logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Thrawn vs Shado
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This came up during a game the other day.

I'm aware you can use LS Prescision against a force immune character (i.e. a vong) and can't spend FP's inside Thrawn's bubble, but this is the conundrum me and my friend had.

Shado Vao spends an FP on Prescision, one square outside the Ysalmiri/Force Immunity bubble. He then moves 6 squares into the bubble adjacent to Thrawn...if he then attacks the Grand Admirial, will LS Prescision trigger on his first attack (as usual)?

I said yes, arguing that the bonus was "made availbile" by spending the FP outside the bubble, so to speak, and triggered once he made his attack, and following the definition of Force Immunity, because it wasn't a force power affecting Thrawn like Lightning, he got the extra damage (in the same way one could use "Use the Force" or Sith Rage outside the bubble, and they'd trigger on the attack(s) made in the bubble.)

My friend's argument was that whilst you could spend outside the bubble, once you entered the six squares, Shado gained Force Immunity, and therefore could no longer benefit from Force Powers or Force Re-rolls etc. so the bonus from Prescision (or rage etc.) no longer applied.

Help?!

Post subject: Re: Thrawn vs Shado
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Shadows wrote:
Shado Vao spends an FP on Prescision, one square outside the Ysalmiri/Force Immunity bubble. He then moves 6 squares into the bubble adjacent to Thrawn...if he then attacks the Grand Admirial, will LS Prescision trigger on his first attack (as usual)?

I said yes, arguing that the bonus was "made availbile" by spending the FP outside the bubble, so to speak, and triggered once he made his attack, and following the definition of Force Immunity, because it wasn't a force power affecting Thrawn like Lightning, he got the extra damage (in the same way one could use "Use the Force" or Sith Rage outside the bubble, and they'd trigger on the attack(s) made in the bubble.)

My friend's argument was that whilst you could spend outside the bubble, once you entered the six squares, Shado gained Force Immunity, and therefore could no longer benefit from Force Powers or Force Re-rolls etc. so the bonus from Prescision (or rage etc.) no longer applied.

Help?!

You got it right. Precision can be used outside of the bubble, and then move into the bubble, and it still works. Same things works for Sith Rage and Use the Force. These are all powers that affect the next time you attack situations. However, things like L Sweep, L Assault, etc., cannot, because the FP's for them must be spent at the exact moment when the power would be used.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I'm not sure you are right on this one dv. I think those abilities need to be used immediately before an attack is made. Can some one else chime in please?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

R5Don4 is correct.

This is addressed directly in the glossary for Lightsaber Precision

For further clarification on some of the other abilities-

Official FAQ wrote:
Q: Can I spend Force points for a power such as Use the Force or Sith Rage earlier in the turn before actually making an attack? The wording doesn't say I have to spend the Force point immediately prior to the attack the way that Lightsaber Precision does, and it could be important when dealing with abilities such as Ysalamiri.

A: You must spend the Force point immediately upon declaring an attack, an ability that replaces attacks, or movement. You cannot spend points early and have the power "stored" for later use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I'm a goof! I'll admit it :)
For some reason, I thought there were those three exceptions. My bad . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I tried to get away with using Sith Rage outside of a Force Defense bubble. Sucks it doesn't work...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:17 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Nuts, my dislike for that darn Ysalmiri just increased again.

Ah well, thanks for the quick reply guys, now I can prepare myself for his inevitable gloating...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL, Ray....I don't think there are ANY exceptions when it comes to the Force Powers. The easy way to remember it is you can't "store" Force Powers for later use. Something similar to this came up with our group on Thursday with Luke COTF and Use The Force.