logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: BDO/GG-DAC +4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Please confirm that the Battle Droid Officer's Fire Control doesn't stack with General Grievous - DAC's commander effect.

The player had a BDO and GG-DAC on his team and wanted +8 because Fire Control "was a named ability and thus different from GG's commander effect."

I ruled that they are both giving a straight, unnamed bonus to the same stat and can't stack, so it was +4 and not +8. (I said that the BDO had Fire Control, he didn't grant the Fire Control ability to others.)

The thing that's giving me the most fits is that I've seen a whole bunch of Droid squads with both the BDO and GG, and I'm wondering why you'd want both if the bonuses don't stack. :?

Post subject: Re: BDO/GG-DAC +4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool is correct. GGDAC and the BDO do in fact stack, and it's simply because the BDO's Fire Control is a Special Ability, while GGDAC's +4 is from a Commander Effect.

Honestly, this is no different than with the old Grievous Supreme Commander who also grated +4 and Double, and that always stacked with the BDO.

Yes, +8 is brutal with the various new Droids. There are plenty of ways to beat it though. Honestly, the +4 to Defense and Twin Attack give me more irritation than the extra +4 to attack though, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:15 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Okay. I'll buy it. :wink: Just one of those weird situations that didn't work the way I thought it should.

We've never really seen any Droid squads played around here until this new set. Most people don't have Clone Strike/RotS pieces, and I just don't like Separatists. So, the old Grievous-SC/BDO combo never came up. (Good reference, though, Aaron.)

It's certainly better for me to rule incorrectly now in the casual environment, so I know better for the tournament!

I'll let my players know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:14 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

One way to beat it is this squad right here didnt do bad against lancer ggdac cs sid i got only one kill but thats because i messed up a movement which would have kept the lancer from being able to strafe next round cause i won init and it would have been dead. this is the squad

4 'ol Rebels

General Wedge 23
General Dodonna 8
Kyle Katarn JBM 54
Han Solo GH 50
Czerka Scientist 13
Human Scoundrel x3 36
Ugnaught Demolisionist x5 15

With double disruptive lancer will have fun attacking everyone and if you can get a shot off with han at the beginning of round your golden cause then you can then either shoot with your scoundrels for opportunist cause han hopefully will jolt the lancer. Personally i would go the safe way and just grip 10 with KK JBM no more lancer and all you really have to worry about is the IGs hopfully you can make your evade saves. I made a major mistake on where i left han at the end of the round cause i didnt use him for cunning so i set up for next round and i instead of giving him a for sure shot on the lancer i left him in a safer spot but i lost anyway. I have never seen Dnemiller lose with this squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Decent squad idea, but better kept out of the Rules section, for future reference.

Oh, and Jolt doesn't work against Droids.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

LoboStele wrote:

Oh Aaron, here you go :)

viewtopic.php?p=39258#p39258

Jolt has no requirement other than to hit an enemy character.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

At one time, xffan, you were correct. Guy Fullerton, when he was rules rep, ruled as you did.

Rob later overruled him, saying he wanted special abilities to stack (Exar Kun's CE had something to do with it.)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
At one time, xffan, you were correct. Guy Fullerton, when he was rules rep, ruled as you did.

Rob later overruled him, saying he wanted special abilities to stack (Exar Kun's CE had something to do with it.)

Man, I don't remember that at all. :)

I do remember there was some short term concern about the bonus of a SA granted by a CE and a direct bonus granted by a CE (ex. Careful Shot +4 Att and GG direct +4 Att both being from a CE and thus not stacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Man, I don't remember that at all. :)

I do remember there was some short term concern about the bonus of a SA granted by a CE and a direct bonus granted by a CE (ex. Careful Shot +4 Att and GG direct +4 Att both being from a CE and thus not stacking.

I remember it because the weekend Rob overruled it was the same weekend as the Carbondale, IL convention of 2006, and I insisted that Moses (as the judge) support the ruling so I could play with my +20 Attack Destroyer and Viper Droids in his 200 pt. tournament. :P

I ended up losing anyway, of course.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Oh Aaron, here you go :)

viewtopic.php?p=39258#p39258

Jolt has no requirement other than to hit an enemy character.

Doh!

That's what I get for just answering things off the top of my head. Could have sworn Jolt was only against Living targets.