I can give Cade something like Charging Fire, so R2 could move him 12, then he could move 12, and take shots on multiple characters. He would obviously get shot up the next turn, but if set up right I could do something like a retreat 12 back to R2, take shots on any visible enemies and then have R2 carry him back into safety, just a thought I guess...

Thanks for these ideas, I will have to start practicing them on Vassal tonight and the rest of this week, although I have loads of homework now that the quarter has started again.

-Bobby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm 

Couple of things. Han in Stormtrooper gives Cade Charging Fire, and he costs 25, and is a good option.

The Rebel R2 does not have tow cable. So if you want to tow Cade, gonna have to switch to Republic.

As far as Luke goes, yeah, I dropped him for Jarael in the first build I was making for you, since you wanted Obi FS in there. But it was more of an idea of how to get a Luke in there with Cade if that was what you were after, since I wasn't sure.

If you like the Cade Cannon ideas then I would go to the Republic. Here's an idea that is similar to the Revan build you ran last week so it might be close enough to provide some similar strategies.

--Cade Cannon--
23 Padme Amidala, Senator
23 Lando Calrissian, Hero of Taanab
13 Czerka Scientist
12 Human Scoundrel
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 9 activations)

Basically, give Cade 6X jolt options, then Lando and human clean up with Opp shots.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:42 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well wouldn't using R2 to Jolt bomb them be hard, or is the idea to not move him 12 out, just to move him a few spaces to get him positioned... I guess my question is, should I use R2 unconventionally and not take Cade 12, so that he can stay within Czerka range?

Do you think the Han in Stormtrooper idea would work well? Might be hard to do without having Cade get all shot to bits afterwards.

So many options its hard to choose!

-Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cade's largest use in getting off as many attacks as you possibly can. So using him with Han Stormtrooper is somewhat counter-productive, IMO. You only get two shots, and then he's also left out in the open at the end of that 12 square run.

Using R2's tow cable just kind of depends on what options you have available to you. Sometimes you'll want to fly the full 12 squares and peg away at something. Sometimes, you just end up using Tow Cable to move just a square or two to get a better shot on something. You can always move the Czerka and R2 Astromech in one round, and then move Cade and Padme in the following round (though you run the risk of your opponent moving his unactivated piece out of LOS in between, so best to only do this when you can force your opponent into a choice between what piece(s) he wants to lose). Sometimes, you can even use R2 Astromech as sort of a Mobile Attack option with Cade. Tow Cable and flip Cade out just beyond a corner, then take your Twin Attack and move back behind the wall, keeping both Cade and R2 completely out of LOS.

Personally, I like using New Republic with Cade the most. Toss in General Wedge Antilles and Garm Bel Iblis, and now Cade can move a square or two, make all 4 attacks, and then move a square back into hiding. If you use Luke Force Spirit, you can move 4 squares total. Course, that doesn't really leave you any space for other pieces in a 150 point squad (1 ugo), but Garm's reinforcements can help to round out your squad if you need more activations, or you can bring in a Bothan Noble or a Rauntaun for init control, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:57 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well that's a good point. But If I were able to give Cade Accurate couldn't he just run out twelve and take 2 shots on as many targets as I could see, assuming he had charging fire? I also like you New Republic idea, I am playing my brother tonight so I will have to test that one out.

-Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Do you mean give Han Accurate? If so, Han's measly +8 Attack means even if he can attack everything he can see, he's not often going to hit them. I mean, heck, he has a 40% chance to miss an attack on an Ugnaught in cover, and needs nearly a crit to hit most big jedi pieces!

On the other hand, I think you may be confusing Charging Fire with Furious Assault. Charging Fire just lets you move up to 12 squares and then make a single attack (or Twin for two attacks in Cade's case). Han's special abilty Furious Assault allows him to move up to 12 squares and then attack all legal targets. VERY different abilities.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Oh, I meant Furious assault then. I was getting slightly confused. But with Furious assault would you need Accurate shot to be able to shoot people, or is it just all enemies you can see?

-Bobby

P.S. I just found this Avatar picture, looks pretty cool in my opinion :]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Han's Furious Assault allows you to attack all legal targets. If Han has Accurate Shot, that usually means he can shoot anything he can see. However, pieces with Cloak or 'super' Stealth would fall outside of those bounds as well. If Han does NOT have Accurate Shot, then it becomes a situation where he can shoot any pieces that do not have cover, and he can shoot a piece (or pieces if they are the same distance away from Han) in cover if it's the closest target. Furious Assault can be tricky. Either way, I wouldn't really recommend that as a way to improve Cade's effectiveness. Han Stormtrooper is best used with other combinations.